Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DDP Pro issues

chenault

36 minutes ago, Roons said:

Well, I got both Deltapoints back from Leupold today. Took 3 weeks. Both of them had paper work saying they had "Bad Circuit Module" and replaced the Circuit Board. 

Unfortunately, they didn't actually fix the issue with unit ending with serial #AD that had the rattling sound and broken accelerometer. :(  I'm completely disappointed as you can clearly hear something inside the unit rattling. In addition to a note I included in the box explaining the issue with the unit, I explained it in detail prior to sending in. Its like they didn't even check the unit and disregarded the rattling sound. The unit will only turn on manually and turns itself off after 5 minutes. There is no way to keep it on even after trying other batteries besides the new one they sent back with the unit. 

Anyways, this unit will go back for repair today as I already called, they apologized, and are sending me another RML. Hopefully it won't take another 3 weeks. 

I would call them and ask them to turn it around in a week.  That’s what I did and basically wouldn’t accept the 4-6 week answer.  Especially in your situation, I would ask to speak to someone other than the CS rep who picks up the phone, get a manager who can make that decision.  They turned mine pretty quick once I raised a little Hell (nicely)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to send one back because the latch that holds the battery cover closed came off while shooting. At first I thought my X5 Legion through a piece of brass to my head until I tried to look through the lens again and noticed the battery door was blocking my view.

Called CS to see if they would just send me the latch and spring but of course they wouldn’t. They did create a rush order on my account so that it would get repaired ASAP. They received it on Friday and it was repaired an back in the mail by Thursday. 

I also mentioned on Tuesday when I called that I needed it repaired ASAP because I had matches that weekend which is why I was trying to purchase the parts to repair it myself. I also mentioned I had planned to purchase a second unit for a backup and the CS rep said he would make me a great deal on a new unit and have it shipped second day air for free so I would have it before the weekend if I was interested.

Needless to say this was a no brainer because the price they quoted me was considerably cheaper than the one I purchased online and that was the cheapest I could find. 

Second unit is running great and between the two I have over 3000 rounds on them, most of which is on the second unit. Hopefully I won’t experience the issues the others have had with them. 

Edited by Cowboy1629

On 8/1/2019 at 1:08 AM, lstange said:

To prevent the springy contact from sliding back under recoil, I cut a narrow strip of transparent plastic packaging (about 0.5 mm thick) and slid it below the contact so that the ends are over the sticker. Don't know how long this contraption will last.

2019_0731_3269.jpg

Update after 3k rounds: no issues, the contact stays in the middle.

6 hours ago, inkballedtarget said:

I just picked up the CO gun working towards next year. My G34 has the an impressive 1100 rounds on it and the DPP went out this evening. I will contact Leupold tomorrow morning about sending it in. Are yall calling and talking with someone specific or just tech support? 

Just fill out the support form on their web page, follow the directions, and put a printed copy in the box with the optic.  Then wait .....

8 hours ago, inkballedtarget said:

I just picked up the CO gun working towards next year. My G34 has the an impressive 1100 rounds on it and the DPP went out this evening. I will contact Leupold tomorrow morning about sending it in. Are yall calling and talking with someone specific or just tech support? 

Better to call them up, they will give u an RMA so it doesn't cost you shipping. I sent one in that they received on Sep 24 , they shipped back to me on Sep 26. I have had excellent service from them.

I called when I had issues with the battery door latch.  They created an account and put a rush order in so when they received it they would get it repaired faster. It was in their shop less than a week.  When I got it back the latch was replaced an they even replaced the circuit board even though I wasn’t having any issues with it. It was only 30 days old and had what looked to me to be the newer board as seen in this post. 

Anyway if I were to do it again I would call first and let them setup everything on their end first if I was in a hurry. 

3 hours ago, GregJ said:

Just fill out the support form on their web page, follow the directions, and put a printed copy in the box with the optic.  Then wait .....

1 hour ago, hiflyer51 said:

Better to call them up, they will give u an RMA so it doesn't cost you shipping. I sent one in that they received on Sep 24 , they shipped back to me on Sep 26. I have had excellent service from them.

1 hour ago, Cowboy1629 said:

I called when I had issues with the battery door latch.  They created an account and put a rush order in so when they received it they would get it repaired faster. It was in their shop less than a week.  When I got it back the latch was replaced an they even replaced the circuit board even though I wasn’t having any issues with it. It was only 30 days old and had what looked to me to be the newer board as seen in this post. 

Anyway if I were to do it again I would call first and let them setup everything on their end first if I was in a hurry. 

Thanks for the pro tips. I will give them a call here in a few.

Are all slide mounted optics going to have these issues, or is the DPP unique in how many failures its having? I guess my question is where do you go from here? Do you jump ship and try another optic, or do you double down on the DPP and just put them in a rotation? 

5 minutes ago, inkballedtarget said:

Do you jump ship and try another optic, or do you double down on the DPP and just put them in a rotation? 

Depends on if you married to a particular optic.  IOW, did you have your slide milled for a DPP? Or is it a plate system like CZC's RDS ?   In my case, I had 2 DPPs that I rotated on my CZ S2 with CZC RDS plate cut.  I finally got fed up with the DPP when it failed halfway thru first day of a 2 day course with Brandon Walker.  I have since been running an SRO.

With slide mounted optics, it isnt a matter of if, but when one fails.   

1 minute ago, GregJ said:

Depends on if you married to a particular optic.  IOW, did you have your slide milled for a DPP? Or is it a plate system like CZC's RDS ?   In my case, I had 2 DPPs that I rotated on my CZ S2 with CZC RDS plate cut.  I finally got fed up with the DPP when it failed halfway thru first day of a 2 day course with Brandon Walker.  I have since been running an SRO.

With slide mounted optics, it isnt a matter of if, but when one fails.   

Yea, so that is a slight problem as my slides are milled for the DPP, which seemed like a great idea at the time. I wasnt sure if I could have a plate made that used the DPP footprint with an SRO hole pattern? Where does the Holosun 507/508 stack up against the DPP,Romeo, and SRO?

Leupold took care of everything for me. After calling them on Monday and escalating it up nicely, they were extremely apologetic to the issue with the Deltapoint with the broken accelerometer, #AD serial, that wasn't repaired and they sent me a brand new one in its place with an #AF serial code. Received it on Thursday. 

They also understood the frustration I had with the entire downtime and missing a number of matches and were able to sell me a 3rd Deltapoint at an extreme discount so I have a backup for my backup.  They expedited shipping on it as well so I just received it today.

I think the rule I've learned with Carry Optics is: 2 is none, 3 is one. 

Hopefully these new ones last a very long time. If you are in a hurry and don't want to miss any matches, I definitely recommend giving them a call and tracking the status if it takes more than a week. They're willing to help us out. 

7 hours ago, inkballedtarget said:

Are all slide mounted optics going to have these issues, or is the DPP unique in how many failures its having? I guess my question is where do you go from here? Do you jump ship and try another optic, or do you double down on the DPP and just put them in a rotation? 

I'm in the same boat with both my S2's milled for DPPs. I think the key thing to remember there are A LOT of DPPs out there and have been the primary go to optic for CO for awhile. So we tend to see the issues more often due to the larger install base.  SROs and Romeo3Max are all brand new this year, so we'll have to wait to see how they hold up after they reach the install base comparable to DPPs.  I think there is a thread already going on issues with SRO electronics and few have the Romeo3Maxs. 

Who knows, Leupold could be coming out with a DPP2 one day with all the lessons learned from DPPs - which I'm sure will happen the moment after I get new slides milled for an SRO/Romeo3Max  ;) 

Part of this game is the gear chase. Might not be cheap, but we're always excited when we get a new toy to play with.  Good luck!  I think we're both going to need it. ;)

Edited by Roons

7 hours ago, cjmill87 said:

I don't know of anyone who makes a plate that converts from one footprint to another.  I'm running an SRO right now and really like it, previously I was using only DPPs.

I dont either, I was thinking it would need to be made. May be throwing good money after bad....

7 hours ago, Roons said:

Leupold took care of everything for me. After calling them on Monday and escalating it up nicely, they were extremely apologetic to the issue with the Deltapoint with the broken accelerometer, #AD serial, that wasn't repaired and they sent me a brand new one in its place with an #AF serial code. Received it on Thursday. 

They also understood the frustration I had with the entire downtime and missing a number of matches and were able to sell me a 3rd Deltapoint at an extreme discount so I have a backup for my backup.  They expedited shipping on it as well so I just received it today.

I think the rule I've learned with Carry Optics is: 2 is none, 3 is one. 

Hopefully these new ones last a very long time. If you are in a hurry and don't want to miss any matches, I definitely recommend giving them a call and tracking the status if it takes more than a week. They're willing to help us out. 

Glad they got you all squared away! I spoke with them today and they got me all set up to send in my optic. As everybody has said, the customer service is top notch. It is just a little odd that there isnt a long term solution. 

I currently have two CO guns, I guess the plan is to have 2 backup optics on standby. That just sounds crazy.

8 hours ago, Roons said:

I'm in the same boat with both my S2's milled for DPPs. I think the key thing to remember there are A LOT of DPPs out there and have been the primary go to optic for CO for awhile. So we tend to see the issues more often due to the larger install base.  SROs and Romeo3Max are all brand new this year, so we'll have to wait to see how they hold up after they reach the install base comparable to DPPs.  I think there is a thread already going on issues with SRO electronics and few have the Romeo3Maxs. 

Who knows, Leupold could be coming out with a DPP2 one day with all the lessons learned from DPPs - which I'm sure will happen the moment after I get new slides milled for an SRO/Romeo3Max  ;) 

Part of this game is the gear chase. Might not be cheap, but we're always excited when we get a new toy to play with.  Good luck!  I think we're both going to need it. ;)

Youre not wrong, there are a bunch of them out there! It doesnt sound like any of them are perfect. 

I have been wondering the same thing, it seems like the DPP2 would be coming sooner rather than later. If thats the case, can you go go ahead and get some new slides and have them milled? 

Truth be told I am really happy with the DPP, the size and profile works well. The only downside is the whole turning off intermittently, which is a drag. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, inkballedtarget said:

Has anyone here been able to purchase a DPP from Leupold? When I asked the tech about it, he said I would need to purchase from a distributor. 

IF you were able to buy from Leupold directly, it would be at MSRP ($520). Which is more than the 'street price' of $399. 

Has anyone here been able to purchase a DPP from Leupold? When I asked the tech about it, he said I would need to purchase from a distributor. 
Are you military/police/veteran?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, beta1759 said:

IF you were able to buy from Leupold directly, it would be at MSRP ($520). Which is more than the 'street price' of $399. 

That does not sound like a great option.

21 hours ago, af_tt said:

Are you military/police/veteran?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No sir.  Those men and women should get all of the discounts. 

• 1 month later...

Just got mine back from Leupold for the same battery contact issue.  

18 business days later I think they just stuck it back on with the same type of tape.

Whatever, it’s going to be a back up now.  Just waiting for my new slide to come back from Primary Machine milled for the SRO. 

• 2 months later...

Replying to this since it’s still relevant early 2020. My “AE” DPP began mysteriously shutting off during live fire. Sure enough the battery contact slid to the rear of the circuit board similar to the ones pictured on this thread. I just got an email back from Leupold stating that it will take 7 WEEKS for repairs. With a wait that long, I hope they truly have a fix for it. I will update once I get it back. 
Edited to add:

The DPP was mounted on a Glock 19 MOS. 

F26A9529-031B-4F8E-B312-2C212C510116.jpeg

Edited by 021411

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, S391 said:

Any update on this mod?

It lasted 10k rounds. A week ago started to lose brightness and occasionally turn itself off, sometimes coming back on after some shaking. Fresh battery, all visible contact surfaces are clean, the central contact did not slip. Sent back to Leupold.