Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$2.87 Per Gallon That Is Nuts!

The California thing, I'm sure it's like this in some other states too...

Last time gas spiked here, they made this big story about Caifornai having different requirements for gas formulas, there's no pipelines form the east, all the gas has to be made here, not enough production due to a few refineries going off-line, blah-blah-blah - and that's why it's going up..

Now, everything locally is running right, there's no shortage, just higher prces, because there's a refining problem in the east.. typical.

I'm hoping that Windfall Profits Tax comes back, donate all the Billions to the Louisiana/Miss efforts.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work 40 miles north of home and my wife works 30 west of here. We can't carpool and both drive economy cars.

Local gas stations, after a 3 hour wait in line, were limiting you to either 10 gallons or $25.00 or whatever the decided at the moment

So yesterday I loaded up my truck with gas cans and a 30 gallon drum and went north. Had to drive almost 60 miles until I found a gas station that was allowing you to fill your tanks. Gas was $2.55 and about $150.00 later I was on the way home driving in the economy mode.

Between supplying my inlaws generator, my two vehicles and my son on occasion, that 50 gallons or so won't last long!!!!! :o

But we are Blessed here in Southern Alabama. Folks in Mississippi and Louisiana are so much worse off.

dj

I work 40 miles north of home and my wife works 30 west of here. We can't carpool and both drive economy cars.

Local gas stations, after a 3 hour wait in line, were limiting you to either 10 gallons or $25.00 or whatever the decided at the moment

So yesterday I loaded up my truck with gas cans and a 30 gallon drum and went north. Had to drive almost 60 miles until I found a gas station that was allowing you to fill your tanks. Gas was $2.55 and about $150.00 later I was on the way home driving in the economy mode.

Between supplying my inlaws generator, my two vehicles and my son on occasion, that 50 gallons or so won't last long!!!!! :o

But we are Blessed here in Southern Alabama. Folks in Mississippi and Louisiana are so much worse off.

dj

$2.55 a gallon?? How did you get so lucky? You're closer to the New Orleans that I am, Tampa Bay area, and gas skyrocketed to $2.99 at least, about cheapest to be found here. I think they're using some of this as a BS excuse to raise the price even higher. I know there is some kind of problem, but when cities a lot closer to New Orleans is getting gas a lot cheaper than here, somethings wrong. Here comes gouging!!

You know, I didn't even look at the price until I was almost through pumping. Not that it would have mattered.

I guess one reason prices are staying down is that they are pumping so much of it. The lines form when a tanker arrives and they dissapate when the storage tanks run dry.

Then again, they may be scared to raise the price too much.

Once again I will say we are really blessed here in Mobile. Ivan and Dennis on the east of us and Katrina to the west. We haven't been smacked dead on since 1979 when Frederic went thru. Maybe it will be another 26 years......

dj

Gas here at the Lake of the Ozarks in MO went from $2.49 on Monday to $3.09 yesterday. :angry: Most businesses are expecting a lot less people to be here for the holiday weekend. It will be interesting to see how many boats will be out on the lake.

The other day I went to the service station to fill up my truck.

When I went to pay, I realized that the only bill I had in my billfold was a $100 bill. I apologized to the attendant, not wanting to take all of his change.

I said, "I'm sorry but all I have is a $100 bill."

He replied, "That's all right, You can bring the the rest tomorrow." :blink:

Just got back from a match in OKC Filled up for $2.95 per, then the next morning it was $3.10. I have been using Okie overdrive when possible, shutting the engine off and coasting down hills. I can do that with standard transmissions and no power steering. Just met a guy comming down hill here doing the same thing today. B) rdd

Left the house in TX this morning with diesel at $2.96. Filled up in Shreveport at 2.89 - topped off when I arrived at my staging area at 2.87 - In Jackson MS. Funny it is cheaper here in the hurricane damaged area than at home in TX..??!!

The fleecing of America continues. <_<

Folks, I hate to be the one to say it. $2.87 is going to seem cheap in a couple of years. The US now has competition for oil from China and India. They have way more people than we do and their economies have developed to the point that they ain't ridin bicycles much anymore.

We have some knowledge of alternative fuels, but they have never been economic to produce, because oil has been so cheap in relation to them. Canada has enough tar sands to last us for many generations. But, processing tar sands into fuel is expensive. Same story for oil shale projects. And the US gvt has been subsidizing ethanol production for years. At 3.50 per gallon, ethanol might become viable on it's own. We have coal out the wazoo! Diesel made from coal via the Fischer-Tropsh process has been used since WWII. However, none of these has been as cheap as crude oil in US dollar terms.

Oil prices are sky rocketing because world demand is sky rocketing while production is not. Most of the cheap, easy to produce oil is gone. Now is the time to realize that cheap energy was a phase we went through in the 20th century. I'll put it in terms shooters can understand. Its time to get defensive. FWIW, get out of debt. Conserve energy. Get your financial house in order. Everything we eat, wear, and depend on to live is sensitive to the price of energy. Notice the gvt calculates inflation by leaving out the "volitle food and energy sector". This saves them a ton on COLAs. Besides, who eats or uses fuel anyway?

Get ready, the rest of the world is getting wound up to kick our economic arse. We got dependent on imported oil and that was a huge mistake. BTW, don't believe anything the Saudis say about their ability to ratchet up on demand. These are the same folks who gave us Osama Bin Laden and the World Trade Center devastation. They have been setting up to trash our economy for a long, long, time.

Folks, I hate to be the one to say it.  $2.87 is going to seem cheap in a couple of years.  The US now has competition for oil from China and India.  They have way more people than we do and their economies have developed to the point that they ain't ridin bicycles much anymore.

Heck, about 4 years ago, 93 octane was under $1/gallon in Southern NJ. I would kill for $2.87/gallon right now (which it was about 2 weeks ago), we're over $3/gallon now.

The fleecing of America continues. <_<
i've been hearing this a lot lately.

if its so easy for the energy companies to screw us, why would prices have EVER been low? accounting for inflation, gas prices in the US have only recently gone above the averages that we've had for the last 50 years. were those same energy companies, the ones that are "gouging" us today, just being nice for the past 50 years?

do the laws of supply and demand not apply to the gasoline business?

Hey Merlin,

How long are you going to be staged in Jackson?  We're shooting on the 18th if you're still around. 

John

PM sent. I will be here for a few days then off to hattiesburg for a while?? If the range is South of Jacksonville - maybe... Probably try to find some indoor night stuff to shoot for several months till I get caught up. I'm going to try to find some IDPA or USPSA night matches around Hattiesburg if possible. :D

I saw 3.19 today where I live, matter of fact I paid it. For 22 gallons about anyhow.

Whats worse is that I drive 75 miles one way to go back and forth to school every day. BTW for those that have been wondering I am working on my masters in education. I have completed 11 credits this summer with a 4.o GPA. I will be shooting some coming up.