Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race holsters with or without barrel supports. Why?

Heatstroke18

So I’m looking to go from a kydex holster to a race holster for a CZ TS Orange. Many options, and I know they all have their fan base. But my questions is some come with barrel supports like the CR Speed, and others like the Double Alpha do not have a barrel support. Is there a benefit to either? Is it just a preference thing?  Just looking for a little insight. Thanks!

Thanks for posting, I was going to do a similar post myself today as I am curious. I have a DAA Alpha X myself with the muzzle support. I’m shooting a CK Arms Thunder Limited with 5.5” barrel. At a local match in December I had an issue with the gun going into holster smoothly so I took the muzzle support off and finished the match without it. I don’t know if it was a placebo effect but my mind was saying it felt faster without the support. In dry fire when I try it with and without it doesn’t seem much different. From all my reading on here, the people that prefer them with the support seem to do so because of seated stages and not bumping the muzzle on the chair and knocking it out of the  holster while getting up. 

Also have an Orange with optics, I have a Alpha magnetic its dangerous, its fired no finger on trigger but pulling gun out of holster it triggered the trigger firing a round right next to my leg, "corner of the block caught trigger firing pistol" Will never use an Alpha again ,true story have witnesses, Anyway looking for a basic holster, right now I'm using Safari one but it's very crude, it's not working as well as I need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I prefer them without supports if I am using it for more than one gun because then slide/BBL length doesn't matter. A Ghost/DAA holster without a muzzle support can support 5" &  6" limited guns and open guns of different lengths without any adjustment needed.   I use a trigger guard type holster for shooting revolver and I can use my 6" 929 or my 5" 627 interchangeably without messing around with adjusting a barrel support.   

51 minutes ago, rancher5 said:

Also have an Orange with optics, I have a Alpha magnetic its dangerous, its fired no finger on trigger but pulling gun out of holster it triggered the trigger firing a round right next to my leg, "corner of the block caught trigger firing pistol" Will never use an Alpha again ,true story have witnesses, Anyway looking for a basic holster, right now I'm using Safari one but it's very crude, it's not working as well as I need.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How did your gun go off with the safety applied? 

I’m in the no support camp

I’ve run cr speed, safariland and bianchi hemisphere all full size holsters and one of the problems I had with all of them was bending down shooting thru low ports, they would all jab me in the leg and my side, limiting my movement

i have no such problem with my much smaller ghost

I have used a racemaster and alpha x for about 4 years with no support and never had a problem.  That said I have heard one really good argument for it.  In seated starts, depending on where your holster is located it is a very real possibility that you could bump the gun up and out of the holster when you stand up.  Having the support wouldnt allow you to put pressure of the muzzle end.  The support would take the pressure and save you.  This had never been an issue for me but it was an interesting observation.

I got the double alpha one with the support because my trigger guard is double undercut, it's pretty thin there and I was worried about the grip breaking. 

I never thought about the seated start this g but now that youze guys mentioned it I'm even happier with it. 

I have both and prefer with the support. 

I've never had an issue without the support, but I'm always worried that someday I might reach down to draw and not close my fingers around the grip properly then have the gun fall on the deck. 

So because of that my draws are always slower because my mind messes with me and I become extra cautious. 

1 hour ago, louu said:

I got the double alpha one with the support because my trigger guard is double undercut, it's pretty thin there and I was worried about the grip breaking. 

Thats an interesting take. Is your grip plastic or steel? I have a double undercut steel grip as well on my CK, I would never imagine that breaking from holster use. 

3 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

I have both and prefer with the support. 

I've never had an issue without the support, but I'm always worried that someday I might reach down to draw and not close my fingers around the grip properly then have the gun fall on the deck. 

So because of that my draws are always slower because my mind messes with me and I become extra cautious. 

Most all of these trigger guard holsters with a barrel support onlynhave a little nub for the barrel so I think if you do enough to knock the gun out of the holster is going to the deck anyways. 

Other thank that. Good things to think about. I used a cr speeds a loaner for a match and liked it but thought the support was a little clunky and though if I had to crouch or start seated it could jab

I don't like the barrel support for no other reason than getting in and out of awkward positions where at strange leg angles it can jab my thigh. With my Alpha-X the gun is just as locked in as with my old safariland while holstered, and when I'm shooting it's more out of the way.

4 hours ago, JMPhotog said:

Thats an interesting take. Is your grip plastic or steel? I have a double undercut steel grip as well on my CK, I would never imagine that breaking from holster use. 

Plastic, just a standard sti grip. 

1 hour ago, Bird_Dog0347 said:

I don't like the barrel support for no other reason than getting in and out of awkward positions where at strange leg angles it can jab my thigh. With my Alpha-X the gun is just as locked in as with my old safariland while holstered, and when I'm shooting it's more out of the way.

I’m really looking hard at the DAA Alpha X. Looks top notch, I like how the entire body is aluminum (insert looks to be delron) where as the ghost “the one” and the cr speed are plastic composite. Just gonna convince myself to bite the $80~ up charge. Might be something I save a little more for. Sell a kidney or something....

8 hours ago, RJH said:

How did your gun go off with the safety applied? 

I As I was drawing the gun up it got caught on the corner of the block I went up and down a few times to unstuck it, yes I must of slid the safety down and off, good part is when I draw its up straight not canted toward my body, we actually like idiots with pistol canted away from my leg had it go off a couple more times not even trying, Im pretty lean "skinny" whatever so don't have a lot of mass to hold a holster solid I suppose.Technically of course gun would not go off if safety stayed on, but as your moving it up and down trying to unhang the pistol, its not that hard to slide safety off by mistake.

6 minutes ago, rancher5 said:

I As I was drawing the gun up it got caught on the corner of the block I went up and down a few times to unstuck it, yes I must of slid the safety down and off, good part is when I draw its up straight not canted toward my body, we actually like idiots with pistol canted away from my leg had it go off a couple more times not even trying, Im pretty lean "skinny" whatever so don't have a lot of mass to hold a holster solid I suppose.Technically of course gun would not go off if safety stayed on, but as your moving it up and down trying to unhang the pistol, its not that hard to slide safety off by mistake.

You realize you could have unloaded the pistol when it was canted away from you right?  I don't think your main  problem was the holster

27 minutes ago, Heatstroke18 said:

I’m really looking hard at the DAA Alpha X. Looks top notch, I like how the entire body is aluminum (insert looks to be delron) where as the ghost “the one” and the cr speed are plastic composite. Just gonna convince myself to bite the $80~ up charge. Might be something I save a little more for. Sell a kidney or something....

Its an awesome holster. I had a Racemaster for 4 years then traded up to the Alpha X. Nothing better for my money

1 hour ago, RJH said:

You realize you could have unloaded the pistol when it was canted away from you right?  I don't think your main  problem was the holster

Yes I knew that, at that point I wasn't worried about shooting my leg were taking a closer look at the whole dynamics, Yes wasn't smart but at the time I was rattled so we took it apart step by step slowly, anyway I'm looking for a more mechanical holster probably an Alpha on hich I been running on a open gun for a couple of years.