Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd

j1b

I used my Canyon Creek modified XD-9 tactical to win production Div. at last months local match. The thing I don't like about the XD is that it's noticably top heavy, which gives a shake to my gun. I think I like my new CZ-85 better and will have it modified as a potential replacement (when I get some more $). People say the XD mags are somewhat flimsy, which I can believe but haven't noticed yet.

I picked up my XD9 tactical last night and shot it in production today. I really like this pistol. To me it seemed to get back on target quickly, point naturally and have low felt recoil. I am a shooter who only goes to a match once a month and doesnt get much other oppurtunity to shoot and this gun was very easy to use. Now if I could get a chance to practice, maybe when I finally get my classification card, it will be something higher than a D. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Ordered the XD today - 5" tactical with new sights and a trigger job.

To be honest, I'm really looking forward to this. No reloading for one, but Matt Mink is one of the top ranked production shooters in the nation. Hopefully I can get up to speed and he and I can share in some good matches together - God I love competition!!!!

Plus, it'll be fun to try and win a couple of club matches with the gear. That will be challenging but fun.

Thanks to all for the advice.

J

I've got an XD on the way for an article. Coming from Irv at Bar-sto. Not only the "usual" Bo-mars and trigger work, but he's fitted three barrels, 9, .357 Sig and 40 to it. What's the Wallyworld white Box 357 Sig price? :P

Compared to the cost of getting to a WS, the expense of buying a new XD in the Fall of 2007 is not much.

I've tried the XD trigger jobs from both the Springfield Custom Shop and Canyon Creek and they are different. If anyone going to the Monster Match has an XD with Loves2Shoot's trigger I'd like to try it and compare all three.

Monster Match [sold out]

Of course if you're shooting these stages with an XD you must Love2Reload. :D

I've tried the XD trigger jobs from both the Springfield Custom Shop and Canyon Creek and they are different. If anyone going to the Monster Match has an XD with Loves2Shoot's trigger I'd like to try it and compare all three.

Monster Match [sold out]

Of course if you're shooting these stages with an XD you must Love2Reload.  :D

Can you discribe the difference between SA and CC's trigger jobs? Which did you like best? I'm thinking about getting one done on my XD-40 this winter for next season.

I did shoot a 60 round stage with my XD and it was a blast. 6 reloads on the clock, I loved it!

mcb

The Springfield Custom Shop trigger was lighter with a lot more travel. The take-up was just ounces and about as long as a stock Glock's take-up. The resistance builds up almost at the very end [no striker to pull back like Glock] and then broke fairly crisp at something less than my 22oz Vanek trigger.

Smitty's Canyon Creek trigger was very trick. Maybe not as light but it breaks much earlier and then there is NO overtravel. I asked him "did I do something wrong" as in, I thought I had not reset the action when I held the trigger back, racked the slide, then released the trigger to break another shot. 'No, Rich just eliminates all the travel after that point' or similar. The trigger never travels back beyond a certain point, several 10ths of an inch less than stock.

I dry-fired both guns only. It would be really interesting to shoot them side-by-side and see which is faster, which is more accurate with a little practice. Just a guess, I'd say the Canyon Creek is gonna make for faster Bill Drills, the Springfield would drill tighter groups, for the same shooter effort.

If you have long fingers you will like the Canyon Creek better, if you have short fingers you will [probably] like the Custom Shop more.

The best deal on 9mm new ammo is from Natchez.com. I buy Blazer, 115 gr ammo for $207 delivered for 2000 rounds. Beats Wally world and no tax. They shoot great out of my G34 - have bought 10,000 rounds this year and fired almost 9000 of them without a single issue.

Rick

Matt,

Rick and Canyon Creek is just putting the finishing touches on my XD. While it will probably not be done by this weekends match let me know if you want to try it when it comes back. ;)

Matt,

Rick and Canyon Creek is just putting the finishing touches on my XD.  While it will probably not be done by this weekends match let me know if you want to try it when it comes back.  ;)

{in a William Shattner Voice}

Try it before you buy it? Brilliant!

{Shattner off}

Yah I would love to give your XD a try when you get it. The would be great!

Thanks for the offer.

mcb

Monster Match [sold out]

Of course if you're shooting these stages with an XD you must Love2Reload.  :D

You're right Eric, Im shooting Monster Match with my G17, same gun and gear Ive been using for months now. I already put on a few more mag pouches, I have 7 of them. Im going to love every second of it. :D

So you successfully bribed Smitty - how much is that Nationals slot going to set you back? [kidding]

*Evil Grin*

If you're on my squad, you can borrow my G17 mags & shoot Limited Minor. My mags go 29,28,23,19,19,17 for a total of 135 rounds to start each stage.

Just received my XD back from Rich at Canyon Creek. WOW. He did a fantastic job. I cannot wait to take it to the range. The trigger feels great; short and crisp like my SVs. And, the KG Kote job looks fantastic. Rich even took out a few gunsmithing marks a made of the slide taking out the darn rear sight.

post-6178-1128966595_thumb.jpgpost-6178-1128966635_thumb.jpg

Edited by RayKu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I took a couple of pics of this thing intending to post them and then I though "what am I posting here?"

I mean really, it's a stock XD. Not much to look at.

I thought this could be my first pic I'd post - but truthfully these pictures don't do much good. Ya'll hit the Springfield website. The 5" black . . . that's what it looks like.

J