Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken firing pins

Yes I think there is a correlation with hiperfire triggers and firing pins breaking, but firing pins aren’t all equal. I think the firing pin spring and shape of firing pin make a difference. I have two iron city rifle works bcg with over 10k rounds on each without a firing pin breaking. I’ve dry fired countless rounds with and without snap caps.  The tapered design pins seem to work better than the shelf design firing pins.  I use ar gold trigger and cci primers. 

What do you think,
Hyperfires cause most of the broken pins because of their hard hitting feature.
Or is it a problem that is characteristic of all 9mm AR rifles?

FROM HIPERFIRE

Unfortunately we have never seen this issue as a result of our triggers. PCC platforms are very rough on parts already and we have seen this issue in platforms that are slightly out of spec, but our triggers do not add enough additional force to do this on their own.

We wish we had a better, more direct answer for you, but at the moment the only thing we could try is to send you a new trigger in replacement for this one and see if that somehow helps. Please send us an email to support@hiperfire.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting,

Like Bwillis, I run an American 308 Gold trigger with CCI and sometimes Federal primers.

I have never broken a firing pin in three seasons of heavy PCC shooting.

Hyperfire's are a great trigger in a .223. No consistent problems there un less your lower

trigger pin holes are out of spec.

6 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I've got a Colt 6951 pcc with 25 to 30 K rounds through it and still the original firing pin. Had  Timney trigger for probably 20K of those rounds.

Agree on the Timney,

Used one for  awhile. No problems at all.

Went with a Gold for the lighter pull weight.

2 hours ago, Bwillis said:

Iron city just put out a lifetime guarantee on their fp 

Time will tell if that means they will not break or life time warranty that they will replace broken ones.

Hope it means they don't break.

Thanks for posting.

Here is my ICRW firing pin from my guard with a over 5k on it. Still going strong, except for the coating. Most of the round count was with a 24C before I pulled it out. 

20181117_163337_resized.jpg

20181117_163400_resized.jpg

Edited by bwikel
2 hours ago, Bwillis said:

@dmshozer1 We can probably both agree firing pins are a consumable wear item. Iron city is willing to give free replacements if it does break or give out. Can you name another company that will replace a consumable item for life? 

Nope,

I hope they have cured the problem.

What I really don't get is that Titanium is actually soft compared to steel.

Maybe that's the secret

4 hours ago, Bwillis said:

@dmshozer1 We can probably both agree firing pins are a consumable wear item. Iron city is willing to give free replacements if it does break or give out. Can you name another company that will replace a consumable item for life? 

Both the steel and titanium AR9 firing pins from PSA have unconditional lifetime warranties.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-ar-9-enhanced-firing-pin-116003.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-9mm-ar9-pcc-titanium-firing-pin-116004.html

I like to think that because the selling price is so cheap, they are unlikely to be looking to make money purely on just a replacement service. There's likely way less margin on these than a single RMA claim would cover...

This all being said, I'm about to switch to a hiperfire and a spare firing pin is absolutely in my range bag... I don't have any spare firing pin springs though..... haven't found a place to buy them...

7 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I've run a Wilson Combat 'Bullet Proof' AR9 pin with Hiperfire triggers over about 2500 rounds now with no identifiable wear/mushrooming.  So far so good.

A buddy broke one, I don’t know how many rounds he had on it but I’d guess around 2k

11 hours ago, rishii said:

A buddy broke one, I don’t know how many rounds he had on it but I’d guess around 2k

I have spares yeah, I figured that even if far down the line, it's just a matter of time.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:11 PM, MoRivera said:

I've run a Wilson Combat 'Bullet Proof' AR9 pin with Hiperfire triggers over about 2500 rounds now with no identifiable wear/mushrooming.  So far so good.

I just broke the end off of my Wilson "Bullet Proof" firing pin. Less than 3,000 through with this pin. Broke enough off so it still fired, but was piercing the primer and leaving small pieces of primer cup in BCG like confetti. Ordered a Iron City today.

Edited by Ken Shoot Fast