Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Accu Shadow for CO - Direct Mount or Plates?

Ken6PPC

I am considering having my SP-01 Shadow milled for optics, and I am looking for opinions.  Should I have it milled by CZC with mounting plates, or milled for direct mounting? 

I know it can be a little lower to the bore if I have it directly mounted, but how much advantage is this really?  

It would be nice to be able to switch a plate and go back to iron sights with the plates...  

What say the experts?  

Thanks in advance for any replies!  

I have not seen anyone with this done.  But if I had only one rig to shoot and definitely didn't see myself buying a dedicated production setup, then yes I would go with the plate.  If in the future I thought I'd get a new production rig then I'd just mill right down.  

I do have other pistols, including a second SP-01 AccuShadow and a Shadow 2.  

Forgot to add that I would probably shoot this primarily in IDPA.  

I could buy another complete pistol, if that is a better option.  I had rather not go that way though, unless there is a big advantage to doing so.  

Wish they would release the S2 Optic version here in the US, and it would make IDPA CO weight...  Yeah, I know it isn't released here yet and it doesn't make weight.  

You may want to consider this setup , which I think is what you were thinking. I was going to mill my Shadow2, but decided to go a different way. Here is a picture of a Accu-Shadow with a plate and a 6moa Venom. This is a great setup. As you can see, it comes in at 43.55oz. and really holsters well. I was originally going to have it milled. But after I got it, decided that it was just to nice to start cutting thing up. I love this setup and I can go back to stock if I want to. Just my .02  JD

20190127_102206.jpg

Edited by JDIllon

On 1/27/2019 at 3:27 PM, JDIllon said:

You may want to consider this setup , which I think is what you were thinking. I was going to mill my Shadow2, but decided to go a different way. Here is a picture of a Accu-Shadow with a plate and a 6moa Venom. This is a great setup. As you can see, it comes in at 43.55oz. and really holsters well. I was originally going to have it milled. But after I got it, decided that it was just to nice to start cutting thing up. I love this setup and I can go back to stock if I want to. Just my .02  JD

20190127_102206.jpg

I have this same setup that uses the dovetail plate from CZC.  Plan to use this to try out CO but I fully expect that I will end up with a milled slide (with plates)  if I decide to compete in CO.  I will go with plates so that I will have the option to change optics.  New optics are coming out yearly and I would want to flexibility to change.

On my SP-01, I had CZC mill the slide, and bought the two plates I needed, one for the optic, and one to move back to production. All you need to do is unscrew the two plate screws, push out and extractor pin from the slide, and the change is complete. The fit is absolutely right on the money, there is no extra play between mounts.

On 2/3/2019 at 12:53 AM, MoRivera said:

I just sent a spare regular Shadow frame to be milled specifically for my Venom.  With this I can switch it out on my Shadow for CO in IDPA and USPSA, but also on my longslide which I use for plates/steel.

I meant Shadow slide, not frame.  Can't edit that post now. 😑

• 2 weeks later...

Had my Shadow milled and plate from CZC. I like having the ability to go back and forth if I desire. The cut is deep, and that allows my to actually co-witness with the front sight and the little marks on the back of my Vortex Venom that act as a rear sight. Handy. Plus if i decide to go with another optic, I just change out the plate! 

• 3 months later...

I have a CZC plate system for my CO setup, helped to have plate as the Romeo1 optic I first used broke quickly, as did the 2nd Romeo1, them changed plates and now use a Trijicon. With no further issues.  So, plates let you choose different red dots to try.   I sent off my new backup gun to be millled just fpr the Trijicon, as no plate allows for deeper mounting screw engagement for that optic.  The plate system is ok, but only few threads of screw engagement for the optic, so if my red Loctite did not hold well, then optic would loosen and then rattle and die, along with not being able to finish that stage well.  “Permanent” Loctitie worked, can still remove it from plate since only few screw thread engaged, but dedicated milled slide for that optic will hold better (snug fit front to back) once I dedicate to that optic for my 2nd backup gun.  Downside is that I now want to use the larger window Trijicon SRO perhaps which may not have the same mounting as the RMR, so milled slide may not work ,but plate system on other gun always provides options.  Milled slide can be lower than plates, but that is less of an issue once you practice enough, as I don’t need iron sights now for reference.

I got my S2 milled by CZC with the swappable plates and I'm glad I did, I've gone through 2 different optics already and now I am waiting for the SRO to be released

and I will be mounting one of those on it.

I have two CZ slides that are milled for vortex venoms. I like how low the sight fits in the slide. It makes picking up the dot easy. I also have a canik TP9SFX and a XDM OSP that uses plates to mount the dots. They are nice but the CZs are better with the RDS sitting deeper in the slide. As a side note the burris fastfire fits the same pocket as the venom.

32 minutes ago, Stoneface86 said:

Can anyone recommend a shop that’s does a good milling job without breaking the bank

I had Primary Machine mill my CZ Pre-B slide for a Vortex Venom, and I am very happy with it.  It looks and works great!  I am using the milled Pre-B slide on my Shadow for now.  Primary Machine CZ Slide Milling

Although it is a more expensive option, my Shadow slide is currently at CZ Custom to be milled for their RDS plate system.  CZ Custom RDS Slide Milling  I'm sure I will be happy with it as well, plus I will be able to change plates if I decide later I want a different brand of optic, or even go back to iron sights if I choose.  

(Links are live...)