Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is into bourbon?

15 minutes ago, GregJ said:

Lately I have been enjoying a lot of 1792.  Woodford's Reserve is my go-to for on-the-rocks sippin.  Woodfords double barrel is very nice too. My absolute fav for sippin is Jack Daniels Sinatra.  Expensive ($154 a bottle) but worth it.

Now, more important question is what is your fav cigar and bourbon paring? 

Liga Privada #9 and anything for me.  

I'm not fancy enough for cigars!

Will check out Jack Daniels Sinatra, thanks for the heads up!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/31/2019 at 8:28 PM, Face5535 said:

If Jamo is your thing and you really enjoy Irish Whiskey then maybe thats just where you are at right now!!  I would highly highly recommend grabbing a bottle of Red Breast 12 and sipping that! 

Jamo is my go  to, and I agree - Red Breast 12 year is almost too smooth.

1 minute ago, TwoShot said:

I drink Woodford Reserve as my go to bourbon.  When I want to celebrate I drink Woodford Double Oaked.  When I crave something different it's Redbreast Irish Whiskey.

Im a fan of Irish Whiskey and that's 3 endorsements for Redbreast, Ill go grab a bottle. Thanks, yall.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:03 PM, blueorison said:

Going, today!

They were totally out! But they had the sherry cask edition for $5 more. I read a review that favored it, alongside the 12yr. They said it was slightly less sweet. Im going back on Thursday to check more locations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 6:35 PM, TwoShot said:

I drink Woodford Reserve as my go to bourbon.  When I want to celebrate I drink Woodford Double Oaked.  When I crave something different it's Redbreast Irish Whiskey.

Alright, ya'll, I tried Redbreast 12yr! They had it for $50 at the Twin Liquors dollar sale, which was suprisingly lower than Total Wine.. and a nice deal. I broke it open with 2 of my buddies (1 of whom picked it up for me because I was at a night match and couldn't make it in time for the Saturday/lastday sale!) and we enjoyed it. I am definitely more of a fan of bourbon and not so much Scotch, but I still really liked it! The one scotch I make exception for is the JW Blue bottle (was a gift! I don't believe any liquor is worth hundreds of dollars; I've tried Pappy, etc.), I actually really like it. The rest are too... peaty/salty for me.

Thanks for the rec, ya'll!

• 2 weeks later...

Every year, I have a new year's resolution to either explore the world of red wine or the world of bourbon, but each year, it never happens, because I just like beer too much to displace it.  But, I did try a couple years ago, and did the Bourbon Trail (in fact, I'm wearing that t-shirt today), and I totally understood how and why people love bourbon.  It's great.

It's a challenge for me, because I rarely drink at home.  I'm more of a social drinker, and beer is both cheaper and safer to drink when out and about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Blanton's is my go to. I picked up a bottle of Blanton's straight from the barrel the last time I went out of the country. The problem with Blanton's is all of it except the 1 version is sold internationally. 

43 minutes ago, Hawk21 said:

I prefer Woodford Double Oaked but am surprised this thread is almost to page 3 and not a mention of Four Roses.... they have some terrific selections as well.

4Roses is some of my all time favorite bourbon... esp for the money.  Hard to beat a single barrel store pick... esp a OBSK, OBSO, or OESK.

Any of them will due though! 

Barton 1792 warehouse collapse

Happened about a year ago, but as I understand it when all was said and done they only lost 1200 or so barrels. I've tried 1792 and have to say it had a very rich flavor profile. But with the loss of so many barrels being aged, the price may go beyond my budget.

Edited by Dranoel

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, ok, ok.... Ok,  I found another one I like.  George Dickel No 12, 90 proof.  Amazingly smooth and flavorful and not expensive.  Again I sip all my bourbon neat,  no ice, no water nothing to contaminate it, just like I drink coffee.  Dark roast, strong and black, no sugar, no cream, no contaminates.  I like my water the way, no contaminates, but I will add ice and water to it.

That is a nice cabinet.  Nice representation of the Van Winkle family too.   Shame they are still full.  It's not a bourbon but that bottle of Don Julio hiding in the upper right corner might be my favorite of the bunch.