Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giving up on Agency FSS Trigger kit

Salsantini

I've had an Agency Arms FSS trigger kit in my 5" M&P pro for a while.  The trigger kit is amazing.  The issue is that it does not always fire.  I've played with the adjustment of the trigger loop.  In my pistol when the trigger is fully pressed to the rear it won't quite push up the striker block completely.  It fires most of the time , but it is not consistent.  I've adjusted the loop to the rear most point for the sear to still release.  Tried putting the original striker block back in since it engages earlier.  Still the same issue.  Time to go back to the standard trigger with the Apex sear.

19 hours ago, mattmann said:

Apex flat faced trigger with internals is 100% for me. Shoots incredible on my m&p pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Agency kit uses the Apex FSS sear internals with Agency's trigger.  I am disappointed this didn't work in my pistol.  By far this is the best set up for the M&P pistol.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, Salsantini said:

The Agency kit uses the Apex FSS sear internals with Agency's trigger.  I am disappointed this didn't work in my pistol.  By far this is the best set up for the M&P pistol.

That's crazy ...

Do you think the little spike/bump on the arm (that pushes on the striker block) has been polished or damaged to the point where it has gotten too short ... or ... the tip (on the rear of the arm) that guides it has gotten bent??

2082671831_triggerbar.jpg.db8898fbd8d3a597d45e6da6f0bacda1.jpg

Edit: New trigger bars are only $14!! 😬 

Edited by pete627

On 2/9/2019 at 1:36 PM, pete627 said:

That's crazy ...

Do you think the little spike/bump on the arm (that pushes on the striker block) has been polished or damaged to the point where it has gotten too short ... or ... the tip (on the rear of the arm) that guides it has gotten bent??

2082671831_triggerbar.jpg.db8898fbd8d3a597d45e6da6f0bacda1.jpg

Edit: New trigger bars are only $14!! 😬 

I replaced the trigger bar with a new one.  The tip is straight and I did not polish any material off of this trigger bar.    The limiting factor Is the Agency trigger.  It is at its most rearward position and the striker block is not fully depressed. 

Edited by Salsantini

There are couple of different M&P trigger bars sold by S&W - they are marked with an alphabetic character (H or S). They do seem to have slightly different profiles, so you may find one works better than another. They are available from Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/triggers/m-p-trigger-bar-assembly-h--prod82853.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/triggers/trigger-bar-assembly-s--prod23200.aspx

24 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

There are couple of different M&P trigger bars sold by S&W - they are marked with an alphabetic character (H or S). They do seem to have slightly different profiles, so you may find one works better than another. They are available from Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/triggers/m-p-trigger-bar-assembly-h--prod82853.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/trigger-parts/triggers/trigger-bar-assembly-s--prod23200.aspx

Didn't think of that!  I do Have an H bar in the pistol.  The original bar the pistol came with has no Markings.  I found an extra  bar in my stash Marked S.  I will try the S marked one an see how that works. 

Have you ever seen a bar unmarked?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, Salsantini said:

Didn't think of that!  I do Have an H bar in the pistol.  The original bar the pistol came with has no Markings.  I found an extra  bar in my stash Marked S.  I will try the S marked one an see how that works. 

Have you ever seen a bar unmarked?

Ok,  Update on this issue.  I have all three types of trigger bars.  Unmarked, S, and H.  I tried all three and ended with the same result.  At the point the striker releases the striker block in not fully depressed and when the striker releases the forward movement of the striker pushes up the striker block.  This is what is causing the inconsistent firing. I completely switched out the FSS and trigger with a stock trigger and regular Apex sear and the striker block is fully compressed before the striker releases.  

3 minutes ago, Salsantini said:

I had also replace the striker with a new striker.

Well ... that's pretty much "it" then ... I would just make sure it is unloaded and give it to your dog. 😬

recycleglockdog.jpg.c87cd4bc91523c5a86dc22e3f5a6b98e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My boss recently had this same issue. Ended up being the hole for the pin that attaches the trigger to the trigger bar was drilled in the incorrect spot. Bought another trigger and changed it out. Fixed his problem and hasnt had another issue with his M&P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So I finally got around to installing the Apex FSS trigger in place of the Agency trigger.  Same result as I had with the Agency trigger.  I set the trigger bar loop as far back as possible so it did not release the sear.  Then I opened it up so it was just releasing the sear at the most rearward travel.  The striker block does not fully depress.  Went back to a Apex standard sear with the factory trigger.  No issue.  The striker block fully depresses with this setup.  I guess my pistol is at the far end of the M&P tolerance levels.  Ok with the standard sear.  Not with the FSS sear.  

• 4 weeks later...

Is it worth calling Apex? I can't think but that they'd help since you are 100% Apex now.  I've seen threads where they have helped folks with guns with the "generous" tolerances M&Ps often......feature.

Edited by sheepdog

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Remove material from the front of the ramp on the sear, so that the trigger has to move further to the rear before the striker is released.

Simple modification which will give the travel needed for the striker block to be fully depressed into the slide.

The Trigger was already at its most rearward position pressed up against the frame.  At this point removing material from the sear won't make a difference.  If the trigger allowed for more movement this would work.  But short of taking material off of the trigger I don't see this as an option.  

Edited by Salsantini

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WhiteDingo said:

You'd need a lathe to do it correctly, but you could cut the striker block so it is slightly further down at rest, and is engaged sooner by the trigger bar. I've turned a couple that way; it's a little tedious, but doable.

much easier to take out trigger bar, remove some material from bottom end of candy cane "slope" so candy cane can be closed further than it currently is. Same result as removing material from sear, namely delaying contact with sear until striker safety block is lifted more, hopefully.

Mark

Edited by mpom
spelling

6 hours ago, mpom said:

much easier to take out trigger bar, remove some material from bottom end of candy cane "slope" so candy cane can be closed further than it currently is. Same result as removing material from sear, namely delaying contact with sear until striker safety block is lifted more, hopefully.

Mark

Except his trigger is already bottomed out on the frame, so closing the loop any further will prevent the gun from going off at all, unless I mis-read.

3 hours ago, WhiteDingo said:

Except his trigger is already bottomed out on the frame, so closing the loop any further will prevent the gun from going off at all, unless I mis-read.

No, I missed that part 🤪