Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate Recipes


ilovevtac
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wondering what everyone's recipe for their Czechmates?

Figured out my length (1.142) 

Going to be using Montana Gold 124GR JHP or PD 124 JHP

 

Powder is going to be AutoComp (don't know grain weight, probably start at 7GR)

 

Primers will be Federal Small Magnum Pistol Primers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok #1 get your barrel reamed so that you can use an OAL of 1.155"  Auto-Comp will work start at 6.6gn and work up 7.0 will be 170+pf see what your gun likes.  Better powders are VV 3N38, VV N350, they produce more gas for the comp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7.1 Autocomp with 124 Everglades JHP @ 1.165 (reamed barrel} 

This gives 171 PF

i prefer Autocomp as there is no powder spillage during reloading

 

Oh and Everglade bullets have a more round tip profile than PD or MG which will help your oal if your barrel isn’t reamed

Edited by selecw
Update
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had my barrel reamed and I'm currently loading 10 grains of Shooter's World Major pistol behind the RMR 124gr JHP.  I'm averaging 171 with tons of gas to work the comp.

 

I did just buy a bunch of the RMR 115gr JHP's but I haven't chrono'd them yet.  Though I do notice less dot movement using the same load for the 124s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

I've had my barrel reamed and I'm currently loading 10 grains of Shooter's World Major pistol behind the RMR 124gr JHP.  I'm averaging 171 with tons of gas to work the comp.

 

I did just buy a bunch of the RMR 115gr JHP's but I haven't chrono'd them yet.  Though I do notice less dot movement using the same load for the 124s.

 

I prefer the 115s as the dot comes back faster for me. I have a lot of 124s to use up before I can switch to them though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with getting barrel reamed so that you can seat bullets longer.  Preferred load I am running is 9.8GN of Accurate #7 under a Montana Gold 115GN CMJ Round Nose bullet.  Makes ~169PF and is very flat shooting.  Would also suggest you change out the recoil spring (if you have not done so already) to a 9 or 10LB spring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USPSA Major Load

Xtreme 135 FP (9mm)

6.4 Silhouette

Fed 200 Primers

1.150 OAL

Stock Recoil Spring

 

New to USPSA, only 20 matches so far, currently at Open C. But shot the Condor Classifier at A Class, with the above setup.

 

bzr3QLJ.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, Malibu13 said:

Agree with getting barrel reamed so that you can seat bullets longer.  Preferred load I am running is 9.8GN of Accurate #7 under a Montana Gold 115GN CMJ Round Nose bullet.  Makes ~169PF and is very flat shooting.  Would also suggest you change out the recoil spring (if you have not done so already) to a 9 or 10LB spring.

 

What OAL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can do the barrel reaming yourself.  It is very easy to do.  You just need to take your time and go slow.  The reamer can be purchased at Brownell's  or direct from Clymer.  Clymer part # 184053380.  When doing this you need to make sure you do not put ANY downward pressure on the reamer.  Get it chucked up in a tap holder, ube wit hsome cutting fluid, and put in barrel, then gently turn one or two turns, clean out chamber, test fit dummy round that is OAL your looking to use.  Then repeat as needed one or two turns at a time until the dummy round seats properly in barrel.  If you try and put pressure on the reamer it WILL get stuck very easily.  They are very sharp and will make the cut with no pressure being applied to it at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ran these two strings today.  Chronograph missed a couple.  The first string should have had 25 shots and the second should have had 30.  This is Shooter's World Major Pistol loaded to 1.155 OAL.
 
 
String one:
10.3 grains SWMP
Shots: 23
Average: 1450 ft/s
SD: 17 ft/s
Min: 1402 ft/s
Max: 1473 ft/s
Spread: 71 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 166
Power Factor Low: 161
Power Factor High: 169
Barometric Pressure: 29.9 in Hg
Temperature: 62F
Bullet Weight: 115 gr Precision Delta JHP
 
String Two:
10.5 grains SWMP
Notes: Mixed brass. 1.155 OAL Avg.
Shots: 27
Average: 1494 ft/s
SD: 15 ft/s
Min: 1454 ft/s
Max: 1518 ft/s
Spread: 64 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 171
Power Factor Low: 167
Power Factor High: 174
Barometric Pressure: 29.9 in Hg
Temperature: 62F
Bullet Weight: 115 gr. Precision Delta JHP
Edited by clw42
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok so I spoke to a local gunsmith and did some research on my own for lengthening the chamber. Everyone here is saying to ream the barrel in order to allow for a longer load, but from what the gunsmith told me as well as what I've found, that will only allow the cartridge to sit deeper inside the chamber instead of actually solving the issue of the cartridge being too long from the bullet. Wouldn't it be better to throat the chamber of the barrel? This would allow a longer bullet to sit in the chamber, while not necessarily sacrificing the internal dimensions nor the headspace length. In this case, you're actually creating more room for the bullet rather than masking the issues by allowing the cartridge to sit in further. 

 

Anyone got input on this? It is just something as simple as semantics and terminology that has me confused here?

 

 

Edited by tacomandood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Ok so I spoke to a local gunsmith and did some research on my own for lengthening the chamber. Everyone here is saying to ream the barrel in order to allow for a longer load, but from what the gunsmith told me as well as what I've found, that will only allow the cartridge to sit deeper inside the chamber instead of actually solving the issue of the cartridge being too long from the bullet. Wouldn't it be better to throat the chamber of the barrel? This would allow a longer bullet to sit in the chamber, while not necessarily sacrificing the internal dimensions nor the headspace length. In this case, you're actually creating more room for the bullet rather than masking the issues by allowing the cartridge to sit in further. 

 

Anyone got input on this? It is just something as simple as semantics and terminology that has me confused here?

 

 

This is correct.  No one actually means you should be altering the chamber, so it is semantics.  You're removing material in the free space past the chamber but before the rifling (also known as the throat or the leade).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to reaming (throating) my barrel to fit 124gr RMR MPRs (muilti-purpose rounds AKA hollow points). Funny you guys said it only takes a few turns with the reamer, because mine took me a good hour or so and quite a bit of work with the Clymer. Maybe I was doing it wrong? To be fair, the ogive of the RMR bullets are quite a bit longer/wider than PDs or Montanas. This may make some of you cringe, but I actually ended up having to put the throater in my drill and slowly work it in that way since I was getting nowhere doing it by hand. Definitely not my proudest home-gunsmith moment... but it worked a hell of a lot faster lol.

 

Anyway, I picked up a pound of CFE Pistol, as I've had/heard good results in regular and 9 Major loads, respectively. Anybody got data on this or seen anything? I'm gonna load up a handful of rounds with WAC today, and hopefully get out to do some testing by the end of the week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool, thanks for the data!

 

I'm gonna be loading out to about 1.165", depending on how much the case fills with certain powders. I absolutely hate spherical powders, but I'm guessing that's probably the best option since I can't find VV anywhere in bulk.

 

Got 50 rounds loaded up (25 WAC, 25 CFE) and plan to test them no later than this Saturday. Will update with results based on powder charge, velocity, etc. after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Finally got around to reaming (throating) my barrel to fit 124gr RMR MPRs (muilti-purpose rounds AKA hollow points). Funny you guys said it only takes a few turns with the reamer, because mine took me a good hour or so and quite a bit of work with the Clymer. Maybe I was doing it wrong? To be fair, the ogive of the RMR bullets are quite a bit longer/wider than PDs or Montanas. This may make some of you cringe, but I actually ended up having to put the throater in my drill and slowly work it in that way since I was getting nowhere doing it by hand. Definitely not my proudest home-gunsmith moment... but it worked a hell of a lot faster lol.

 

Anyway, I picked up a pound of CFE Pistol, as I've had/heard good results in regular and 9 Major loads, respectively. Anybody got data on this or seen anything? I'm gonna load up a handful of rounds with WAC today, and hopefully get out to do some testing by the end of the week.

 

What reamer were you using?  There should be no reason you had to use your drill to do the throating.  I have done a number of the Czechmate barrels, as have a number of the guys I shoot with, and not one of them required using anything but standard tapping chuck and very light to no pressure what so ever to get the job done.  Did you get a measurement before and after throating and if so how much did you have to remove?  Should have only been a few thousandths of depth in the throat area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Malibu13 said:
 
What reamer were you using?  There should be no reason you had to use your drill to do the throating.  I have done a number of the Czechmate barrels, as have a number of the guys I shoot with, and not one of them required using anything but standard tapping chuck and very light to no pressure what so ever to get the job done.  Did you get a measurement before and after throating and if so how much did you have to remove?  Should have only been a few thousandths of depth in the throat area.

 


Didn’t get exact measurement, but it ended up being about 30 thousandths removed. The issue I had with the RMR bullets was the long ogive. Even before reaming, I couldn’t fit anything longer than about 1.12” so quite a bit had to be taken out. By hand, I was able to get a 1.165” cartridge in about 10 thousands further, but I really had to remove a bit to get one all the way in. Guess we’ll see how it turns out this week when I go to shoot it.

 

Edited by tacomandood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...