Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nitro Fin

JPetrowski

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you need to get some heavy grit sand-paper and spend just little time with it. After you get it to fit, spend some time with some very fine sand-paper. Wet sanding with the fine sand paper works well. I've had to do this with 2 out of the 4 that I use.

I would say they are talking about the shaft that goes into the gun. It has to (1) make it through the frame hole and (2) be small enough not to catch up on the barrel link or anything else inside. With some sand paper and a little time it will be perfect. Also, the detent that was mentioned is important.  Some shooters can push it up enough to make it go into slide lock while shooting freestyle and also weak hand. 

1 hour ago, Posvar said:

I would say they are talking about the shaft that goes into the gun. It has to (1) make it through the frame hole and (2) be small enough not to catch up on the barrel link or anything else inside. With some sand paper and a little time it will be perfect. Also, the detent that was mentioned is important.  Some shooters can push it up enough to make it go into slide lock while shooting freestyle and also weak hand. 

Indeed...when shooting weak hand it would actuate and lock the slide back...the detent is necessary .  

4 hours ago, Posvar said:

Yep. It happened to me in a classifier and ended up zeroing it. Wasn’t pleased at myself for not getting it corrected sooner. I think the 2.0 has a small detent already. 

Yeah i saw that the 2nd generation comes with the detent pre-drilled.  It was  good idea for them to do that.  

On the Nitro Fin website it mentions that there is a possibility that some of the rearmost portion may interfere with part of the frame, if the pin fits and is thru the link I'd suggest taking a close look at the fit around the frame.  That might cause not being able to release the slide properly.

I had the same issue. I was new to 2011/1911s and after I installed the new Nitro Fin the slide would bind and not go fully forward into battery.  It turns out that the barrel lockup is very sensitive to the slide lock pin diameter. Even if the diameter of the pin was off by 1 or 2 thousandths it would bind. After I sanded the diameter down to exactly the same diameter as the old slide lock pin it worked perfectly. What worked well for me was holding the NitroFin in a vice and using a thin strip of sandpaper that I could work back and forth to remove material slowly. The vice helped so I could apply some pressure with the sandpaper.

pin_1.JPG

pin_2.JPG

Edited by joshbracken

Take the slide off and see if the Fin drags on the frame anywhere.  Also does it have the depression for the pin to catch,  the later models come with that and it's possible that has something to do with your problem.  It's easier to see any hang-ups with the frame with the slide removed.

PLEASE READ: Check your current slide lock for pin size.  Use caution test fitting it before test firing at the range.  The Nitro Fin by design fits close inside the slide lock relief of the frame, some gun smith work may be required.

The Pin size is 0.199

Slide lock does lock the slide back manually, but does not automatically on the last round. (Top Level Gunsmith Feature)

I recommend you drill your own detent due to some firearm manufacturers not having the plunger pin in the same locations. (EX: Older Para and Caspian setups).  Creating this detent will lock down the slide lock from ever being engauged on accedent, but I have no report of this happening... it's just good insurance.

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: SPEED SHOOTERS INTERNATIONAL is stocking this item and can handle the export.

Copied from Mfr.

Yea. Found it dragging on the frame in several places. Sanded them all down and still a no go. I’m sure there is some place I’m not seeing. Guess I’ll try to find someone local that knows more than I do (won’t be hard). I just don’t want to mess up this one and have to buy another. 

• 3 months later...

I had to widen channel where the slide goes front to back. It would drag and slow the slide down. Where the slide stop goes through the frame between the outside and the contoured partaba04902000933175bea06dcc699f1cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk