Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd

j1b

DO I go 4" or 5"

When I shot them before I had a 4" but knowing I like a 5" 1911 is making me wonder.

Also - in production what can I have done to it? Sights? Trigger? Is that about it?

J

DO I go 4" or 5"

When I shot them before I had a 4" but knowing I like a 5" 1911 is making me wonder.

Also - in production what can I have done to it? Sights? Trigger? Is that about it?

J

Grip Tape, springs. You also have 2 ounces to play with ---- so a tungsten guiderod may be viable. Personally I like the longer sight radius of the Glock 34 (5.35") over the 17 (4.5"), but others prefer the shorter guns......

Hey Jack..

you can do sights, trigger and grip tape..in USPSA you can put in an aftermarket barrel too..

I think I would go 5" just for the sight radius..but for you it probably doesn't make that much difference..

right now I am a big fan of the CZ SP01..as far as fit/feel and pointability..I am shooting it pretty well..but my scores will be the measure..

best

stuart

Jack, call Rich (RIIID) at Canyon Creek. He will answer all your questions. And he can set you up with what you are lookin' for.

If I was gettin' one, it would be the 5 inch 9 mm. But I have a Glock 34 and am VERY happy with it, so I ain't gettin' one ............yet.

Is an extended mag release button a no-no in Production?? (yes I'm in a lazy mode)

if it is available from the factory on another production legal gun.

meaning like the G34..you take its mag release and slide release and stick them on a G17.

if it is on the production approved list and available from the factory it is good to go..

I went with the 5 in, I just like the longer sight radius as well. I'll add some praise to the Canyon Creek band wagon also. I had Rich work on my XD and couldn't be happier with the work or the turn time. He worked the trigger, sights, and refinished the metal parts; it was only gone 7 days.

I dry-fired a Springfield Custom Shop trigger job on an XD. Immediately started laughing [in surprise] because the take-up was a few ounces and the break was noticeably lighter than the lightest custom Glock trigger. Great production gun. If it could hold enough rounds of 40cal it could've been good in Limited too.

SmittyFL may have his Canyon Creek 5" XD by now. Not sure if he got the 'best of the best' trigger job or not.

I dry-fired a Springfield Custom Shop trigger job on an XD. Immediately started laughing [in surprise] because the take-up was a few ounces and the break was noticeably lighter than the lightest custom Glock trigger. Great production gun. If it could hold enough rounds of 40cal it could've been good in Limited too.

SmittyFL may have his Canyon Creek 5" XD by now. Not sure if he got the 'best of the best' trigger job or not.

My XD trigger is 2 lbs, tiny take up, tiny overtravel, I'm not willing to mess around with it more than that because Springfield told me flat out, they won't sell parts to customers. I told them flat out, that is just plain stupid. That is the only downside that I've seen to the XD so far :) You just can't have spare parts, but you can ship it to the factory and they will change out the part for you.

I'm shooting an XD-40 Tactical in Limited-10. Its been alot of fun. I'm still running a factory trigger but I have a solid stainless guide rod, 16lbs recoil spring and a homemade magazine well.

I also have an XD-40 Service that now that I am reloading I am going to work up a minor 40S&W load and start shooting production.

mcb

Thanks all, I'll probably go 5" but I've got a couple more inquiries to make.

I appreciate the suggestions on modifications too. I'll probably stick to a stock barrel just in case I go overseas with the thing. As for sights, can I do Bo-Mars or do they have to be made to fit?

Anyhow - I'll send all custom work through Springfield. They've never done me wrong and I honestly think Dave Williams is the least known best gunsmith out there. He's built nearly all of my guns and I have to say I have no complaints!

Anyhow - I'll keep you all posted. If (when) I get one I'll be looking for a source on ammo. Frankly that's why I want to shoot production - I can buy ammo cheap and won't have to reload!!!!

J

Anyhow - I'll keep you all posted. If (when) I get one I'll be looking for a source on ammo. Frankly that's why I want to shoot production - I can buy ammo cheap and won't have to reload!!!!

J

Uh Jack don't you work for Walmart? The mecca of the cheap 100 rd White Box. :P Even if you work for Kmart nobody beats Wally World. Now most "hotdogs" are shooting heavy 147grs with fast powders

I just bought a XD Springfield Custom Tactical and will probably get Bomars soon.

You caught me Bill!

I want the below cost, ruin my barrel in 1000 rounds stuff!

OK - you're right. I'll buy my stuff at Wal-Mart. The important component is cheap and no time reloading.

I know I haven't loaded as many rounds as many of you - but I dare say I've loaded my fair share. Factory bought looks a lot more appealing now that I have a little more money in the pocket.

J

You mean my buddy Smitty is going to shoot Production?? That rat didnt even tell me he was getting an XD and having a trigger job done on it. Maybe he's taking me up on my offer. I had told Shannon at the Nats to stop shooting Lim and start shooting Prod b/c he was diagnosing stages for hi caps and I told him his info wasnt helping me at all.

Come on Shannon, shoot a man's gun.

Sorry, I typed that question wrong.

What I meant was - are Bo-Mar's allowed even if a slide cut is necessary. I wouldn't be doing it myself, I'd be having someone else do it. I just wasn't certain if it is legal by production rules.

J

You are legal to melt sights into the slide for USPSA Production. I'm not sure about IPSC Production. Even if it is currently legal for IPSC Production, there is a strong chance they are going away from allowing that type of mod.