Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Command Stand By

encoreman

I have always thought that the stand-by comand could be elimanated. Once the RO has said are you ready, the shooter has time to say YES or NO. If nothing is said, give him/her a moment and hit the button.

Gene

I have always thought that the stand-by comand could be elimanated.  Once the RO  has said are you ready, the shooter has time to say YES or NO. If nothing is said, give him/her a moment and hit the button.

Gene

I understand what you are saying, but disagree. The "Are you Ready" command elicits a possible response from the shooter.

The "Stand By" command is a preparatory command that leaves no doubt that the sequence has started...

The timer buzzer is the command of execution...

Similar to "Battalion" eliciting the commands of "Company" and "Platoon" from the subordinate units... followed by a preparatory command like "Parade" (or "Forward") and the command of execution "Rest" (or "March")

I can see a definite possibility for a screw up in communication if the "Stand By" command were eliminated causing a lot more re-shoots, and/or protests... resulting in a lot of wasted time.

Just my 2/100ths of a dollar. ;)

Oh... and to be on topic... IMHO, the "Stand By" command should be delivered sharp, short, and flat inflection.... "Stand By" Not drawn out, no rising or falling inflection, et al. Stand By is a preparatory command and should not be drawn out...

For instance "Paraaaaaaaade, Rest!" is an INCORRECT use of the preparatory command "Parade".

I dislike anything besides the range commands as per the rule book.

At the local level I kind of expect, and do, hear all kinds of made up range commands.  I assume the RO thinks it gives them a certain flair <_< .  I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me enough to affect anything.

I don't care for it at all at a bigger match, but it still happens.

I don't really care how they say "stand by", but I won't react if the beep is too fast, regardless of the size of the match.

Ready Cowboy?

Stoke It, Stroke It, Flick It, Stick It (Alternate for LAMR, especially if the AD is my shooter :))

Then a real RU Ready? 2 Count, Stand-By, (usually drawn out a bit and definately loud) 2-3 count, BEEP.

Please note before you rip me, the above commands are only used amongst the closest of friends and only when we know that the shooter will not be non-plussed or offended by our whimsical commands.

It is particulary gratifying to add in a "Slide Forward" prior to "Hammer Down" and watch a certain AD slide forward two steps :)

Thankfully, after having not only shot with you, but having had dinner with you, I can (in my mind) see you issueing these commands, I am only slightly disturbed. Very slightly!

:D

It seems to me that some of the ROs who make up range commands are just as likely to make up other rules as they go along, so I pay close attention to what they're doing with other shooters. Probably just a holdover from my disgusting IDPA experience where they made up rules out of thin air on a regular basis (the one club I tried - several times).

My other irritation is the old "it's just a local match" , or "if you were at a big match you'd get a penalty". ROs watched me sweep myself 3 times over as many months without penalty when I first started shooting USPSA, and those examples were used each time. I didn't know what sweeping meant, and with no actual penalty I figured it couldn't be too bad. I finally figured it out and can't say I appreciated that kind of "help". Probably stupid to equate that with improper range commands, but at at least on a minor level I do.

Since my 8 Y.O. daughter has been ROing me some in practice, no improper range command can possibly bother my shooting. I've heard it all lately and have had every possible combination of bad timing between "standby" (unless she makes something else up) and the beep. That helped quite a bit this month as I screwed up and shot with one of those "fun" squads a couple of weeks ago. Not a big deal at all, but the only negative thing that happened at the match.