Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mbx lightweight barrel

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, TNREDNECK said:

Do most competion shooters pay a gunsmith to install there barrels , due to the highly technical procedures that are required ?

I would say probably 80% or higher do this themselves.  I'm pretty sure one could train about anyone to do this properly. 

1 minute ago, TNREDNECK said:

That’s My understanding also , so there is no way to tune it or adjust it ,you install the barrel the hand guard attach the optic of your choice,move then to a bench and sight it in ?

For the most part. That's the Beauty of an AR15. Pretty much plug and play.

15 minutes ago, TNREDNECK said:

So what would you check if you installed a new barrel and could not get consistent groups at your starting distance from a bench at 25 yards ?

For me it starts when u install it initially.  Checking the fit to the receiver ( Making sure it fits straight and no excessive play in the receiver). After that torque the barrel nut to spec. Install handguard. 

Then if I had problems on the bench I would check optic first. Making sure it didn't become loose or is broken. Next I would clean it . Then I would try different ammo ( some barrels don't like certain types of ammo ) . Also shoot a 100 or so rounds through it to break it in. If everything above was done and I didn't see any improvement in accuracy then I could only assume it must be a issue with the barrel itself. 

27 minutes ago, TNREDNECK said:

So what would you check if you installed a new barrel and could not get consistent groups at your starting distance from a bench at 25 yards ?

One thing that hardly ever gets mentioned is the barrel crown.

Down the road from me is world renowned barrel maker Hart Barrels. They have reluctantly recrowned barrels from other manufactures for me. What a difference!

I am talking all calibers, all rifles, all pistols.

It has to be near perfect. Take the very best barrel with a bad crown, it will never shoot up to it's potential.

The barrel nut has to be a good one to correctly hold the barrel. Most are cheep.

Of course you have to realize that barrels can be picky about what they like as far as reloads and factory ammo.

Good luck.

2 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Down the road from me is world renowned barrel maker Hart Barrels. They have reluctantly recrowned barrels from other manufactures for me. What a difference!

It has to be near perfect. Take the very best barrel with a bad crown, it will never shoot up to it's potential.

The barrel nut has to be a good one to correctly hold the barrel. Most are cheep.

Of course you have to realize that barrels can be picky about what they like as far as reloads and factory ammo.

Good luck.

+1

13 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Good luck.

My gun JP GMR 15 so Barrel nut is not it , shot multiple weights of ammo , factory and hand loads will not group and has 2 or 3 fliers in every 5 shot group .  Removed the lightweight  barrel and reinstalled the JP  barrel. Shoots great again , what do you think?

31 minutes ago, TNREDNECK said:

My gun JP GMR 15 so Barrel nut is not it , shot multiple weights of ammo , factory and hand loads will not group and has 2 or 3 fliers in every 5 shot group .  Removed the lightweight  barrel and reinstalled the JP  barrel. Shoots great again , what do you think?

With a decent rest for shooting, a bad crown is the exact indication for flyers.

Do you have a magnifer to look at the crown? It does't take much.

Is the barrel straight cut or does it have a beveled crown?

Straight is easy to get a good one. When it's beveled it has to be right on the money.

The gas that comes out before the bullet has more of an effect on the bullet than a straight cut.

Even though a 16" 9mm barrel does not have a lot of gas exiting it, it still might have an effect on a bad crown.

That is how they explained it to me.

3 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

With a decent rest for shooting, a bad crown is the exact indication for flyers.

Do you have a magnifer to look at the crown? It does't take much.

Is the barrel straight cut or does it have a beveled crown?

Straight is easy to get a good one. When it's beveled it has to be right on the money.

The gas that comes out before the bullet has more of an effect on the bullet than a straight cut.

Even though a 16" 9mm barrel does not have a lot of gas exiting it, it still might have an effect on a bad crown.

That is how they explained it to me.

11° crown is what is stated on their website 

21 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Yup,

Target crown.

Just a thought. Have you shot it with out the comp?

I know at least on some of my rifles, a comp change has given me different groups and a change of impact.

It a pinned and welded comp.

I do notice when cleaning out the comp that the edges are quite sharp, so maybe there are some very small burs that are affecting things?

Or perhaps something in the comp chamber shape is causing a slight skew of the bullet as it clears the main barrel and is somehow adversely affected by the next two baffle surfaces?  But then again, if you look at MBX's own tests, it seems fine. 

Edited by MoRivera
2 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

I do notice when cleaning out the comp that the edges are quite sharp, so maybe there are some very small burs that are affecting things?

It almost has to be a crown issue. The comp is overbored by a good bit. 

4 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

That I noticed as well, so you would think the bullet is clearing them fine.  Could the crown have gotten nicked while cleaning?

I can't speak for the others but we used a bore snake on my father's. I don't know how u could nick it with a bore snake.

6 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

Maybe a shard of copper jacket or something, I dunno.  The tests that MBX did in the pics earlier say they were off a simple rest.

Yeah I don't know either.  We used Caldwell dead shot sand bags for our test