Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People Who Loot And Those Who Condone It.

CQB Dave

I am the only one left in America who is disgusted by the blatant stealing going on in New Orleans? I mean it's one thing to go out foraging for much need food and water. But to be looting stores of tv's, dvd players, appliances, jewelery? How are you going to eat that crap? I regularly surf several internet gun sites. Seems like most of the posters think it's ok for people to help themselves to non-life sustaining items after the hurricane. WTF? Did your parent(s) teach its ok to take things that aren't yours?

Has society gotten to the point that because it's not your stuff the looters are taking that its ok? :huh:

Even a cop joins in the looting

Mike Perlstein and Brian Thevenot

Staff writers

Law enforcement efforts to contain the emergency left by Katrina slipped into chaos in parts of New Orleans Tuesday with some police officers and firefighters joining looters in picking stores clean.

At the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, an initial effort to hand out provisions to stranded citizens quickly disintegrated into mass looting. Authorities at the scene said bedlam erupted after the giveaway was announced over the radio.

While many people carried out food and essential supplies, others cleared out jewelry racks and carted out computers, TVs and appliances on handtrucks.

Some officers joined in taking whatever they could, including one New Orleans cop who loaded a shopping cart with a compact computer and a 27-inch flat screen television.

Officers claimed there was nothing they could do to contain the anarchy, saying their radio communications have broken down and they had no direction from commanders.

“We don’t have enough cops to stop it,” an officer said. “A mass riot would break out if you tried.”

Inside the store, the scene alternated between celebration and frightening bedlam. A shirtless man straddled a broken jewelry case, yelling, “Free samples, free samples over here.”

Another man rolled a mechanized pallet, stacked six feet high with cases of vodka and whiskey. Perched atop the stack was a bewildered toddler.

Throughout the store and parking lot, looters pushed carts and loaded trucks and vans alongside officers. One man said police directed him to Wal-Mart from Robert’s Grocery, where a similar scene was taking place. A crowd in the electronics section said one officer broke the glass DVD case so people wouldn’t cut themselves.

“The police got all the best stuff. They’re crookeder than us,” one man said.

Most officers, though, simply stood by powerless against the tide of law breakers.

One veteran officer said, “It’s like this everywhere in the city. This tiny number of cops can’t do anything about this. It’s wide open.”

At least one officer tried futilely to control a looter through shame.

“When they say take what you need, that doesn’t mean an f-ing TV,” the officer shouted to a looter. “This is a hurricane, not a free-for-all.”

Sandra Smith of Baton Rouge walked through the parking lot with a 12-pack of Bud Light under each arm. “I came down here to get my daughters,” she said, “but I can’t find them.”

The scene turned so chaotic at times that entrances were blocked by the press of people and shopping carts and traffic jams sprouted on surrounding streets.

Some groups organized themselves into assembly lines to more efficiently cart off goods.

Toni Williams, 25, packed her trunk with essential supplies, such as food and water, but said mass looting disgusted and frightened her.

“I didn’t feel safe. Some people are going overboard,” she said.

Inside the store, one woman was stocking up on make-up. She said she took comfort in watching police load up their own carts.

“It must be legal,” she said. “The police are here taking stuff, too.”

(Staff writers Doug MacCash and Keith Spera assisted in this story.)

Police are powerless, sure. If a cop racked his 870 in front of everyone, I think most people would stop.

What's more pathetic, on the radio they were talking about people trying to loot a children's hospital. OMG, how can anyone loot a children's hospital.

Local police can't stop it, even as large a force as N.O. police. Until the LA National Guard and the US Army get thier collective a$$es in gear and get in the streets, in complete riot gear and w/live ammo, anarchy will reign.

Shotgun blasts and .223 reports have an amazing tranquilizing effect on a crowd.

just my opinion, :angry:

dj

Where do they think they're going to take that nice, new flatscreen and DVD player? Do they think they can run over to Snake Plissken's place and pug it up and watch Escape from New York?

"Another man rolled a mechanized pallet, stacked six feet high with cases of vodka and whiskey."

I'm not sure how "reactive" those targets would be...

People are firing on rescue choppers - helios grounded - per TV report just now. No more choppers rescues?? What will happen now?

?!?!?! That just deserves death, shooting at a helicopter that's trying to rescue other people. No sugar coating that.... just put one in their damn heads.... a**holes...

Work in Houma, live in Baton Rouge. Had to pass by NOLA on the way home. Break out your maps to follow the rest of the story.

One of our guys called the State Police and got a briefing on the route home for us. Helps to call at 1:00 in the morning. Basically our normal route is open unless you’re going to Florida. Cool. Left Houma at 0400 and went East on Hwy 90. At the Hwy 90 and LA 1 intersection there was sign stating that no traffic is permitted East of here with a major police roadblock. Getting to the roadblock the officer asked where I was going. "To Baton Rouge. Just getting off work. And I have a concealed carry permit." (Announcing your CCW is required in our state.) "Good! Past here you'll need it. All of us are packing."

OK. The rules have just changed. After a quick check of my DL and CCW he sent me on my way down Hwy 90. Stopped in Boutte which is at the intersection of Hwy 90 and I-310 which had only one store open running a generator. Topped off with gas at $2.49 / gallon and went in for a coffee and a snack for the road. A trooper at the front door and a sheriff inside. Hmmm. Only one person allowed inside at a time. Talked to the clerk and apparently the locals were near riot and looting hence the precautions. Got my stuff and got the hell out of there.

Got on I-310 and I was surprised at the amount of traffic. About every fifth vehicle was law enforcement or military. Cruised on in till I got to the I-310 / I-10 split. At the split you can go right and go to NOLA or go left and go to BTR. However if you tried to go right you would meet some of Louisiana's finest. Two of which had street sweepers at high ready. Hung the left and went on I-10 West.

On I-10 West what I saw going East was the most awe-inspiring thing in my life. Every other vehicle was either law enforcement or military. The steady stream of heavy trucks hauling who knows what into the city. The mile long string of buses, nose to tail, to haul the Superdome residents to Houston parked on the right lane. The air ambulance parked at the weigh station with six buses to haul patients out of the hospitals that are running out of food, water, and electricity. And much more.

When I got home, I grabbed a cigar and beer. Sat on the carport and just stared off for and hour or so. I'm stunned. There is no other word to describe it. I've spent the last week preparing to evac, doing the evac, and getting back to our field base. Once getting back to the field base we've been trying to get the oilfield back running again while our electricity goes on and off, cell service is out, long distance land line is inoperative, only reliable communication is the Internet, 18 hour days, and not knowing just how well our loved ones have faired. We also fear for several of our co-workers. They haven't checked in since the storm. It's a requirement with my workplace. Hurricane = 24/7 on call.

Sorry for the digress. On looters. If you loot for shelter, food and water. It's survival. A basic instinct of any animal including human. I can understand it and to a point accept it and forgive for it. Loot for profit. You're a reactive target. Your choice, you accept the consequences.

Well, they may have killed me but I would have shot them till I ran out of ammo....any and all of the looters. :angry:

thiught the same thing while i watched those two women "cops" loading up on shoes at wal mart...all on camera. would have paid to have been in the sporting goods area at the time...could have put those hi-base 6's to good use.

On looters. If you loot for shelter, food and water. It's survival. A basic instinct of any animal including human. I can understand it and to a point accept it and forgive for it. Loot for profit. You're a reactive target. Your choice, you accept the consequences.

I can - and do - accept this. All parts of it.

Looting a small business will destroy it in most cases.

I learned from watching riots in the past to always have 1000's of rounds and water. Won't be any looting here. ;)

I understand food and water needs but its WAY past that. Yes it can happen anywhere.

Unfortunately, the situation seems to be deteriorating rapidly today. Just had word from a customer in Texas that sold several rifles to some Louisanaians headed back east to check on their homes. I doubt that the idea of returning armed is isolated.

My niece is a pediatric emergency flight nurse. Her company flies kids in need to different locations in their Lear equipped as a flying emergency room. I talked with my sister yesterday and she told me that the niece has been flying constant round trips from Lafayette, LA to Houston or Dallas since after Katrina. The jet lands in Lafayette, the nurses board a CG helicopter and fly to the childrens' hospital in NO.

She says that they have been fired on from the ground, bodies are floating everywhere and the hospitals are only using the top few floors due to limited generator power and the looters have moved into the lower floors. Hospital staff said it is not safe to venture into the hospital as all the drug supplies etc. have been taken over.

Sick kids are being handed off to the flight staff with their charts and records. Due to the power outage, no copy machines are available, so a Red Cross volunteer is writing the kids names on a list in order to tell parents where their kids have been taken once they can find them.

Maybe someone will take notice that there will always be predators and the strong will try to prey on the weak.

Hospital staff said it is not safe to venture into the hospital as all the drug supplies etc. have been taken over.

I hope the bastards find the Pavulon and Potassium Chloride...

Thank you for responding to our request for nurses to assist with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

We now have 250-plus nurses who have responded and have reported this response to the Louisiana Disaster Management team.

At this time we are delaying deployment until we get the answers to specific questions regarding travel, reimbursement, and safety.

We anticipate having more information within the next 24-48 hours and will advise you immediately.