Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

short mags for reloads

On stages requiring reloads do you use standard length mags OR shorter ones?

I use Colt type mags, 20s 32s and the longer ones with TF extensions.

Is there are logic for speed and smoother reloads using the 20s over the 32s with mandated reloads.

TIA

When I had a decent magwell I used short mags. I bought a bmiller magwell aka funnel, I can now throw 33 rounders in faster than short mags. I do downstack all mags 2-3 rounds. 

Edited by Bwillis

Downloaded big sticks are the most best ;)

Too long and they get awkward. Too short and your grip space/clearance from magwell is too small. Also the less tension the better as far as seating goes, especially with Colt mags. 

6 hours ago, p7fl said:

On stages requiring reloads do you use standard length mags OR shorter ones?

I use Colt type mags, 20s 32s and the longer ones with TF extensions.

Is there are logic for speed and smoother reloads using the 20s over the 32s with mandated reloads.

TIA

I run colt mags and use 20 rd mags for reloads. I can reload the 20 rd mags like a pistol mag and get a good push on the bottom to assure seating. My 20 rd colt mags will actually hold 21 rounds but I download them to 18 so they leave the top of the mag catch window open for a positive lock when seated. 

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Long mag, beercan grip, keep the gun shouldered and barely rotate the magwell from firing position.

Ditto

i run a colt mag gun

i started doing reloads with the 20 rounders, thinking it’s about the same as a 140 so my reloads should be the same as a pistol, well I was wrong

the 20  rounder is too short to get a good grip on and if you hold it the same way as a pistol mag, it’s hard to get a hard enough wack on the bottom to seat it reliably 

with the 30’s and the beer can grip it’s not a problem, also when you load your mags, make sure with the bullets facing you,the top round is on the right hand side. That way the bullets in the mag will stack so they clear the mag catch window, which allows a more positive reload 

2 hours ago, bwikel said:

I run colt mags and ...I download them to 18 so they leave the top of the mag catch window open for a positive lock when seated. 

If that works every time for you, good.  I discovered that loading an odd number of rounds positions the rounds better at the mag catch for easier loading.

It depends on the mag you are running. The point is don't cover the top of the mag catch window, which as said earlier means when the bullets are pointed towards you the top round should be on the right. 

I’ve found that if I’m shooting a stage that requires a reload I’ll always start with the shorter mag in the gun and use the big stick to reload, it’s just easier to get a better grip on the longer mags and shove it in the gun.

43 minutes ago, mveto said:

I’ve found that if I’m shooting a stage that requires a reload I’ll always start with the shorter mag in the gun and use the big stick to reload, it’s just easier to get a better grip on the longer mags and shove it in the gun.

This.

Plus I'm less worried about damaging my more expensive equipment. 20 rd'er? LET THE (mag) BODIES HIT THE FLOOR!

You guys don’t know anything.

I cut a colt mag down to an 8 rounder to minimize mass. The mag spring pops it out faster, and it doesn’t damage our expensive gravel flooring in the bays.

That way I have the smallest possible mag for all those six reload six classifiers, but it still has two extra rounds just in case I have a dud round to rack out. You do have to seat it by pushing it up into the magwell with the handle of a teaspoon at Make Ready, but I carry one on my belt for this purpose.

The reload is three colt mags welded together that sit in front of me below my gun, propped on a tripod.

Eject mag, drop to a knee and drive the magwell onto the 82 rounder, and finish.

I’m hundoing everything I shoot - I’ve actually made GM for myself and 3 locals who have paid me to shoot their classifiers for them.

I should really sell these.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You guys don’t know anything.

I cut a colt mag down to an 8 rounder to minimize mass. The mag spring pops it out faster, and it doesn’t damage our expensive gravel flooring in the bays.

That way I have the smallest possible mag for all those six reload six classifiers, but it still has two extra rounds just in case I have a dud round to rack out. You do have to seat it by pushing it up into the magwell with the handle of a teaspoon at Make Ready, but I carry one on my belt for this purpose.

The reload is three colt mags welded together that sit in front of me below my gun, propped on a tripod.

Eject mag, drop to a knee and drive the magwell onto the 82 rounder, and finish.

I’m hundoing everything I shoot - I’ve actually made GM for myself and 3 locals who have paid me to shoot their classifiers for them.

I should really sell these.

How much do you charge to get someone out of D class?... asking for a friend 

Edited by Bwillis

$38.95 per classifier. Plush shipping and handling.

👍😁👍

(We’ll pretend I don’t have two 20-30% classifiers on record in PCC. I only shot four before switching back to handgun, and two were back when colt mags would not lock into the gun without a sledgehammer.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I guess since I don't drink beer anymore my grip is so wimpy I don't usually seat a mag holding it that way. My hand will often slide up the mag.

I use the 20 rd mag and (try to) grab it like a pistol mag at the end with my finger pointed down the mag. I can then use the palm of my hand to push/slam it up hard to seat. Downloaded of course.

29 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I guess since I don't drink beer anymore my grip is so wimpy I don't usually seat a mag holding it that way. My hand will often slide up the mag.

I use the 20 rd mag and (try to) grab it like a pistol mag at the end with my finger pointed down the mag. I can then use the palm of my hand to push/slam it up hard to seat. Downloaded of course.

I grip the 33rounder same as you grip the 20 I’ve found the palm push on bottom helps seating the mag..... I drink beer just not out of cans. 

Edited by Bwillis
47 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

$38.95 per classifier. Plush shipping and handling.

👍😁👍

(We’ll pretend I don’t have two 20-30% classifiers on record in PCC. I only shot four before switching back to handgun, and two were back when colt mags would not lock into the gun without a sledgehammer.)

Checks in the mail for 6