Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2

jonb.

Just received my Shadow 2 and wanted to get input on the recoil pad. I have read a few people posting that they removed theirs while at the same time changing out the usual suspects (springs, short reset, etc). What are the benefits if any to leaving the pads in and what are the benefits to removing them?

Thanks in advance!

The pad is supposed to minimize battering of the frame by the slide when using a light recoil spring.  I personally don't use them and haven't noticed any frame battering.  Dave at Cajun Gun Works recommends against using them, too, since they eventually break and go flying around inside your gun.  Have you tried shooting the gun with one in it?  I would imagine the recoil would feel strange.

So I unfortunately live in a 10 day wait state but I got to handle it today and take it apart. I haven’t shot a Shadow 2 with a buffer pad but I have in a 2011 I ended up taking it out. 

The shadow 2 is significantly heavier but the slide seems similar to my Target shadow. So I wonder why they made them part of the design with such a beefier frame. 

I’m normally not a fan of recoil buffers pads.  I tried one once in a 2011 and it came apart on me in less than 500 rnds and it also made it harder to release the slide. I’ve shied away from them ever since.  

However, when I got my Shadow 2 I decided to give it a try.  I’ve shot matches with it in and without, did Bill Drills and compared HFs, slow fire accuracy tests... and the thing still looks like it is brand new after 4K-ish rounds from shooting matches pretty steady all winter/spring.  It doesn’t impair any of the gun’s function that I can tell, recoil feels about the same, splits and hits at speed are the same... 

So for the first time I’ve decided to leave it in until something happens that indicates I should take it out.  

4 minutes ago, 2MoreChains said:

However, when I got my Shadow 2 I decided to give it a try.

I’ve decided to leave it in until something happens that indicates I should take it out.  

Mine has lasted 7-8000 rounds and looks fine. I don't see any reason to remove it. The 75s I own don't have them, nor do I feel compelled to add them.

I really don't think it makes any difference at all with minor PF loads.  From the sound of things they don't break very quickly and if you don't use them the frame will be fine.  Maybe they are trying to protect the slide stop?  But that doesn't make any sense since the barrel lug contacts the slide stop before the slide contacts the frame.  I would just try it with and without to see if you notice a difference in the recoil impulse.

I got a s2 a little over a year ago ,shot somewhere around 10k minor rounds Thur it with the same buffer and finally swapped it out with a new one. Gonna just keep using them since it came with some extras.

I got a s2 a little over a year ago ,shot somewhere around 10k minor rounds Thur it with the same buffer and finally swapped it out with a new one. Gonna just keep using them since it came with some extras.

Same here at about 8k rounds on the original and minimal wear. I also use the blue Wilson in my 2011. They recommend changing after 1500 rounds. I normally swap around 5k and I’m sure it could go much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot about 5k with the thick buffer and 10lbs recoil and 9lbs hammer spring. Buffer still going strong. I have made tests with buffer and without. On the S2 i prefer the buffer. The SP-01 Shadow i prefer without any buffer. Note that the slide travel is longer (stroked) on the S2 so CZ actual made room for the thick buffer from the factory. Don't just take anyones word for it.. go out and test which one you prefer compare with focus on the vision, the timer and hits on the target! On the old shadow i run a 9lbs recoil and a 13lbs hammer spring. There is a weight difference between the slides and stroke depending on setup and all this effects the behaviour. But the biggest difference will be your grip and recoil control and load.

Thanks all for the responses. My fear of the buffer pad breaking are gone. So I will just try with and without while I dial in the springs and my load. 

please pm me to arrange for shipping of your unused shockbuffs from CZ Shadow and Shadow 2 guns, I will happily pay postage to receive them. 

On a serious note, I trust the engineers at CZUB to actually know what they are doing for the most part (lets leave the cracked 2s out of this for now). Mine last and last and last. I know another serious competitor that has had his last more than 10,000 rounds with no issues. Recoil does not feel weird, or wrong or anything like that. For a $1 part they are a cheap replacement for when they finally do need to be replaced. I've never had one jam up my gun, even after cutting through it with the spring box on the slide. 

17 hours ago, slavex said:

On a serious note, I trust the engineers at CZUB to actually know what they are doing for the most part (lets leave the cracked 2s out of this for now). 

This was my first thought and made me start the thread since I have read on multiple posts of taking them out but not really getting into the why.

1 hour ago, jonb. said:

This was my first thought and made me start the thread since I have read on multiple posts of taking them out but not really getting into the why.

I would suppose many people remove them because they think they “might fail” and render their pistol inoperable during a match. No one can predict when and if they fail, so removing the buffer just eliminates a possible failure mode.

I've been using them since they first came out in the Canadian Shadowmates, whenever that was, I've yet to see one come apart and affect the function of the gun. If they are getting cut up, remove and replace if you like. I've not seen a single one go to pieces or anything and contaminate the gun. 

Just to add more data. Mine lasted about 30'000 rounds. No, wait. I decided to change it, it was still working.

Minor load (130-135 PF), 10Lb spring

Edited by xdf3

On 7/3/2019 at 4:51 AM, slavex said:

please pm me to arrange for shipping of your unused shockbuffs from CZ Shadow and Shadow 2 guns, I will happily pay postage to receive them. 

On a serious note, I trust the engineers at CZUB to actually know what they are doing for the most part (lets leave the cracked 2s out of this for now). Mine last and last and last. I know another serious competitor that has had his last more than 10,000 rounds with no issues. Recoil does not feel weird, or wrong or anything like that. For a $1 part they are a cheap replacement for when they finally do need to be replaced. I've never had one jam up my gun, even after cutting through it with the spring box on the slide. 

$1 part   holds  more than  $1k  comp.   gun. 😉

Edited by yigal

4 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Yigal,

Do you (or anyone else) run a buffer on your Czechmate?

friends with CM don't have buffers but they shoot only minor with factory ammo.

personally  i  use buffers in all guns that i used. in my  both TSO  9mm i use buffers. in my bul sas2 2011 9mm limited i use buffer too.

i replace them if i find any sign of wear. TSO 3-5K  and in my 2011 i still didn't change the buffer because it still looks like new.(i make few changes

in this gun to prevent buffer to wear quickly )

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Shadow 2s with 11 lb recoil springs which have always been run with the original (clear) thick buffers. I shoot 124 gr Blazer Brass. On both guns I change the buffers when I begin to notice deterioration - deformation or cracking. For me this typically occurs just after 4000 rounds on the buffer. I’m confident I could get more use out of them, but they’re pretty inexpensive, so why risk a failure? I think a new black version is now being sold, so service life may be different.