Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research single stack

AF2010

Anyone have one of their guns? I cant seem to find anything at all out there about them. I understand Tripp was the founder of STI so they obviously know what theyre doing.

If anyone has a gun from them and wouldnt mind posting pictures, it would really help me make a decision.

Thanks

I have one.  Had it for about a year.  I have a 9mm and a 40S&W top end.  

Very tight with zero failures in any accord.

Virgil does a great job with fitment and will accommodate various requests.

Tripp 1911 small.jpg

Edited by RGC

18 hours ago, RGC said:

Tripp 1911 small.jpg

Looks great! Just what I needed since the pics on tripps website dont do it justice IMHO

I have been in communication with them and find that they have pretty competitive prices and are very helpful but Im Still undecided about dropping the cash on  a Tripp gun or a budget gun like a used Trojan worked over by Tripp and then use the savings for a significant amount of ammo

Yea, Im definitely leaning more that way But mostly because I just like nice things... not sure if I Will actually gain much as far as shooting goes with a gun in that price range and my current skill level.

Were the Trojans typically problematic for you?

No, for the most part they were plenty accurate for the game.  I replaced all with EGW and SV parts, and had my triggers at 2lb breaks.  

Cast frames were no issue vs Forged for me...and I think the fatigue worrying is just not reality.  

The front strap serrations on the Tripp are pronounced and the Trojan has chainlink only...of which I added grip tape.  The Tripp has the highest trigger guard undercut that I have felt, and a square trigger guard (if you grip that way).  Tripp feels more robust and heavier in the hand but well balanced.  Both my Trojan builds and Tripp come under the 43oz USPSA SS requirement...albeit the Tripp was by 1/2 oz while the Trojans were by 2 ounces.

Can't go wrong with either...BUT, after I replaced all parts in the Trojans, including full length guide rod, ambi thumb safety, etc, the Trojan was 1200-1400 plus 600 in parts....that should make your decision easier.  

14 hours ago, RGC said:

No, for the most part they were plenty accurate for the game.  I replaced all with EGW and SV parts, and had my triggers at 2lb breaks.  

Cast frames were no issue vs Forged for me...and I think the fatigue worrying is just not reality.  

The front strap serrations on the Tripp are pronounced and the Trojan has chainlink only...of which I added grip tape.  The Tripp has the highest trigger guard undercut that I have felt, and a square trigger guard (if you grip that way).  Tripp feels more robust and heavier in the hand but well balanced.  Both my Trojan builds and Tripp come under the 43oz USPSA SS requirement...albeit the Tripp was by 1/2 oz while the Trojans were by 2 ounces.

Can't go wrong with either...BUT, after I replaced all parts in the Trojans, including full length guide rod, ambi thumb safety, etc, the Trojan was 1200-1400 plus 600 in parts....that should make your decision easier.  

Thanks for all that. Definitely makes it easier to hear from someone thats been there, done that. Also, I was just informed by STI that if I purchase a used Trojan, it would still be covered under warranty. Im going with the Trojan. Will purchase a Tripp gun next year maybe

In conversation with Aaron Tripp this week on a 40 build.

Excited as it is already in the works and seems I'll be getting it with in a week or two.  They were building a couple of guns for stock and all they a had to do was make some minor alterations to make it MINE! 

The pricing compared to other well known builders is better by a lot.

I own Bedell open guns, Akai limited guns etc.  

So I'm pumped to get the 1911 from Tripp, Plus I lived for 20 years just west of them so know them and the area.

I'll report back as I finalize and get the pistol.

Only thing now is with the new rules change; gotta make a bracket for a drop on the holsters.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

In conversation with Aaron Tripp this week on a 40 build.

Excited as it is already in the works and seems I'll be getting it with in a week or two.  They were building a couple of guns for stock and all they a had to do was make some minor alterations to make it MINE! 

The pricing compared to other well known builders is better by a lot.

I own Bedell open guns, Akai limited guns etc.  

So I'm pumped to get the 1911 from Tripp, Plus I lived for 20 years just west of them so know them and the area.

I'll report back as I finalize and get the pistol.

Only thing now is with the new rules change; gotta make a bracket for a drop on the holsters.

Great choice!

• 1 year later...

I have a Tripp 38 super race gun with what I think is a very low serial # and want to know if there is any way to find out the history of this gun. Do the new STI mags run in them? It seams I can't find any original new STI mags these days. I have been shooting this gun for about 20 years now and its a great gun but I need to get it refinished

I have had one for a number of years. 
It is not an STI!
I had numerous phone calls with him. Good guy. I sent him parts and he built and chromed it. 
Plenty of positive things to say about him.

On the downside, I wanted bright sides and got polished instead. My fault, I probably was not clear. I supplied a Brown Hi Rise grip safety and he put on a Wilson (Wilson frame and Caspien Slide). He didn’t want to fit the Brown. 😔. The lug broke on the Kart barrel. He offered to replace and fit it. I used Kodiak Precision instead. 

I probably have 18 of his mags. Two would not work in my SV.  I marked them in red to show the binding points. His staff said they ‘were in spec.’  They would not warranty them. That’s ok, they work in my other guns. 

The gun was gnats ass accurate and totally reliable until the barrel issue. It still is. 

Being in AZ I have access to some great builders that if needed I would go to them because I know them and can see them up close and personal.  

I was in WA when I ordered the TRIPP. He has good customer service. 

22 hours ago, outlawgoose said:

Well I see they now have gen1 and several other types and all the gen1 mags have been close outs .Will all varies types fit?

For 9/38 stick with the Gen2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 10:28 PM, RGC said:

Tripp 1911 small.jpg

That is a single stack right?