Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

List of Hollywood & Guns Done Correctly?

jkrispies

I've found that when a filmmaker "does guns correctly" I tend to really like the film.  I think it's a sign of the filmmaker not only giving a damn about research and quality, but it's probably also a sign that the filmmaker has the same interests (and maybe moral code?) as me.  I started making a list of filmmakers, series, etc., where I think they took the time and effort to do guns right-- maybe even if they aren't exactly gun people, I can appreciate the honest effort.  Unfortunately, the list is short.  It's Hollywood.  Anybody care to add to it?

Here's the start of my list, not particularly well organized:

Film maker Michael Mann (Heat, Collateral, etc.)

Film maker Keanu Reeves (we all know about his firearms training)

Film maker Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List)

Film, John Wick

Film, Zero Dark Hundred

Film, Den of Thieves

Film, Blackhawk Down

TV Series, The Punisher

TV Series, Jack Ryan (sort of)

TV Series Westworld (sort of)

If anybody adds The Walking Dead to this thread, I'm going to puke.

I liked the ending of Saving Private Ryan when Tom Hanks (Capt Miller) dispatches a

tank with his .45   …..   and then explained that it was a Tank Buster.     :) 

And, the new James Bond movies where he is no longer using a PPK in .32 caliber

to dispatch the bad guys - now he has an MP5   :) 

The recent Wyatt Earp movies were pretty good about the scene from the

OK Corral vicinity shooting - no reloads - Doc Holiday actually fired his Greener

16 gauge twice and discarded it to draw his revolver.    :) 

In "Saving Private Ryan", Capt. Miller was shooting at the tank with his pistol when the tank blew up, and he was confused about what had happened for a moment.  Then when the plane came into view overhead, he realized what had happened, and said, "Tank Busters". 

A P-51 "tank buster" had flown in from behind and destroyed the tank.  Capt. Miller realized with the air support from the P-51's, they were saved from certain defeat!  Of course, Capt. Miller himself was already dying by that time...  

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Tell that to the original tank crew.     🤣

Yeah, I hear you.  BUT, the P-51 in that movie didn't even have any rocket launchers on the wings.  If it had hit the tank with a bomb, the plane would have been far past the tank when the bomb hit.  It had to have used a rocket to have enough power to kill the tank, plus hit in front of the plane.  

I'm probably WAY over-thinking this.... LOL!  

Last man standing.   Any movie with  Thell Reed in has to be on the list.  He was doing the gun training for the movie and  there is a scene where bruce Willis was shooting everyone and the shot was looking over the guns. After bruce had left someone looked at the tape and wasn't crazy about the shot, so they  reshot it, only it is Thell Reed holding the guns. So it is just his hands for a few seconds,  but  when you are that badass, it is enough 

On 1/26/2019 at 9:35 PM, jkrispies said:

I think it's a sign of the filmmaker not only giving a damn about research and quality, but it's probably also a sign that the filmmaker has the same interests (and maybe moral code?) as me.  

Regardless. It is hard to imagine an entire cast and production crew that could be clueless about gun handling and unwilling to point out the problems. Obviously it happens, but it wouldn't seem possible if the evidence was not there.  

11 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Regardless. It is hard to imagine an entire cast and production crew that could be clueless about gun handling and unwilling to point out the problems. Obviously it happens, but it wouldn't seem possible if the evidence was not there.  

it’s extremely possible, especially when pointing out a problem can be synonymous with talking yourself out of a job. 

Edited by jkrispies

1 hour ago, Dranoel said:

Clint Eastwood- Pretty much anything he's been involved in.

I'm not sure I agree that Clint (God Love Him) was ever very 

correct with his firearms.

Dirty Harry sported a .44 magnum S&W that alternately had

a 5", 6" and 8 3/8" barrel, depending on the scene.  

And he talked

about the massive power of the .44 magnum, but once mentioned

that he shot reduced .44 Special loads.   My head hurts.     :eatdrink:

20 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm not sure I agree that Clint (God Love Him) was ever very 

correct with his firearms.

Dirty Harry sported a .44 magnum S&W that alternately had

a 5", 6" and 8 3/8" barrel, depending on the scene.  

And he talked

that he shot reduced .44 Special loads.   My head hurts.     :eatdrink:

He also used a 458 mag for a sniper rifle. I still like the shows though 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

And he talked

that he shot reduced .44 Special loads.

So if you are trying to talk somebody out of going for a gun you are going to say something like "it chronos at 800 fps with 200 grain and doesn't quite make major power factor" ?? 

Way of the Gun.   Christopher McQuarrie was the director and his brother (Navy SEAL) was the advisor for the gunfight and tactical scenes.  

LA Confidential.  I think Thell Reed was the advisor for this.

I like the foreign movies too.  Tae Guk Gi is one.  "Double Tap" is not one!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the firearm handling in Strike Back - both the original and the newer version -  is realistic. When they get in firefights they don’t have endless magazines in the weapons or a never ending supply of mags.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...