Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI 170 mm capacity in 9mm

dvc4you

Short inquiry:

How many rounds of 9mm can you get in an SVI big stick reloadable? Using which internals and basepads? SVI Signature or old style magazine? What lip dimensions? I have been told .345 in back and .355 in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@dvc4you I sure was thinking about a bigger capacity mag on that 26 round unloaded start stage last Saturday. With only 28 in the mag and long shots I wasn’t sure what would happen. No make ups made everything ok and there was opportunity for a reload in there but was still thinking about it as Aric had an extra round to play with.

[mention=3555]dvc4you[/mention] I sure was thinking about a bigger capacity mag on that 26 round unloaded start stage last Saturday. With only 28 in the mag and long shots I wasn’t sure what would happen. No make ups made everything ok and there was opportunity for a reload in there but was still thinking about it as Aric had an extra round to play with.

I think he had an extra round because he was running 38SC, thus my question regarding 9mm

9 minutes ago, dvc4you said:

I think he had an extra round because he was running 38SC, thus my question regarding 9mm

I’m curious as to how he could get an extra round with 38sc over 9mm? 

14 hours ago, dvc4you said:

Short inquiry:

How many rounds of 9mm can you get in an SVI big stick reloadable? Using which internals and basepads? SVI Signature or old style magazine? What lip dimensions? I have been told .345 in back and .355 in the front.

Don't try to use STI feed lip specs on a SV mag. If you look at the mags you will see the SVI lips have a different shape. The old style SV mags are tough as nails and the feed lips don't bend often. I like Grams springs and followers. The .38 Super follower works for 9mm also. Dawson or TTI base pads. Others will also work but use a mag gauge as the wrong base oad can put you over.

Don't try to use STI feed lip specs on a SV mag. If you look at the mags you will see the SVI lips have a different shape. The old style SV mags are tough as nails and the feed lips don't bend often. I like Grams springs and followers. The .38 Super follower works for 9mm also. Dawson or TTI base pads. Others will also work but use a mag gauge as the wrong base oad can put you over.

What are the SV magazines lips specs?

1 hour ago, dvc4you said:

What are the SV magazines lips specs?

Sorry, I'm out of town and don't have my dial calipers. I recall something like .330 but maybe someone else here can measure theirs.

I never understood the reason for this competition to jam in as many rounds as possible.  Pretty much every stage will have a convenient reload point.  I usually load one less round, to get an extra margin of feeding reliability.  So my new SVI tubes usually get 28 rounds of 9mm, with some nice give. 

Hello: You are correct there is usually a place to do a reload unless it is a 30 round hoser stage and you can start with 31. I find I am actually using 140mm mags more and more with longer base pads giving 24-27 rounds. I know some who have gone to all big sticks with thin base pads as well. Thanks, Eric

I never understood the reason for this competition to jam in as many rounds as possible.  Pretty much every stage will have a convenient reload point.  I usually load one less round, to get an extra margin of feeding reliability.  So my new SVI tubes usually get 28 rounds of 9mm, with some nice give. 

Unloaded start with very little movement, 26 rounds would you rather start with 28 or 29?

For unloaded start I prefer the magazine that does not take much effort to insert.  I had seen enough, and have done it myself, the situations where you insert the magazine, rack the slide and the mag falls out. 

I just received 2 brand new SVI mags, with svi guts, and 1mm base pads.  ( tuned by sv, and fit gauge ) I was going to do it for me, but I will post later all the spec's on new tubes.. I was then going to tune my other SV mags to these spec's.

I just received 2 brand new SVI 170 mag's, and the dimensions kinda surprises me.  For STI mags, dawson recommends .355 for back and .360 for front feed lips.   I put a mic. to the SVI mags and they were set solid at .330 front and back. Function tested and the feed in 4 different guns no problem. Loaded to capacity at got  a solid 29, no more. I've come to the reality that that will have to be enough.  STI you get 28,  SVI you get 29.