Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mbx lightweight barrel

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bullet56A said:

Sounds like several have been sold. 

Busy time of year but I’d like to hear from others as to how they group at 25 & 50 yards. 

It looks great and the weight makes it a winner if it’ll hold a pattern. 

i agree.  it is a great looking barrel.  the weight is pretty freaking awesome.

Mine just does not hold a grouping worth anything.

Hopefully just a few of us got a bad batch and the rest are okay.

Edited by blckout
10 hours ago, blckout said:

i agree.  it is a great looking barrel.  the weight is pretty freaking awesome.

Mine just does not hold a grouping worth anything.

Hopefully just a few of us got a bad batch and the rest are okay.

I sent mine back. 

I’m waiting to hear from MBX 

Unfortunately mine is one of the ones that won’t hold a group. 

4-6 inches at 25 yards. 

Sure hope he finds the problem. 

I really want it to work. 

1 hour ago, BurdDawg69 said:

Hello my name is David Struckoff, I work at MBX. We received the barrel and did our own accuracy testing with multiple different handloads and factory ammo purchased from Wal-Mart. The pictures below are targets we shot with Bullet56A(Rick Craig) barrel off a simple rifle rest at 24 yards. 

Thank you 

David Struckoff 

20181220_120003.png

Hey David, can you tell me some specifics about the build you used to test?  

What bolt, handguard, and upper? 

Hey David, can you tell me some specifics about the build you used to test?  

What bolt, handguard, and upper? 
To follow on with this any tips on loads that you guys have seen work well in these barrels? Bullet weight, jacketed vs coated, power factor, ect

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have tested my guns at 50 yards. No bullet with a short bearing surface groups well out of a carbine length barrel. 147's do very well. 

I put a 20x Leupold on my carbine with the mbx barrel. I got mine before there was a light and medium so I'm not sure which it is. my 50 yard groups with 147 go into a half dollar size hole. 

I'm working to upload a picture.

8 minutes ago, ericskennard said:

I have tested my guns at 50 yards. No bullet with a short bearing surface groups well out of a carbine length barrel. 147's do very well. 

I put a 20x Leupold on my carbine with the mbx barrel. I got mine before there was a light and medium so I'm not sure which it is. my 50 yard groups with 147 go into a half dollar size hole. 

Thanks for the post. You have the medium weight barrel like I have. It shoots well just like yours. I bought mine also before there was two types. 

1 hour ago, ericskennard said:

That's an interesting thought on this....so with less bearing surface and the 9mm in particular, do you think that the bullet may drag/skew a bit in the barrel after the 10 or so inches in which it's burnt all its powder?

If that barrel.shot like that for them with a variety of loads and could do no better than 4" for you I would stop thinking bullet voodoo and look at your optic. If it only shot with some special pet handload of there's then maybe a picky barrel but with that many factory loads shooting well its got to be in your setup. 

52 minutes ago, JsK said:

If that barrel.shot like that for them with a variety of loads and could do no better than 4" for you I would stop thinking bullet voodoo and look at your optic. If it only shot with some special pet handload of there's then maybe a picky barrel but with that many factory loads shooting well its got to be in your setup. 

I pulled the MBX barrel off and replaced it with my original one to check and make sure it wasn’t the Cmore or the upper. It shot fine... about an inch at 25yds with the same 125gr Blue Bullet  & 115gr Montana Gold. 

Installation went smoothly on all accounts. 

If it’ll produce groups as shown with that  ammo I’m good with feeding it whatever it takes to make it work. 

21 hours ago, ericskennard said:

Are you asserting that accuracy at distance through a 16” 9mm barrel requires a heavy 9mm bullet?

If so, I’m going to respond that you’re incorrect here. And offer match results from top shooters running PCCs in matches with lots of 25-100yd shooting to prove it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic