Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Torque Wrench Recommendation?

Blue Jacket

I have 3/8 drive and 1/2" drive Snap-on torque wrenches that I have had for many years (1/2 was made in 1969, 3/8 in 1998). I have had them checked and both are still within tolerance. At the steel mill, we use Proto torque wrenches and have not had any issues with them. The ratchet heads are smaller on the Snap-on and can get into a tighter place, not a big deal at the mill, but may come into play on cars. I have seen some interesting tests on YouTube with the new Harbor Freight Icon brand of torque wrench, and they look like the quality is good, but I have no experience with them.

Hurley

Torque, shmork, tighten it till it breaks and back it off half a turn!.........Oh .......uh......like Hurly said! Snap on can be found at most pawn shops/ on line and will check them for free to make sure they are in tolerence. 

CDI Torque. You can grab them on Amazon. It's a Snap-On Industrial brand (along with others, like Williams, Bahco, etc.). Good quality without the huge price tag of the Snap-On name. I have like 3 or 4 of them. Originally bought them for automotive stuff, but use them for guns too.

29 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

CDI Torque. You can grab them on Amazon. It's a Snap-On Industrial brand (along with others, like Williams, Bahco, etc.). Good quality without the huge price tag of the Snap-On name. I have like 3 or 4 of them. Originally bought them for automotive stuff, but use them for guns too.

I just saw CDI Torque for the first time today while over at Limcat Customs. They like the tools and said pretty much the same thing as above. I will also look into these tools. 

CDI also has/had a nice inch pound driver for rings n such

CDI Torque 401SM Micro Adjustable Torque Screwdriver, Torque Range 5 to 40-Inch Pounds                                                                                                                        

14 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

+1

It's what we use at work.

19 hours ago, kurtm said:

Torque, shmork, tighten it till it breaks and back it off half a turn!.........Oh .......uh......like Hurly said! Snap on can be found at most pawn shops/ on line and will check them for free to make sure they are in tolerence. 

Brilliant idea checking the pawn shop. I’ll do that and if I can’t find one I’ll check out CDI. Thanks!!

17 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

CDI and Precision Instruments made torque wrenchs for Snap-On until about 10 years ago. The Snap-On made their own the electronic torque wrenches. The CDI and Precision Instruments are a lot better. I have both including some that are 40 years old. The CDI/Precision are much better than the in house Snap-On wrenches and are a lot cheaper.

• 2 months later...