Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Compensator

WarBoom

Hey guys!

First post here and I'm sure it has been asked before but I searched to no avail.

I am converting and older(serial# 54) but unused Caspian 38S/SC open gun to 9mm major.

It originally had a Bar-Sto barrel, no popple holes, with a full length cone and a 3 port comp with six ~3/8" side holes made by the smith.

I just cant afford to compete and practice with 38SC.

I've ordered a 355 KKM bull barrel but I'm not sure what compensator to buy.

I plan on using 124-125gr jhp over either CFE or 3N38.

So, what would be a good comp to use? How many holes or chambers?

Thanks.

caspian1.jpeg

Edited by WarBoom

Lots of guys run the Cheely and also [mention=9254]Aircooled6racer[/mention] makes one as well 

The cheely 5 port is one that I’ve been looking at. My deltapoint mount is one of his undrilled models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the OP I'll be the guy that says it probably doesnt matter that much. Choose a comp that you like the concept behind and run with it.

Logic says that if one comp is truly "better" then all comps would be basically the same, but they are not so you can have to come to one of two conclusions, either lots of people are selling crap comps to people that are happily using them succsefully or most comps are close enough in performance that it doesnt matter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Separate issue from your original post, but are you confident the mags will work reliably in 9mm?  

They run 38SC just fine. I know 9mm is a bit shorter but I hope I won’t have any issues.

For the OP I'll be the guy that says it probably doesnt matter that much. Choose a comp that you like the concept behind and run with it.

Logic says that if one comp is truly "better" then all comps would be basically the same, but they are not so you can have to come to one of two conclusions, either lots of people are selling crap comps to people that are happily using them succsefully or most comps are close enough in performance that it doesnt matter.

I ask because the comp on the gun wasn’t built with major loads in mind. It would lock the gun in battery with anything approaching major speeds. We drilled the side ports to relieve some pressure to allow the gun to function.
I just want to make sure it works.

Running a Cheely 5 ti comp no barrel holes works good but so does my 4 port EGW.  I have tried dozens of comps and it all comes down to getting one and getting used to it and practicing because they all work about the same just depends on the what the individual likes. I personally do not like the heavy comps I cant seem to transition the gun as well.

Running a Cheely 5 ti comp no barrel holes works good but so does my 4 port EGW.  I have tried dozens of comps and it all comes down to getting one and getting used to it and practicing because they all work about the same just depends on the what the individual likes. I personally do not like the heavy comps I cant seem to transition the gun as well.

A Ti Cheely is definitely on the short list. Maybe a Brazos.

5 minutes ago, WarBoom said:

A Ti Cheely is definitely on the short list.

Agreed! Anything Matt puts out is just as good or better than anything on the market.

I ask because the comp on the gun wasn’t built with major loads in mind. It would lock the gun in battery with anything approaching major speeds. We drilled the side ports to relieve some pressure to allow the gun to function.
I just want to make sure it works.

The comp on the gun has 3 decent sized up ports plus the side ports you added. 3 up ports is plenty good for anything we do. Anything keeping it from running major with that comp prior to (or after) drilling the side ports had to do with fitting or springs.

The comp on the gun has 3 decent sized up ports plus the side ports you added. 3 up ports is plenty good for anything we do. Anything keeping it from running major with that comp prior to (or after) drilling the side ports had to do with fitting or springs.

You would think so. It would run just fine with a light load but a major load it would never leave battery. With the comp off it would run just fine with any load. It appeared to have so much downward pressure on the barrel that it would never leave lockup. That was with a varied combo of springs lightest being a 6# slide and a 14# hammer. Slowly increasing the side holes allowed it to come farther and farther out of battery until it started running. It now has a 10# slide and a 20# hammer.

Here is a picture of Eric's comp.59087d9b36ec2_EricsComp.jpg.05929b4aa069519eeaf33cb78a180181.jpg

One of the advantages, IMO, is the ports are well forward in the blank.  That allows you to add poppels in the rear of the comp rather than in the barrel.

3 hours ago, WarBoom said:

You would think so. It would run just fine with a light load but a major load it would never leave battery. With the comp off it would run just fine with any load. It appeared to have so much downward pressure on the barrel that it would never leave lockup. That was with a varied combo of springs lightest being a 6# slide and a 14# hammer. Slowly increasing the side holes allowed it to come farther and farther out of battery until it started running. It now has a 10# slide and a 20# hammer.

I don't doubt that there was a issue, I would strongly suspect there was a fitment issue of some causing the problems.  Most likely some sort of binding  due to the comp movement.

19 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I don't doubt that there was a issue, I would strongly suspect there was a fitment issue of some causing the problems.  Most likely some sort of binding  due to the comp movement.

Suggest getting it to someone who knows open guns and get it checked out for BBL lock up and comp clearance.

Suggest getting it to someone who knows open guns and get it checked out for BBL lock up and comp clearance.

Someone who does know open guns and has built plenty was the smith who looked at it and figured out the issue. .020 gap for the comp and .048 lockup were right on the money apparently. Center hits on the primers as well. Gun would hand cycle fine when pushed against a wall.
He thought it had to be a binding issue as well. All the internals were polished to a mirror to no avail and then shot with marking paint on surfaces with no sign of any binding.

Ok.seemed unusual that it would run with minor but lock up with major.

Less gas pressure from what he said. It didn’t lockup per-say, it just never tried to leave battery.

23 minutes ago, WarBoom said:

Less gas pressure from what he said. It didn’t lockup per-say, it just never tried to leave battery.

Sounds like a timing issue to me.