Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Stroking a regular JP 9mm SCS?

Thanks for the diagrams. I ordered scs2-9ss-5 according to the order form. 5 steel. I assume that's the bottom one in the diagram. I don't know what the different end pieces do though.

1 hour ago, egd5 said:

Thanks for the diagrams. I ordered scs2-9ss-5 according to the order form. 5 steel. I assume that's the bottom one in the diagram. I don't know what the different end pieces do though.

Yep, that will be the Short Stroke with 5 steel weights. It's a solid choice for a very fast, soft cycle. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2019 at 8:53 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

Yep, that will be the Short Stroke with 5 steel weights. It's a solid choice for a very fast, soft cycle. 

Why did you choose the 5 steel weights over 5 tungsten or a combo of tungsten and steel? I am trying to tune a JP GMR-15 with a short stroke system. I have 5 tungsten and the uncolored spring installed now. I have tried numerous combos of springs and weights but I do not have an all steel option ( and now I’m wondering if I need to buy 3 more steel]. As it stands now the gun shoots flat enough and the recoil is light enough with my homegrown, but... like everyone else I’m always looking for just a little bit flatter and a little softer recoil. I have a factory stock leadstar pcc which came with a blitzkrieg kynshot buffer and an AR 10 spring. It is a soft shooter and has served me well in steel challenge matches. But the JP “fits” me better so I’m giving it a try. Thanks

The tuning process with weights need to take into account the PF of the load you're shooting also. There has to be a balance there and that is the tricky part. The way I understand it is the lighter the load -the lighter the buffer weight should be, generally speaking.

My load was/is about 133PF, that's why I went with 5 steel. It has worked pretty good I think. HOWEVER, a few weeks ago a friend tried 4 steel and 1 tungston and said it made a difference. We're about the same PF. I tried it and it really has made a difference in mine too. The dot barely moves when I do my part and keep it against my shoulder.

It's all about balancing your buffer with the load you're shooting.

4 hours ago, DPA said:

Why did you choose the 5 steel weights over 5 tungsten or a combo of tungsten and steel? I am trying to tune a JP GMR-15 with a short stroke system. I have 5 tungsten and the uncolored spring installed now. I have tried numerous combos of springs and weights but I do not have an all steel option ( and now I’m wondering if I need to buy 3 more steel]. As it stands now the gun shoots flat enough and the recoil is light enough with my homegrown, but... like everyone else I’m always looking for just a little bit flatter and a little softer recoil. I have a factory stock leadstar pcc which came with a blitzkrieg kynshot buffer and an AR 10 spring. It is a soft shooter and has served me well in steel challenge matches. But the JP “fits” me better so I’m giving it a try. Thanks

5 Steel Weights gave me the least dot movement with the fastest cycle. 

18 hours ago, egd5 said:

The tuning process with weights need to take into account the PF of the load you're shooting also. There has to be a balance there and that is the tricky part. The way I understand it is the lighter the load -the lighter the buffer weight should be, generally speaking.

My load was/is about 133PF, that's why I went with 5 steel. It has worked pretty good I think. HOWEVER, a few weeks ago a friend tried 4 steel and 1 tungston and said it made a difference. We're about the same PF. I tried it and it really has made a difference in mine too. The dot barely moves when I do my part and keep it against my shoulder.

It's all about balancing your buffer with the load you're shooting.

Do you recall which spring you are using?

Edited by DPA