Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning AR PCC Lower

So I took my PCC apart last night and realized how absolutely filthy the lower is, magwell and trigger pocket has a lot of powder residue in it and dust.

I shot probably about 5-6k out of it last year without cleaning it much other than the bolt and a bore snake now and then.

How should I go about cleaning the lower out?  Spray CLP all over and whip it down?  Not sure.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

So I took my PCC apart last night and realized how absolutely filthy the lower is, magwell and trigger pocket has a lot of powder residue in it and dust.

I shot probably about 5-6k out of it last year without cleaning it much other than the bolt and a bore snake now and then.

How should I go about cleaning the lower out?  Spray CLP all over and whip it down?  Not sure.

Thanks

I  spray mine with brake cleaner,

Make sure your optic is protected.

Blow it out with my air compressor, break out the Qtips and then lube all the wear surfaces

and trigger parts.

For something that filthy....

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner to start.  You can flush a lot out with a nice constant spray.  Follow by using compressed air to blow it out. 

Follow up with CLP and let it soak for a while.  Take a cheap tooth brush and scrub a bit.  Use the air compressor again.   You will want to lubricate with oil after using brake cleaner.

Probably best to keep up on PCC cleaning.  They are filthy beasts.

Yah I guess I wasn't looking at the lower too much...might explain the few issues I had on the last stage of the last match of 2018.  Has 3 rounds that didn't quite cycle right (guess it could have been ammo too).

Going to clean it up the best I can with CLP...if that doesn't do the job I'll have to grab a can of brake cleaner tomorrow.

Thanks

Find it easier just to take out trigger and clean it without blasting it with a bunch of brake cleaner. Just take lower and upper part, spray with m-pro7, let it sit and then wipe it away. Assemble and relube. 

Well I hosed out the lower with a lot of CLP and gave it a good scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Was able to get everything squeaky clean but the trigger group.  It is much better than it was but could stand a lil more TLC.

I also gave the upper and BCG a good cleaning....it needed it too.

I will probably pull the trigger at some point soon and keep a better eye on things.  I don't plan on shooting a ton of PCC this year probably only Steel Challenge once a month.

If you stick with a somewhat frequent cleaning routine, very little scrubbing is necessary. An occasional Q-tip takes care of the gunk stuck down in those nooks and crannies.

Every 800 to 1000 rds I'll blow out the lower with brake cleaner, dry with an air compressor and follow that with some lube on the trigger wear points.  Its a Hipefire 24c and does not require much.  I also like to run a 12 gauge shotgun swab through the buffer tube to keep it free of anything that my cause the buffer to rub.  I wipe down the Blitzkrieg buffer and JP spring with an oily rag to clean and lube slightly.

The upper is a different story.  I run a bore snake and hit the bolt with brake cleaner after each outing. A complete teardown and clean of the bolt is on the same schedule as the lower, 800 to 1000 rds or so.  I wipe out the inside of the upper with a clean rag dipped in mineral spirits followed by a good dose of CLP.    I like to run the bolt a bit wet.

In the near future I'm switching from N-320 to Sport Pistol so my cleaning routine may need to be a little more frequent.

Clean gun = a well running gun.

Well running gun = happy shooter.  

Whenever I get around to it, usually twice a year(I shoot 20-30K a year) I just hose the lower out with carb cleaner(not brake cleaner), blow it out with compressed air and lube the trigger, safety and take down pins. I prefer to use carb cleaner, because unlike brake clean carb clean normally has a bit of lube/corrosion inhibitor built in. 

Edited by Patrick Scott
33 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Whenever I get around to it, usually twice a year(I shoot 20-30K a year) I just hose the lower out with carb cleaner(not brake cleaner), blow it out with compressed air and lube the trigger, safety and take down pins. I prefer to use carb cleaner, because unlike brake clean carb clean normally has a bit of lube/corrosion inhibitor built in. 

Carb cleaner is a much more aggressive cleaner, and has a tendency to remove paint type finishes and can melt plastic.

I find the brake cleaner to be plenty strong enough, without the worry of cooking something you dont want cooked.

21 hours ago, Startingover said:

Carb cleaner is a much more aggressive cleaner, and has a tendency to remove paint type finishes and can melt plastic.

I find the brake cleaner to be plenty strong enough, without the worry of cooking something you dont want cooked.

There is nothing on my gun for the stuff to eat up. If its an issue throttle body cleaner for fuel injected cars works well and can be had in "plastic safe" flavor.  

• 2 weeks later...

Anymore I just take the trigger parts out and clean, it's super quick.  Also gives you a chance to inspect the springs,  I found a broken one that hadn't caused a malfunction yet right before area 1 last year doing this and now make it a routine. 

Edited by stango424

clean after every time I shoot ...I cover my optics with Saran wrap then spray my lower and bolt area with CLP  cleaner, lubricant & preservative … use a small artist paint brush to get into all the tight areas and larger brush elsewhere .. then blow it out with air compressor...then wipe all the outside with a clean cloth & clean the optics lens with lens cleaner....

My bolt and upper get cleaned about every 500 rds. The barrel and lower get cleaned a couple times each year. When you clean the bolt don't neglect the extractor, pull it and clean the channel also. My basic routine is;

- blast everything down with non chlorinated brake cleaner and blow out with compressed air

- detail clean with a brush, pick or tip as needed

- coat everything with silicone spray and remove excess. 

I wipe/brush out every time (don't shoot it that much/that often) and re-lube.

If it were as nasty as some of my .223's have been then I'd just separate the upper from the lower, hold the lower by the stock and spray it out with carb cleaner.

Just be sure to wear safety glasses/goggles - you don't what that stuff in your eyes.  Did it once, never want to do that again.

After it dries I spray some lube in (gotta get some oil/lube back on the bare metal after carb spray cleaning) and the lube the springs/trigger/hammer pin, safety, take down pins, magazine release and bolt hold open parts with Mobil 1 and it's good to go till the next time.