Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nitro Fin

JPetrowski

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posts like this make me glad that I had 4 little holes put in my frame to have a gogun *thumb rest [generic]*. No issues whatsoever. Had the old nitrofin and it gave me issues. Supposedly the newer one is better?

• 1 month later...

Im going to have to do some fitting on mine for sure.  My slide will go forward into battery, but is a bitch to pull back and hangs up quite a bit.  Is it going to need widening in the notch or all over?  The pictures are helpful, but dont do it justice in where it may be hanging up for me.  

I would use dykem or a marker and coat the area in question. Rack the slide a few times and check to see where it is making contact.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you mark the contact area that the safety detent meets with nitro fin , marker, or dykem. And install you can move the nitro fin into place a few times and the mark that it makes should be the spot. Does that make since?

Also this is where you would apply marker or dykem to see where the safety detent makes contact. Then you can settle on the position of detent.

• 1 month later...

Been working on fitting my Nitro Fin in my STI Edge and while the pin goes in freely, and i've removed some material from the channel, it still has a bit of hangup when pulling back the slide.  It's really only when the slide is first moving and unlocking the barrel.  After that it moves freely and smoothly to the rearmost position and back into battery.  Any ideas on where material would need to be removed in order to make the unlocking and initial slide racking more smooth?  Think the overall circumference of the pin is too large?  Open to ideas.  Shooting a match on Sunday and was going to give it a try, but i will likely hold off.  I was thinking about just shooting it with the slight hickup in the slide, assuming that it would work itself out, but i certainly dont want to chance breaking anything when the pistol runs perfectly otherwise.  Thoughts? 

I would check the pin diameter and compare to original. If the pins are like in diameter I would use dykem to try to pinpoint further.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If it is riding the lower lugs or starting uneven I believe so. I am not a Smith just trying to share what I have had to do in the past.

8 minutes ago, kk4364 said:

If it is riding the lower lugs or starting uneven I believe so. I am not a Smith just trying to share what I have had to do in the past.

Short of just working it with a file or some sandpaper, is there a good way to remove material from the pin without making it uneven?

16 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Would a pin that is slightly too large in diameter cause this issue with resistance in racking the slide only at the beginning when the slide is coming out of battery?  

Yes.On mine, the middle of the pin's diameter is slihtly small than the ends. This way there's clearance for the barrel lug, but it's a snug fit in the slide.

The way I reduced the inner part of the pin is using one of 2 ways. Using a dremmel with a very worn sanding drum, I just keep going around the middle of the pin until there's no resistance. The other way is put the end of the pin in a variable drill, and at lower speed using fine sandpaper, work the middle of the pin until you get the clearance needed. This way is more even, but the spinning nitro fin does make for a challenging task.