Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mbx lightweight barrel

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More accurate than myself, and the feed cone is very nice. I’ve shot about 5k rounds thru mine, 124 gr fmj, 147 gr fp and rn without any feeding issues at all. 

Edit mine is the mediumweight 

Edited by Bwillis

There are three guys I know, two in Memphis and one down near Jackson MS... who have shipped (or are waiting on instructions to ship) theirs back to MBX.

Two of then won’t group better than 5-6” at 25 yards. The third of them is shooting around 3” using various brands of 115/124 factory ammo.

That’s pretty atrocious for a rifle.

Hopefully MBX takes good care of them when it comes to refund/warranty/exchange.

(Another local has their mediumweight, and his gun will pretty much stay inside of a postage stamp when shot at 25yds.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic
1 hour ago, Mac-pcc said:

That's not good. They have a good reputation.  Hopefully they will step up and make it wright.

how long did it take them to get in touch with you after you notified shooters?

I've yet to hear anything from them about this.  Shooters emailed them on friday afternoon.  I've not heard a single thing.  I sent them a message on facebook, they read it, but have not replied. 

Just now, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: My KAW Valley barrels have been really good and at around 19ozs they are pretty light. Accuracy at 25 yards is a quarter size off hand with reloads. Thanks, Eric

That's excellent accuracy. That might be an option if the MBX lightweight barrels don't pan out. I have one of the mid weight MBX barrels and have similar accuracy as your kaw valley. I just like the idea of a light weight barrel with a comp that's 16in overall like the mbx.

18 minutes ago, Mac-pcc said:

That's excellent accuracy. That might be an option if the MBX lightweight barrels don't pan out. I have one of the mid weight MBX barrels and have similar accuracy as your kaw valley. I just like the idea of a light weight barrel with a comp that's 16in overall like the mbx.

What internals are you using in your rifle?

3 hours ago, blckout said:

What internals are you using in your rifle?

Lead star bolt, JP ez trigger, rifle length 223 spring , New blitzkrieg HD buffer with thier short stroke weight.  On a Qc10 glock mag lower

Edited by Mac-pcc

I have one....

On 12/4/2018 at 1:03 AM, MoRivera said:

The MBX Barrel/comp arrived today.....

Muz1.jpg

Muz2.jpg

Muz3.jpg

Bar1.jpg

Bar2.jpg

Going to probably sight in and test it out tomorrow.  I must say I think it looks pretty slick.

Only minor niggle is the there is a certain 'booonnnggggggg....' when you knock the barrel with your finger.  But that's probably to be expected with a barrel with such a thin profile.  It's quite lightweight too.

It shoots fine, I just think that with factory 9mm (115-gr Blazer) it's still kicking too much for me to notice any effect of the comp. 

6 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

I have one....

It shoots fine, I just think that with factory 9mm (115-gr Blazer) it's still kicking too much for me to notice any effect of the comp. 

have you done an accuracy test?  What groupage are you getting at 25 yards?

I can't get anything tighter than 4 to 5 inches of grouping with it.

7 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

I have one....

What size groups are u getting at 25 yards?

2 hours ago, Mac-pcc said:

What size groups are u getting at 25 yards?

2 hours ago, blckout said:

have you done an accuracy test?  What groupage are you getting at 25 yards?

I can't get anything tighter than 4 to 5 inches of grouping with it.

I have not tried it off a rest at that distance, but between 15-20 yards off-hand, I could consistently tear a ragged hole the size of a lemon out of a paper target with 100-250 rds...maybe a few flyers outside of that main hole by an inch.  This is with a 6MOA-dot C-More.  I might try some 25-yrd stuff off a rest to really sight in the red dot, but like with most PCC's, I think it'll consistently put hits in the center A/Zero at various distances if I do my part.

Frankly though, I got this barrel as a sort of 'placeholder' while I get a Taccom featherweight tension carbon fiber barrel repaired....and the accuracy for me and my limited abilities seems the same.  So if I get the Taccom back, I might be selling the MBX.  I got it more because it was a light barrel that was a total 16" with a comp pinned/welded.

The only thing I could possibly think of for poor mechanical accuracy is maybe barrel whip/harmonics since it is so thin with a bulbous all-steel comp at the end of it.  As I mentioned, it does have some ring to it when you knock it with your finger/knuckles.

Edited by MoRivera

One of the guys I shoot with has a ULW (taccom)barrel that's literally throwing rocks bad with 115 and 124-5 grain bullets. Switch over to 147s and it will put then all into 2" at 50 yards. For him its a compramise he was willing to make so he kept the barrel. If the accuracy is not there with one load you might try other bullet weight before sending it back.

Edited by JsK

Well its stainless and I usually break stainless barrels In  the same way with 1 shot and clean x 3,  3 shots and clean x 3,  and 5 shots and clean. Most say its useless , but its just how I have always done rifles. Pretty sure its either baffle strike in the comps or something with the chamber to have those MBX barrels shooting that bad. 

Edited by JsK
7 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I might try some 25-yrd stuff off a rest to really sight in the red dot, but like with most PCC's, I think it'll consistently put hits in the center A/Zero at various distances if I do my part.

Frankly though, I got this barrel as a sort of 'placeholder' while I get a Taccom featherweight tension carbon fiber barrel repaired....and the accuracy for me and my limited abilities seems the same.  So if I get the Taccom back, I might be selling the MBX.  I got it more because it was a light barrel that was a total 16" with a comp pinned/welded.

Give us a update when u take it out and test it.

I have a MBX sitting in the safe but I have not had a chance to take her out (I'm out of town).  Its the 14" lightweight with the pinned and welded comp.  After I get back and go play I'll send an update.  My dealer and buddy played with it when it came in and they loved it using 115g FMJ's but they didn't do any group testing.