Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Primer Strikes

hlpressley

Hey guys I am experiencing some light primer strikes with the SP-01 CO gun that has been completely worked over by CZC. Gun ran fine for probably 1,000 rounds or so but all of a sudden at my last match it began to light strike. It does have the 8.5lb hammer spring but I’m also only using Federal primers that are seated as deep as the Dillon 650 will go. I have checked everything that I know to check. Am I destined to run the 11.5lb hammer spring and Federal primers? 

Hey guys I am experiencing some light primer strikes with the SP-01 CO gun that has been completely worked over by CZC. Gun ran fine for probably 1,000 rounds or so but all of a sudden at my last match it began to light strike. It does have the 8.5lb hammer spring but I’m also only using Federal primers that are seated as deep as the Dillon 650 will go. I have checked everything that I know to check. Am I destined to run the 11.5lb hammer spring and Federal primers? 
pull out the firing pin and clean the channel. also, check if the firing pin spring is broke and/or the firing pin itself

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Rnlinebacker said:

pull out the firing pin and clean the channel. also, check if the firing pin spring is broke and/or the firing pin itself

Thanks. I’ve actually already checked these and both seem to be fine. My next step is to order an extended firing pin from CGW to see if that would help. I’m not sure if CZC installed one when they performed the work or not. The interesting part is that the gun worked fine for the first 1k or so rounds. 

Thanks. I’ve actually already checked these and both seem to be fine. My next step is to order an extended firing pin from CGW to see if that would help. I’m not sure if CZC installed one when they performed the work or not. The interesting part is that the gun worked fine for the first 1k or so rounds. 
what? they worked it over and didn't install the extended firing pin [emoji2955][emoji2955]. did they offer the option?

2 hours ago, hlpressley said:

I had a similar situation.  Pistol ran fine for ~1000 rounds, and then started having light strikes.  My problem turned out to be a defective firing pin spring that didn't keep the impact end of the firing pin back far enough. 

A new spring held the firing pin further to the rear, with more sticking out of the firing pin stop.  This allowed more hammer energy to be transferred to the firing pin, curing the light strikes.  

Check to see if the firing pin extends further through the rear of the firing pin stop when you hold the muzzle up than when it is muzzle down.  If it does, you need a new firing pin spring.  There was a batch of bad reduced power firing pin springs out a while back.  They would take a "set" after some use, and then would not keep the firing pin spring back far enough.  

If your firing pin measures longer than 2.480", you already have an extended firing pin.  

Edited by Ken6PPC

I would definitely get an extended firing pin. I personally would also not go lighter than an 11.5# main spring. I know others do, but for me the benefits of 100% reliability over a half pound lighter pull has priority. 

38 minutes ago, abb1 said:

I would definitely get an extended firing pin. I personally would also not go lighter than an 11.5# main spring. I know others do, but for me the benefits of 100% reliability over a half pound lighter pull has priority. 

This.

I tried the 8# spring and while it works with the extended  firing pinand reduced firing pin spring, I have to use federal primers which are a pain to find. So I went with the 11.5# from CGW along with the ext firing pinand reduced firing pin spring and it lights off any brand of primers 100%. I even experimented by installing the stock firing pin and stock spring and it too lit off all the primers (CCi, WSP, Fiocchi and Remington) I used with my reloads.

Yeah you probably don't have an extended FP. I also agree with others that using the 8.5 and being tied to Federal primers isn't the best course. The 11.5 with an extended FP will set off anything reliably.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, hlpressley said:

Thanks everyone. I ordered  an extended firing pin as well as a few other items from CGW today. I will update with my findings. 

Hope it all goes well, keep us posted, best of luck.