Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many grains?

I won an AR9 PCC with a 16” Barrel, I need  to know how many grains of N320 to make a 130PF, FYI this is just a starting point. I don’t have a Chrono, but I have limited access to one, so I planned on loading about 10rds with about 4-5 different loads. But like stated I need a starting point. 

Additional info:

Planning to load these to 1.100 OAL, 

also I’m planning on trying 115’s & 124’s

Then you make a DIY controller switch that lets you toggle through the shots on your shooting chrony to get High, Low, Avg, SD, ES, and shot count. I am going to make an on/off switch at my remote so I don't have to get up and turn the unit off/on for each new string. Really brings the value of the $80 shooting chrony up with built in math.

To think I have been doing it with a calculator and scratch paper all these years. On lazy days I just avg each shot in my head by going half way between the previous and next shot.

Edited by Joedirt199

As a side note, PCC performs better running ammo closer to 141.
When I say perform I'm wrapping up cycle rate and accuracy.  

I'll also say that in my testing - FMJ produced far better groups than plated and/or coated.

Plated and coated targets had more of a pattern while FMJ/JHP definitely had groups - with shots touching - @ 25 yards.

5 hours ago, Khaot1c said:

As a side note, PCC performs better running ammo closer to 141.
When I say perform I'm wrapping up cycle rate and accuracy.  

I'll also say that in my testing - FMJ produced far better groups than plated and/or coated.

Plated and coated targets had more of a pattern while FMJ/JHP definitely had groups - with shots touching - @ 25 yards.

The barrel on this PCC may need to be reemed then, I tried it out last weekend with my CO load (3.0g TG, 147 BBi, 1.140 OAL), the bullet was actually being shoved further into the case, I found this out when I would extract a round from the chamber. Also It wouldn’t run unless the there was 27rnds in a 33rnd mag, would have occasional feed jams because of the length. A buddy of mine gave me some his Production ammo that was loaded at 1.100oal and it ran flawless. I have 115 & 124’s from Precision Delta to develop a load for this rifle. Also The coated 147 BBi’s grouped pretty good at 25yrds shooting free hand (3”), but I still plan to switch to PD. 

On 5/3/2019 at 10:55 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

You can probably find the answer you're looking for

in the "Search" button - look under 9mm Reloading.   :) 

p.s.  Chrony's are only $79.

I tried searching and could not find a base line for N320, there were other powder options out there but I am switching everything I load to N320 since I’m already using it for .40 and TG is just too dirty in my CO load.  And for those suggesting I buy I chrono, thanks for the info I already know. I have not bought one because my club has one that we keep at our range, but it’s 45min from me and I work very other Saturday  and have 3 small kids, so I can only make it out there once a month. If anyone has any good info on the topic I would greatly appreciate it, if not please keep it to yourself. Thanks in advance. 

With a 14-1/2" JP barrel, I load 147 gr Extreme RN plated bullets over 3.3 gr N-320.  AOL = 1.110".

Same gun but with Eggleston 98 gr RN coated bullets I load 4.4 gr N-320.  AOL = 1.055"

Both loads are 100% reliable with the Eggleston load the more accurate of the two.

Both chrono at 138 PF.   Drop a few tenths of powder and you should be near your 130 PF goal.

I have a case of 124 gr RN bullets on the shelf but have not worked up a load.  I'll probably start around 3.6 gr N-320.

48 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

With a 14-1/2" JP barrel, I load 147 gr Extreme RN plated bullets over 3.3 gr N-320.  AOL = 1.110".

Same gun but with Eggleston 98 gr RN coated bullets I load 4.4 gr N-320.  AOL = 1.055"

Both loads are 100% reliable with the Eggleston load the more accurate of the two.

Both chrono at 138 PF.   Drop a few tenths of powder and you should be near your 130 PF goal.

I have a case of 124 gr RN bullets on the shelf but have not worked up a load.  I'll probably start around 3.6 gr N-320.

thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated!

Jp GMR 15 14.5”bbl

3.8grs is at 128pf

4.1 at 140pf

3.8 is soft Shooting but are getting some flyers at 25 yards, 4.1 is still soft/ flat and shoots great at 25.

2 hours ago, ffgats said:

Jp GMR 15 14.5”bbl

3.8grs is at 128pf

4.1 at 140pf

3.8 is soft Shooting but are getting some flyers at 25 yards, 4.1 is still soft/ flat and shoots great at 25.

Thank you for that info sir, I loaded 80rnds today and I’m gonna Chrono them this weekend. Also what OAL are you loading your bullets to?

Heres what I came up with

1-20 @ 3.8g 1.100, 124g PD

2- 20 @ 4.0g 1.100, 124g PD

3- 20 @ 4.2g 1.100, 124g PD

4- 20 @ 4.0g 1.120, 147g extreme 

The last load was kind of a “what the hell, try it” idea just to see how the gun likes a heavier grain bullet. 

Shoot for around 140 pf and try a quality FMJ in the 115-124gr neighborhood loaded around 1.100”

That runs well in nearly every PCC out there. Begin with known good ammo, then introduce different bullet weights or try coated ones from there. 

Begin with something accurate and reliable.

20 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Shoot for around 140 pf and try a quality FMJ in the 115-124gr neighborhood loaded around 1.100”

That runs well in nearly every PCC out there. Begin with known good ammo, then introduce different bullet weights or try coated ones from there. 

Begin with something accurate and reliable.

The loads I worked up this weekend were all 124G Precision Delta FMJ, except for 1 load and I used plated 147G extreme's. I also bought 100 115G Precision Delta bullets as well, I will try those out after I figure out a load with the 124's.Thanks for the great info fellas, its greatly appreciated.

ffgats, thanks for the OAL!