Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me if I'm crazy

BARRYJ

I shoot USPSA Limited Major.  I also shoot some outlaw steel and weekly matches at a local range that doesn't recognize power factor.  I use my Edge in 40 cal to shoot it all.  I'm trying to work up a minor load for my 40, but I'm considering picking up an Edge in 9mm to use for the non-power factor matches.  With it, I wouldn't have to change my grip on the gun, it would be like shooting the same gun, only less recoil.  The 9mm could also be my backup gun when traveling to matches.  Does this sound like a good idea?

If you go to a match shooting limited major and have to go to your backup shooting minor, will they rescore your previous stages as minor?  I shoot SS but recently picked up a 40 cal limited gun. I don't have a backup gun other than shooting my SS 45cal or a 9mm if they'd rescore.

I'd much rather shoot 40sw minor.  It is softer than 9mm, not as loud, and the mags work better.  My minor load is 3.6gr e3 under a Rainier 155gr bullet.  Substitute a 180gr bullet and you make major.  However, I go to 3.7gr e3 to get to 172PF.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

I'd much rather shoot 40sw minor.  It is softer than 9mm, not as loud, and the mags work better.  My minor load is 3.6gr e3 under a Rainier 155gr bullet.  Substitute a 180gr bullet and you make major.  However, I go to 3.7gr e3 to get to 172PF.

So 40 minor shoots softer than 9mm?  Maybe I should work up a minor load for 40 and shoot that at everything.

22 minutes ago, MHicks said:

If you go to a match shooting limited major and have to go to your backup shooting minor, will they rescore your previous stages as minor?  I shoot SS but recently picked up a 40 cal limited gun. I don't have a backup gun other than shooting my SS 45cal or a 9mm if they'd rescore.

Yes, if you shoot a few stages as major and have to switch to minor then all the stages will be scored minor.

3 minutes ago, BARRYJ said:

So 40 minor shoots softer than 9mm?  Maybe I should work up a minor load for 40 and shoot that at everything.

That's what I did for years.  I even shot 40 Open for 3 years.  I'll also shoot it some this year because I still have about 2000 or so 40 major loaded up.  

BTW, 135 and 140gr bullets work fine for 40 minor.

40 minutes ago, zzt said:

BTW, 135 and 140gr bullets work fine for 40 minor.

I shot 40 minor in an STI Eagle for IDPA and really liked it. Was shooting 180 grain coated bullets with Clay Dot at about 145 power factor. Accurate & soft & better than the 9mm for knocking down stubborn poppers. 

I'd suggest not working up anything. Bet you are using 180's for major... DO nothing else but change to a 155 of same profile.. Same powder, same die settings, same charge. you'll get a 140'ish load that will be a bit softer, but have same POI and still cycle with same springs.

1 hour ago, BJB said:

Yes, if you shoot a few stages as major and have to switch to minor then all the stages will be scored minor.

I just wasn't sure if USPSA rules allow you to stay in limited and be scored minor or move you to open. I want so start shooting some limited but only have the one doublestack 40. If it went down, depending on what broke, I could either put my 9mm upper on it or shoot another 9mm.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

I'd suggest not working up anything. Bet you are using 180's for major... DO nothing else but change to a 155 of same profile.. Same powder, same die settings, same charge. you'll get a 140'ish load that will be a bit softer, but have same POI and still cycle with same springs.

This.

A powderpuff 180gr  load will likely mean a softer recoil spring. A 155gr bullet on the current powder charge means more slide velocity than a reduced-charge 180gr load.

A lot of 9mm guys do this. 147gr 135pf load for USPSA, then drop a 100 or 115gr bullet onto it for steel challenge.

But in any case give 40 minor a try. It is much softer than 9mm at the same PF because the bullet is heavier.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

either work up a minor load or buy a few boxes of atlanta arms minor .40.  that does feel softer in my edge vs 9mm in my eagle, granted that the two guns are slightly different.

now if you get a 9mm, you will have a little better mag capacity than with .40.

and to confirm above, yes, if you shoot minor in limited at any stage (or chrono) then you are scored as minor for the whole match.  no bump to open in this scenario.

4 hours ago, Novagunner said:

I love shooting 40 minor with 180s and 200s. Feels like cheating.

And if you don’t like the shot placement, you can just reach out and grab that bullet in the first 30 seconds or so of it’s flight, and nudge it back onto course.  😂

When I was still shooting Limited, my minor load was CCI 500, 2.8gr e3, and 180gr coated for 773fps, SD 6.75.  It was a powder puff.  It shot to the same POI as the major load, and used the same recoil spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Something to think about using a 9mm as a back up to a .40.  You will either have to carry ammo for both calibers or buy locally (hopefully).  If driving, not a huge deal.  Flying is another matter.  

As far as wanting the 9mm for the non PF matches, what are you using them for?  I used to shoot Speed Steel with my .40 major gun.  I didn't really care about the Steel match, I was just using it for practice for USPSA Limited.  If that's your goal, stick to major.  If you are doing it to enjoy the matches, then .40 minor or 9mm are good picks.  

I would spend the money on more major ammo and some match fees. I’ve done the Minor 40 thing for 3 gun, production, idpa, etc, and I always find it to be a hassle. I’m always out of the PF ammo I need, and the press is always adjusted for the ammo I have. 

The 9mm idea isn’t bad, but as others have said, you just doubled the equipment you have to haul to a match if you plan on using it for a backup gun.