Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mbx lightweight barrel

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, BurdDawg69 said:

blckout, you are more than welcome to come to our shop So we can put this to rest. Please give us 48 hours notice so that we can be sure that myself or Adrian are here. 

Our test rifle is just a standard MBX rifle,POF flat trigger, MBX Buffer system .055 spring, old cutaway handguard, with old 3gun scope with quick detach, that we use for demos/testing. Our rifle is the same as we have shipped to hundreds of other customers. 

Before we ship their barrels back, we decised to shoot 2 new videos today showing from start to finish shooting a target at 26 yards, these are in response to these allegations of fudged results with Bullet56A and TNREDNECK barrels. Their barrels have not been modified in any way shape or form from the way we received them back. 

It would have been easier to have found something wrong with our barrels than to go through this rush to judgement and hassle on this forum. All we have done was install the barrel in an upper and shoot it. If that is fudging the results, then I guess we will not be able to please anyone.

I will post links to the videos on YouTube once they are uploaded. At that point we feel if this is not acceptable to anyone, then it is no longer worth our time trying to rationally resolve the false allegations. 

What do you guys torque the barrel nuts to?

Below is a picture of the rest that we are using. Just a simple Caldwell rest with bag on a quick made bench made from adjustable shelving from Home Depot. 

With our barrel nuts,we torque to 45 ft.lbs

Our uppers are milspec 

We are offering to get your rifle so that we can try and see what you are experiencing and be done with this. This isn't voodoo, it's not rocket science.

IMG_20181226_130959.jpg

5 minutes ago, BurdDawg69 said:

Below is a picture of the rest that we are using. Just a simple Caldwell rest with bag on a quick made bench made from adjustable shelving from Home Depot. 

With our barrel nuts,we torque to 45 ft.lbs

Our uppers are milspec 

We are offering to get your rifle so that we can try and see what you are experiencing and be done with this. This isn't voodoo, it's not rocket science.

IMG_20181226_130959.jpg

Thank you for sharing this information 

On 12/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, Mac-pcc said:

Thanks for the post. You have the medium weight barrel like I have. It shoots well just like yours. I bought mine also before there was two types. 

Mac-pcc.  I'm curious if you're getting "half-dollar sized" accuracy at 50 yards as well?  I'm investigating barrels and the medium weight sounds interesting...  Thanks, J

9 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Mac-pcc.  I'm curious if you're getting "half-dollar sized" accuracy at 50 yards as well?  I'm investigating barrels and the medium weight sounds interesting...  Thanks, J

I haven't set down and shot groups at 50 yard since I installed it. At that time if I remember correctly I was able to shoot about 1.5 to 2 in group with a red dot shooting 135 freedom munitions match HP. I'm sure I could have gotten a tighter group if I put a scope on it.

1 hour ago, AHI said:

Videos are up on you tube. Looks like they will come with test target from now on.

May the s..t storm stop now?

Nice explanation and something positive looks to have come out of an unfortunate situation.

I personally shot one of the barrels and it most definitely wouldn't shoot better than 6"  five shot groups at 25 yard in my father's rifle. I don't doubt the results that Adrian shows in his video but when I installed and shot the barrel my results were totally different. I'm  M class shooter in USPSA and a four category GM in steel challenge. I also compete in 600 yard F bench and 3 gun. I don't appreciate him insinuating that I can't shoot or that my results are invalid. I don't know what they did differently than what I did to get the results with some of the same ammo I tested. When the barrel comes back I will be testing it personally and good or bad I'll post the results. I never wanted this to turn into a pissing match when I started this thread.  I just wanted to know what the results that others got out of the same barrel. The others two guys that have the barrels that I personally know had similar results. I just am trying to figure out how or what caused the issue for the barrels in question. Anyone else that has one please let me know how it does for you and what your setup is so I can try to get this figured out. Thanks Seth

It’s clear they found a burr or something in the barrel removed it and the barrel now shoots good, or maybe you believe that 3 people could come up  with the same results and all be wrong. You decide just remember they were not concerned with what we shot or anything . If there was nothing wrong why are they now testing every barrel ,because we were not the first ones to let them know they couldn’t get the barrel to group. So based on the way we were all treated you decide if it makes sense to risk it. All Adrian wanted to say over and over is we need to test your gun which has nothing wrong with it , and because I would not send him my gun that works fine he became hostile. As someone else posted customer service is how you Handel the problems not the easy stuff. Hey this is Adrian we couldn’t find any problem with your barrel what would like to do , we can send it back , send you the midweight or give you a refund your choice. CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT  WINS. What he did imply that we did something wrong,can’t shoot . And try to make us the bad GUYS. 

I'm not really seeing any hostility or ridicule on MBX's part.....by the posts in this thread, at least.  I just see their results, so it just seems to be some sort of incompatibility issue with whatever setups some are using that doesn't show up with other barrels for whatever reason.  Although I can understand the frustration with a $300 barrel not grouping well, I think it's a bit far to suggest that they secretly corrected a problem without admitting that it was there.  Again, I haven't seen any private conversations between parties and probably don't want to, but to me this has gotten nastier than it should have.

You are correct email from them to all of the people with the problem barrels, its a shame , and if you were any of the 3 that shot the barrels and had almost the same results you would probably feel a little different, they could of handle it much different. And made current customers happy and by doing so picked up more customers.

I don't doubt their results.  But that video sounded like a big F you to us having issues with our barrel.   Saying our claims are false.  Saying that you have to have someone behind the gun that can shoot.

I'm going to be shooting my own video where I put my MBX barrel in.  Shoot it.  Then instal the JP barrel and shoot it.

IF the MBX barrel still behaves in the manner that it did when I first had it installed.  It will go back to MBX.

I will say this.

A lot of this could have been resolved a lot faster over the phone.  Instead of forums and email.

3 hours ago, Mac-pcc said:

I personally shot one of the barrels and it most definitely wouldn't shoot better than 6"  five shot groups at 25 yard in my father's rifle. I don't doubt the results that Adrian shows in his video but when I installed and shot the barrel my results were totally different. I'm  M class shooter in USPSA and a four category GM in steel challenge. I also compete in 600 yard F bench and 3 gun. I don't appreciate him insinuating that I can't shoot or that my results are invalid. I don't know what they did differently than what I did to get the results with some of the same ammo I tested. When the barrel comes back I will be testing it personally and good or bad I'll post the results. I never wanted this to turn into a pissing match when I started this thread.  I just wanted to know what the results that others got out of the same barrel. The others two guys that have the barrels that I personally know had similar results. I just am trying to figure out how or what caused the issue for the barrels in question. Anyone else that has one please let me know how it does for you and what your setup is so I can try to get this figured out. Thanks Seth

I feel like it is something with our setup.

But......our setups are drastically different IIRC.

2 minutes ago, blckout said:

I feel like it is something with our setup.

But......our setups are drastically different IIRC.

I'm at a loss for what it is. But I have 4 different pcc bolts and about 7 different Ar buffers to test with. I also have just about every strength Ar spring to try also. Have 3 different uppers to try too. I'll be using a 1-4 power scope this time too instead of a red dot. Just need them to send the barrel back to my dad so I can start testing. 

48 minutes ago, blckout said:

I don't doubt their results.  But that video sounded like a big F you to us having issues with our barrel.   Saying our claims are false.  Saying that you have to have someone behind the gun that can shoot.

I'm going to be shooting my own video where I put my MBX barrel in.  Shoot it.  Then instal the JP barrel and shoot it.

IF the MBX barrel still behaves in the manner that it did when I first had it installed.  It will go back to MBX.

I will say this.

A lot of this could have been resolved a lot faster over the phone.  Instead of forums and email.

I dunno...it feels like some are taking it the wrong way, I didn't sense any condescension or ridicule, just stuff stated factually, really.  I missed where he said that the claims by shooters were false...I only saw where their results were different.  So naturally they'd like to see someone's gun/setup to see if they can notice differences that could be contributing to the different results.  I realize that some take pride in their abilities and knowledge of their gear, and deservedly so.  And I'm not taking sides.  But it was the holidays and such, and then you have a good deal of negativity starting to snowball in a pretty prominent gun enthusiast forum.  Yeah perhaps they should have been quicker to respond to more 'personable'......but saying the they're calling you 'idiots' and 'F You'...I'm just not seeing it unless they actually did say that in emails.

I have yet to really test my own lightweight MBX barrel, so if it turns out I'm getting bad groups as well I'd like there to be as much info about it as possible in a civilized investigation, if you will.  And if I feel the need to send it in, it'd be a shame if it was just a sore subject for them from this, and/or we never got to the bottom of it because of perceived name-calling and such.

Again, I understand the frustration of those who are getting bad groups, as this barrel is not cheap.  But I just feel like something was lost in translation in the matter.

I’ve been asking for mine back since last week.  

It seems he’s got time to make videos, write novel length emails, no phone calls, won’t answer my question on when he’ll get it back. 

It’s like a black hole. 

Maybe it’s on the way...Who knows???

I asked for a tracking number Wednesday morning.  Still nothing. 

All I need is a barrel in working order. 

It’s always been for those with the bad shooting barrels that they would take the barrels back and test them and then there would be conversation , what your set up , and so forth, it didn’t happen. There stance was barrel 100% send us your gun, so we can fixt what’s wrong with your platform,if they just had someone with people skills that was willing to talk on the phone in a reasonable way . The whole thing could have been avoided . And it was another poster who brought up maybe they fudged there testing, not one of us 3 . They insinuating is what got me riddled up . The whole beauty of the AR platform is the plug and play, and so 2 of us reinstalled our original barrel both guns different mine a JP the other custom build and they both shoot great again. It’s not like there’s multiple ways you can put the barrel in. Again good customer service is how you Handel the difficult stuff. 

JP says if your not happy I am not happy, this is how customer service should work !!!!

19 minutes ago, TNREDNECK said:

It’s always been for those with the bad shooting barrels that they would take the barrels back and test them and then there would be conversation , what your set up , and so forth, it didn’t happen. There stance was barrel 100% send us your gun, so we can fixt what’s wrong with your platform,if they just had someone with people skills that was willing to talk on the phone in a reasonable way . The whole thing could have been avoided . And it was another poster who brought up maybe they fudged there testing, not one of us 3 . They insinuating is what got me riddled up . The whole beauty of the AR platform is the plug and play, and so 2 of us reinstalled our original barrel both guns different mine a JP the other custom build and they both shoot great again. It’s not like there’s multiple ways you can put the barrel in. Again good customer service is how you Handel the difficult stuff. 

JP says if your not happy I am not happy, this is how customer service should work !!!!

my question to you is, 

why did you go from a JP barrel to the MBX?