Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Command Stand By

encoreman

No nod required; assuming the start position is your signal that you are ready.... "Are you ready" does not require an answer verbal or otherwise, if ready - only if NOT ready do you need to let the RO know. :unsure:

I think (ass/u/me) Merlin is talking about having a pause between stand by and the buzz. If that's so, I agree. I hate the "Stand By instant Beep" routine. It's just polite to give the competitor time to nod, or to take an action to indicate not ready. Afterall, don't the rules indicate a one to four second delay?

I think (ass/u/me) Merlin is talking about having a pause between stand by and the buzz. If that's so, I agree. I hate the "Stand By instant Beep" routine. It's just polite to give the competitor time to nod, or to take an action to indicate not ready. Afterall, don't the rules indicate a one to four second delay?

I do believe that you are supposed to have at a minimum 1-4 seconds before stanby and the "beep". Actually rule 8.3.3 stipulates this. If someone is giving you a standby, and the beep follows it immediately, I would protest it. I've had this happen to me in the past at local matches, the first time I'd shoot as usual, the next time that RO was ro'ing me, I'd tell him the rule and let him know that I didn't appreciate the instant beep. That usually gave me a better delay the next time.

Vince

I think Merlin is refering to haveing a sufficient pause between the "Are your Ready" and "Standby" commands long enough to actually let the RO if you are not ready, instead of all one rushed strung together "Areyoureadystandyby" ?

I like "Standy-By" , by the way.

About a 2 second pause between "Are you ready?" and "Standby" works for me. Then once the standby is given of course 1-4 seconds for the beep..... but personally I think 1 second, or 4 seconds is just rude :P 1 is to fast, 4 makes you wonder if it'll ever go off...... 2 seconds is about right. Altough there are some ROs who take pride in really pushing that 1 - 4 second range a little.... :blink:

I do "Are you ready", wait a beat for a response of "Not Ready," give the "Standby" command, count somewhere between one-onethousand and four-onethousand silently, and release the button on the timer ---- or depending on timer model, hit the button on the timer.

Usually my Are you Ready is delivered in a softer tone of voice than Standby ---- although I'm trying not to bellow that too loudly anymore....

I am always afraid they double plugged and didn't hear the "are you ready."

"The Big Voice" is necessary. I wouldn't tone down either command. When I double plug I can barely hear some timers. Sometimes I can hardly hear the RO. However you choose to give the stand-by command is fine, as long as it's loud. ;)

Ahhh, the finer points of range commands!! Since I get to do this alot, I'm not sure if even I am always 100% consistent with myself. :huh:

Anyway, I give the Are You Ready once the competitor settles into the required start position and 'appears' to be ready. I'm looking right at them when I give it, and probably give them a second or two to say Not Ready. After that, it's Standby with the beep following in the 1 to 4 second window (counting like Nik described). I can't remember anyone ever saying Not Ready, so I must be giving them plenty of time to assume the position.

As for 2 seconds after Standby being 'about right', I've got a couple of comments here. First, the rule clearly states between 1 second and 4 seconds. Second, good shooters often try to guess the rhythm of the RO's in an effort to gain a small advantage. At the same time, good RO's vary their rhythm so that everyone starts on the beep signal. Finally, I always keep the timer on instant so that I am controlling it. This is important if the competitor begins to move, lean, etc., I can delay the start, get them back into position, and then go again. ;)

Couple of tips for competitors...

1) if you are double plugged, hard of hearing, or have a favored ear, tell the RO...

2) keep your strong hand on your gun (assuming a holstered start), until you are ready. Since we cannot start you in that position, that is a great clue for RO's to watch for...

As always, I'm open to positive suggestions since I have run most of you at one time or another... B)

Finally, I always keep the timer on instant so that I am controlling it.

That's exactly why I never liked the little yellow timers. (RU Ready???) You have to hold the button for 3 seconds, then let go. Once you start, the beep has to go off. Instant is the way to go.

As a related note....I hate it when I have my strong hand on the gun and the RO says "are you ready".

I just kinda glare at em. ;)

Well, if that is happening, hopefully it happens more at club level matches than at the Area or higher level matches. :o Also, depending on the actual situation, it might be a great moment to do some positive coaching. I know that was the way I learned that lesson years ago... ;)

If I ever do that to you... first, glare at me, then settle down and complete your run. Then before I get ready to run the next shooter, sneak up behind me and smack me across the back of the head with the rulebook. :ph34r: That will remind me to pay closer attention! :lol:

Finally, I always keep the timer on instant so that I am controlling it.

That's exactly why I never liked the little yellow timers. (RU Ready???) You have to hold the button for 3 seconds, then let go. Once you start, the beep has to go off. Instant is the way to go.

Here's the trick to the little yellow timers ---- push and hold the start button. You can watch the three second counter change after about 1/2 a second to read o seconds. Let go now, and you have an instant beep. I usually depress the start button about the time I give the "Are you Ready?" command......

As a related note....I hate it when I have my strong hand on the gun and the RO says "are you ready".

I just kinda glare at em. ;)

Yup --- I get that particular hate as a shooter. As an RO, I've been guilty of doing that on occasion ----- usually when something else in the bay needs looking at, or needs a non-verbal instruction during the countdown......

Unfortunately, sometimes stuff happens. The choice I'm then faced with is stopping the whole process and restarting the shooter a minute or so later, or trying to multitask.......

I dislike anything besides the range commands as per the rule book.

At the local level I kind of expect, and do, hear all kinds of made up range commands. I assume the RO thinks it gives them a certain flair <_< . I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me enough to affect anything.

I don't care for it at all at a bigger match, but it still happens.

I don't really care how they say "stand by", but I won't react if the beep is too fast, regardless of the size of the match.

If I ever do that to you... first, glare at me, then settle down and complete your run. Then before I get ready to run the next shooter, sneak up behind me and smack me across the back of the head with the rulebook. :ph34r: That will remind me to pay closer attention! :lol:

but smack him gently... He's a big ol' boy :D:D:D

dj

"The Big Voice" is necessary. I wouldn't tone down either command. When I double plug I can barely hear some timers. Sometimes I can hardly hear the RO. However you choose to give the stand-by command is fine, as long as it's loud. ;)

I hate it wen RO's yell at me when I am on the line. It gets me jacked up at the last second. If an RO yells ARE YOU READY??!! I will move from the start position and say something to the ro.

When I am the RO I will greet the shooter when they come to the line. Most people come to the line ready to shoot. If they can hear me say hello they can hear my range commands which are given in a regular voice.

I like when a shooter tells me to put the timer by their right ear ect. so they can hear.

If the range commands are given too loudly you can end up with the person on the next range loading and making ready. Pro Ears are great.

I dislike anything besides the range commands as per the rule book.

At the local level I kind of expect, and do, hear all kinds of made up range commands.  I assume the RO thinks it gives them a certain flair <_< .  I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me enough to affect anything.

I don't care for it at all at a bigger match, but it still happens.

I don't really care how they say "stand by", but I won't react if the beep is too fast, regardless of the size of the match.

Ready Cowboy?

Stoke It, Stroke It, Flick It, Stick It (Alternate for LAMR, especially if the AD is my shooter :))

Then a real RU Ready? 2 Count, Stand-By, (usually drawn out a bit and definately loud) 2-3 count, BEEP.

Please note before you rip me, the above commands are only used amongst the closest of friends and only when we know that the shooter will not be non-plussed or offended by our whimsical commands.

It is particulary gratifying to add in a "Slide Forward" prior to "Hammer Down" and watch a certain AD slide forward two steps :)

"If clear, hammer down, holster". "Slide" isn't a part of it anymore and actually hasn't been for awhile.

But yeah, I remember that from John Hurst RO classes:

Slide Forward - John moves forward a couple of steps; :)

Slide Down - John inverts the gun; :P

Drop the Slide - John drops the (dummy training) gun :lol:

I hate it wen RO's yell at me when I am on the line. It gets me jacked up at the last second. If an RO yells ARE YOU READY??!! I will move from the start position and say something to the ro.

When I am the RO I will greet the shooter when they come to the line. Most people come to the line ready to shoot. If they can hear me say hello they can hear my range commands which are given in a regular voice.

I like when a shooter tells me to put the timer by their right ear ect. so they can hear.

If the range commands are given too loudly you can end up with the person on the next range loading and making ready. Pro Ears are great.

As a rule, I only wear plugs, they cut more noise than muffs, although I know they don't offer the same protection, I often loosen my plugs when not shooting, only to stop the RO when I hear his voice too loudly, since that reminds me that my plugs are not in all the way. So Mr. RO, please speak up. If I can hear you when you speak softly, I might just not have my plugs in all the way and that hurts when the hammer falls!

So far, I have not reacted to the commands from another bay, I think that occurance is really quite rare. I know YOUR voice and I know that it is not Billy-Bob over on range two.

Jim

I hate it wen RO's yell at me when I am on the line. It gets me jacked up at the last second. If an RO yells ARE YOU READY??!!

I didn't mean to imply "Yelling". I also wouldn't intentionally try to get someone jacked up just before they start the COF.

i don't yell commands, simply say them loud enough for the competitor to hear (sometimes, of course, i find i need to speak up a little).

as for standby; it's short, no stand-byyyyyyyyy....

as for the time after that command, it varies widely. anything between 1-4 secs, unless, as i'm watching the shooter, he/she starts to move, lean, creep, flinch, turn, edge, crouch or whatever else it is he/she thinks he needs to do.

but that's another matter. ;)