Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Stroking a regular JP 9mm SCS?

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

JP will be offering a short stroke kit for those very soon.  I'm actually disappointed they haven't already.  But I was told by JP's LE rep they are coming......

Figures they are releasing one after I bought a full short stroke kit instead of my 4 weight scs

That's what I did with an Armaspec stealth. 

I cut down a Delrin rod (Helpful hint, just cut a section off of the spacer that came in your JP kit) and drilled a hole large enough for the guide rod AND spring to pass through (unless you also want to up your spring rate). I cut it long and sanded it down until I had it where I liked it. Total cost: $0

21 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

That's what I did with an Armaspec stealth. 

I cut down a Delrin rod (Helpful hint, just cut a section off of the spacer that came in your JP kit) and drilled a hole large enough for the guide rod AND spring to pass through (unless you also want to up your spring rate). I cut it long and sanded it down until I had it where I liked it. Total cost: $0

I was thinking about doing the same thing .

7 hours ago, CookieTheSwede said:

How is that working for you?  I thought about putting a spacer where you have the wave springs.  Maybe I’ll put a wave spring between them. 🤔

Wave spring is the way to go.  Shortens the stroke while also reducing the recoil impulse then getting the weight back moving forward as quickly as possible.  

FB_IMG_1510699961906.jpg

I have more than a few aluminum slide 4 cariers that blew the ring land off and the SCS blew apart from people trying to short stroke them....

I would try the two steel and two tungsten weights (mentioned above) with a wave spring under a shortened stock spacer and a 105 spring, or my favorite 4 tungsten weights and a 105 (red/blue) spring.

My favorite of all of them is a steel slide 5 (the short stroke 5 weight) with all steel weights with a 100 (308) spring and a wave spring at the back of the stock with a delrin plug trimmed between the wave spring and SCS.  The 5 tungsten weights "felt" slow to me even with 115's. 

Edited by Hallz
7 hours ago, andrewt556 said:

So is short stroking a scs a good idea?

I know one person that has got away with it,... but I personally know 4 that have failed short stroking an aluminum slide.

If anything try replacing all steel weights with Tungsten and maybe   One (105) spring weight down,... possibly 2 (the 308 #100).

Nothing wrong with shortening the spacer  (if you use one) and putting it between the SCS and spacer.

I do like the Short Stroke SCS tuned to your load, rifle and liking. I run mine with all steel weights and the 100 spring. Works great in my particular set up. 

Maybe you can wait till JP offers the kit to go from a gen2 SCS to the Short Stroke. 

78EB9C64-3C0C-4D68-8A55-658D0CF2400D.png

Edited by Hallz
19 hours ago, Hallz said:

I know one person that has got away with it,... but I personally know 4 that have failed short stroking an aluminum slide.

If anything try replacing all steel weights with Tungsten and maybe   One (105) spring weight down,... possibly 2 (the 308 #100).

Nothing wrong with shortening the spacer  (if you use one) and putting it between the SCS and spacer.

I do like the Short Stroke SCS tuned to your load, rifle and liking. I run mine with all steel weights and the 100 spring. Works great in my particular set up. 

Maybe you can wait till JP offers the kit to go from a gen2 SCS to the Short Stroke. 

78EB9C64-3C0C-4D68-8A55-658D0CF2400D.png

1 out of 5 is pretty bad so  I guess Ill keep it stock

Just to be clear, my factory JP short stroke systems show extremely minimal wear after several thousand rounds on each. I have only had them for a month or so but they are wearing similar to other SCS systems which is to say hardly noticable. 

I understand some folks enjoy tinkering. That's definitely cool. For those that want to purchase a complete product the JP short stroke SCS is rock solid and will put up with more abuse than most will inflict in multiple seasons. 

On 12/31/2018 at 5:21 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

Just to be clear, my factory JP short stroke systems show extremely minimal wear after several thousand rounds on each. I have only had them for a month or so but they are wearing similar to other SCS systems which is to say hardly noticable. 

I understand some folks enjoy tinkering. That's definitely cool. For those that want to purchase a complete product the JP short stroke SCS is rock solid and will put up with more abuse than most will inflict in multiple seasons. 

Absolutely!!!!

• 4 months later...

I have the SCS enhaced 9mm version. 2 tungsten och 3 steel with thin spacer in the back. Should I short stroke it with a JP buffer sold here (https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS2-MAINT-K15) or should I get a wave spring? Or an other spacer? Maybe any polymer washer is ok behind the tin jp buffer? The thin buffer is 19mm shorter then the buffer in my regular jp scs.

Thanks from a n00b.

19 hours ago, Karre said:

I have the SCS enhaced 9mm version. 2 tungsten och 3 steel with thin spacer in the back. Should I short stroke it with a JP buffer sold here (https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS2-MAINT-K15) or should I get a wave spring? Or an other spacer? Maybe any polymer washer is ok behind the tin jp buffer? The thin buffer is 19mm shorter then the buffer in my regular jp scs.

Thanks from a n00b.

Order the kit and use the supplied buffer to short stroke it. I did it, works great. 

Having just ordered my first jp (still waiting) I'm trying to learn about the different scs and ss systems. I thought the 5 weight systems WERE short stroke, and you could play with the tungsten/steel combos to vary how short it was.

It would be nice if there were some sort of diagram explaining the history/evolution of the different jp systems over time.

28 minutes ago, egd5 said:

Having just ordered my first jp (still waiting) I'm trying to learn about the different scs and ss systems. I thought the 5 weight systems WERE short stroke, and you could play with the tungsten/steel combos to vary how short it was.

It would be nice if there were some sort of diagram explaining the history/evolution of the different jp systems over time.

Here you go sir! If you selected the "Enhanced" 9mm (JPSCS2-9MM-5H2) you can swap the bumper to the one shown in this link to make it a Short Stroke (JPSCS2-9MM-SS). 

Ooooorrrr you can call in / email and double check your order 🍻. Short Stroke is the way to go. 

Buffers.png