Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is into bourbon?

My second biggest hobby!  I am a huge fan of Blaum Brothers Knotter Bourbon, Michters age stated bottles and Willet Family Estate!  I obviously have all the other usual suspects in the collection!

What do you all love?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will follow this for some suggestions.  I'm such a non-expert, I consider whiskey to be bourbon.  Apologies.  Jameson is my usual whiskey, but I have dabbled in a few blends though nothing so amazing that I'd recommend one over another.  As a matter of fact... now you have me thinking about it... some Irish Whiskey and an episode of Punisher might be just the thing...

16 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Will follow this for some suggestions.  I'm such a non-expert, I consider whiskey to be bourbon.  Apologies.  Jameson is my usual whiskey, but I have dabbled in a few blends though nothing so amazing that I'd recommend one over another.  As a matter of fact... now you have me thinking about it... some Irish Whiskey and an episode of Punisher might be just the thing...

If Jamo is your thing and you really enjoy Irish Whiskey then maybe thats just where you are at right now!!  I would highly highly recommend grabbing a bottle of Red Breast 12 and sipping that!  Jamo is fine for the price but doesnt hold a candle to the RB.

As for Bourbon...  I would suggest something thats proofed down a bit!  Maybe start with something cheap and simple like Elijah Craig!  If you can find it Bowman Brothers is a nice choice.  Its literally Elmir T Lee (which is from Buffalo Trace and very hard to find these days), taken back to Virginia, redistilled and bottled in Bowmans bottle.

Let me know if you get a chance to try those and Ill give thoughts from there:)!

1 minute ago, Mcfoto said:

Blanton’s as a default but there’s all kinds of small batch distilleries putting out great stuff.

Blantons is fantastic!  Two big problems... 

1. Its getting hard to find

2. Its getting expensive.  Right now in our area its around $80 bucks... 

Otherwise yes, its a solid bottle that I enjoy a lot!

1 minute ago, Face5535 said:

Blantons is fantastic!  Two big problems... 

1. Its getting hard to find

2. Its getting expensive.  Right now in our area its around $80 bucks... 

Otherwise yes, its a solid bottle that I enjoy a lot!

Yes expensive but save it for occasions and sipping straight. Maybe an Old Fashion with top-notch ingredients. For any day mixed drinks, honestly Jim Beam will do.

Bulleit for me.  Its on the sweet side which I like in a bourbon.  Not crazy on the price either.  Tried a lot of different stuff and I keep going back to it.  The name doesn't hurt either lol.

27 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

More of a scotch guy with a healthy dose of rum from time to time. But occasionally I dip into the Maker's Mark.

My Grandpappy always said, "Whiskey is drinkin'. Rum is survivin'. ;)

Im a big fan of Rum and Scotch as well!  What are your favorites there?

1 minute ago, Dranoel said:

Scotch; Glenlivet is my fave but any of the Glens will make me happy.  Rum; Cruzan Single Barrel. (Also make the best Apple Pie in the world. ;)

Nice, PM me the recipe if you dont mind (apple pie).  

For scotch I love a well aged Glendronach or even Aberlour.

Any Four Square rum is a winner for me... Have a lot of all the brown liquors:)! 

Recipe is easy:

1 gal apple cider

2 cups of sugar

1 tbsp cinnamon

1 bottle Cruzan Single Barrel

Bring cider, sugar and cinnamon to a slow simmer and stir frequently until you boil off about a pint of liquid. Let it cool to room temp and add Cruzan. Serve Iced or warm. ;)

6 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

Recipe is easy:

1 gal apple cider

2 cups of sugar

1 tbsp cinnamon

1 bottle Cruzan Single Barrel

Bring cider, sugar and cinnamon to a slow simmer and stir frequently until you boil off about a pint of liquid. Let it cool to room temp and add Cruzan. Serve Iced or warm. ;)

Nice!  I do something very similar with just use everclear vs rum.  Ill give this a shot!

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Face5535 said:

Nice!  I do something very similar with just use everclear vs rum.  Ill give this a shot!

Thanks!

Yeah, Everclear packs a good whollop, but I'm not looking for the whollop. I'm looking for the taste and rum give it just the perfect balance. You could go with 151 and get close to everclear and still have the better taste.

1 hour ago, Tangowhiskey said:

Eagle rare is my fav. Elijah Craig small batch for the money is a daily drinker as well. Of course blantons and weller is a good to keep on hand. 

ER17 is some of my fav... esp the older ones.  Not the bigger fan of the regular stuff though.  Most people do really enjoy it though!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, ok, ok.... Ok,  I used to be a Scotch drinker, single malt stuff.  Got introduced to the blends in the Marines.  My favorite at the time was MacCallans (might not be spelled right) it was 20 or 25 year old.  Very expensive so I didn't drink it too often.  liked a few other single malts but don't remember what they were.  Always drank it neat.  (No ice, No water, No mixer) 

Then when out celebrating something one of the guys bought shots of Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon for everyone.   It was then I had an epiphany.

Why on Gods green earth was I drinking Scotch when I could be enjoying Bourbon.  No wonder the Scotts use barrels from American bourbon distillers to age their scotch.

Glad we had a limo that night.    Again I always drink my bourbon neat,  never contaminate good bourbon with additives.  That's what the cheaper stuff is made for, mixing.  Like Jim Beam, Jack, and many others.  Although I do like George Dickel, Jack, and Jim neat sometimes.

My current favorites:  Knob Creek (always), 1792, Larceny,  and a new one for me Old Forester 100 proof (white label) (not the cheaper one).

These are my favorite wheated bourbons, Wellers 12 year old,  Wellers 107 (107 proof).   These two are very hard to find.  The Wellers Special Reserve is plentiful but a little to harsh.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze.

Happy Trails.... May the good Lord take a liking to you.

P.S. Yes that picture of me to the left is what happens to you when you drink scotch.

Edited by Szczinator
forgot to add.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:41 PM, Face5535 said:

My second biggest hobby!  I am a huge fan of Blaum Brothers Knotter Bourbon, Michters age stated bottles and Willet Family Estate!  I obviously have all the other usual suspects in the collection!

What do you all love?

Love bourbon. Actually, good liquor, in general. Love good tequila, mezcal, bourbon, just got into gin (found really great ones).

Right now, my bourbon go to is Noah's Mill.  Bought a case of it a while back. Pappy 23 was ok, I don't think any liquor is worth over $300 per bottle, much less tens of thousands.

More commonly found - I also rather like Woodford Reserve Single Bbl Double Oak. 

There are quite a few local Texas "bourbons" that I also sip on.

Lately I have been enjoying a lot of 1792.  Woodford's Reserve is my go-to for on-the-rocks sippin.  Woodfords double barrel is very nice too. My absolute fav for sippin is Jack Daniels Sinatra.  Expensive ($154 a bottle) but worth it.

Now, more important question is what is your fav cigar and bourbon paring? 

Liga Privada #9 and anything for me.