Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger bar differences?

jeff40

I put an Apex duty/carry AEK in my standard .40 including the striker safety. Now I'm getting occasional failure to fire. The old sear housing Block had the small diameter plunger so I put in a new one from Brownells along with a new "H" trigger bar. The raised portion of the trigger bar doesn't travel rearward enough to engage the striker block adequately. Any ideas? Does the "S" trigger bar have more reach?

It's not really as simple as opening or closing it. However, if you opened it, that could definitely be the source of your issues. Be cautious about dryfiring it until you can get that block engaging again otherwise you might start peening the striker.

Good idea. I'll try the pencil. It's a low-mileage carry gun, so I've never messed with the striker spring. Memphis, 50 rounds of factory actually did 100%, but the reloads in question were either Winchester or CCI primers, and double checked to be seated.

I ordered a new striker assembly from Brownells. I compared with my 9L striker and it appears this problem gun is probably one of the earliest models with none of the upgrades.

I got it guys! Apparently my gun was one of the first off the assembly line. The old style striker didn't get along well with the Apex USB. There's a marked difference between the old and new strikers. Dropped in the new one and the gun is running 100%. I even ran some culls with high primers and they all went bang. Launched the pencil right to the ceiling! Thanks all of you for your input.