Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken firing pins

On 5/1/2019 at 6:20 PM, rishii said:

A buddy broke one, I don’t know how many rounds he had on it but I’d guess around 2k

That's me.  Wilson Bulletproof firing pin broke in half after about 3000 rounds, all with a CMC 9mm trigger.  In total I've broken the Wilson and two CMMG pins in Faxon and CMMG bolts.  Going to order the Iron City Rifle Works pin and hopefully thats the end of it.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Broke a firing pin in a Diamondback 9mm carbine about a month ago.  Hyperfire trigger.  I have about three or four thousand rounds on that one.  They sent me two new ones but I have never broken a firing pin in any other carbine or rifle I have owned.  I personally think it is the design of their firing pin but no way I can test it.

Interestingly, it would shoot a number of shots then have a failure to shoot.  I ejected the round and kept shooting for another ten or so rounds before it did it again.  I was doing a Steel Challenge so kept shooting it despite losing a huge amount of time.  Took it home, removed the firing pin retaining pin and out dropped both halves of the firing pin.  It broke at the step in the firing pin.  Not sure it is the best design in the world but am also not sure it isn't the trigger.

Will keep the best round count I can for the next iteration of this which I am pretty sure will happen again.

GG66