Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How would you describe a STI Trubor barrel vs KKM

Fo0

My KKM (9 major) barrel is 2 PF faster than my SVI barrel.  Both have no difficulty feeding anything I use (124 PD, MG, coated) and don't require any "special" ammo or cases.  The KKM chamber isn't any tighter than the SVI. 

Hello: The TruBor barrels are very good barrels and last a long time. KKM barrels in the past were hit and miss on how long they lasted. I am not sure how they are in the last 2-3 years but I will find out on my next build since I can't seem to get the barrels I normally use. The KKM barrels in my Glocks are very accurate even with coated bullets. Thanks, Eric

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Does that mean the chamber is tighter, and you have more difficulty getting

coated or lead bullets to feed properly ?

They're all open guns, so I wouldn’t use lead/painted/plated bullets. 

But theoreticaly yes, the chamber should be tighter 

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Does that mean the chamber is tighter, and you have more difficulty getting

coated or lead bullets to feed properly ?

The chamber on a KKM has to be finish cut by you or your gunsmith, so that is going to vary barrel to barrel.

My KKM hybrid barrel at 4.65" (commander plus threads) VS my SV Hybrid barrel at 5.4" (gov length plus threads) are the same velocity with the same load. Paster size group at 20 yards. Can't go wrong with KKM, in my opinion. Only thing I know of that ruins barrels or chambers relatively quickly is AA7 (what I use) and the old school moly coated bullets (not Hi-Tek like BBI or SNS)

On 5/8/2019 at 4:39 PM, Eros said:

@SSGJohnV You mentioned that AA7 ruins barrels and chambers relatively quickly but you still use it. On average what is the life span of your barrel? 

It is "alleged" that it ruins barrels quickly. I put 30k rounds through my old SV barreled gun with no change in anything. However, a friend of mine had chamber erosion after about 60k. He had to bump his charge about 0.3 grains by the time the chamber was eroded.

I continue to use it because it is an extremely slow burning powder (meaning safer), easy to meter, consistent in velocity lot to lot, and at 10 grains per round gives my comp the most gas/is the softest powder. If I had to I would use HS6 as a replacement.