Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open load recommendations/Brazos 5" .38 super

vgdvc

Hello. I soon should be the second owner of a Brazos Custom SC 5" bbl.38 Super open pistol. It is a traditional Brazos setup, 4 popple holes and his modified Tru bor comp. I did contact Brazos and they did e mail me the standard info loadings of vvn105 and 4756 powders. VV is not always easy to obtain.  My question is has anybody experimented with other types of powder that proved to be successful in this model or similar set up open gun. Fwiw I have a lot of CFE and would love to find even a practice load to use with that. Thanks in advance.

I do 10.5g of accurate no 7 with 121g campro @ 1.255. Or 9.6g of 3N38 with the same bullets @ 1.255. PF is in the 171-175 range for both. My barrel is also trubor but with only 2 holes... I find accurate no 7 softer, dirtyer and the 3N38 has more flash and bang but cleaner.

1 hour ago, vgdvc said:

I have a lot of CFE and would love to find even a practice load to use with that.  

CFE is very similar to WAC, so a 124 gr JHP bullet at c. 1.165" and 7 gr CFE will

probably do it - I'd start at 6.6 gr and work up, slowly, with a chrono.    :) 

39 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: HS-6, Silhouette, 3N38, N350, N105, AA#7, and Winchester Auto Comp. Those are just some of the ones that will work. 4756 is no longer available but was a good powder. Thanks, Eric

I appreciate all the input you guys are sending. Seeing that 4756 is no longer made has there been a replacement powder with the same characteristics put in its place?

Are there any links that anyone knows of either on this forum or another with specific data for loads of the above-mentioned recommend powders? Since we are loading these kind of hot I don't think I'm going to find them in the traditional Lyman hand-load book....

With a 121 gr Zero JHP, I've used the following to make major power in my 38 Super;

10.0gr Accurate #7,

7.7gr Winchester AutoComp (WAC), and my current load,

8.4gr Silhouette. 

Hope this helps

Edited by dons
typo

1 hour ago, Fo0 said:

how does 3n37 compare to 3n38 - on Vihtavuori website for reloading data it doesn't list 3n38 for 38 super

3N37 is faster & hotter burning and a little more dense than 3N38.

3N38 is really hard to beat for major loads in 38S/SC.

59 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the input. What made you choose 115 over 124/125gr. What has your experience been with the pistol overall?

It was my first open gun.  Currently my backup because I got something else with a steel grip and I prefer the heavier gun. The Brazos has been extremely reliable.

I chose 115s over 124 based on a number of factors:

Recommendations of some shooters on this forum

Slightly cheaper (but essentially irrelevant in the big picture)

MORE POWDER= MORE GAS. It shoots flat. I preferred the feel and the dot movement compared to the 124s

If you are going to make the commitment to shooting 38SC, use a slow powder that makes a lot of gas.  If you are going to use WAC, might as well shoot 9Major

And it makes cool fireballs (check out my profile pic)

Edited by Balakay

6 hours ago, Balakay said:

It was my first open gun.  Currently my backup because I got something else with a steel grip and I prefer the heavier gun. The Brazos has been extremely reliable.

I chose 115s over 124 based on a number of factors:

Recommendations of some shooters on this forum

Slightly cheaper (but essentially irrelevant in the big picture)

MORE POWDER= MORE GAS. It shoots flat. I preferred the feel and the dot movement compared to the 124s

If you are going to make the commitment to shooting 38SC, use a slow powder that makes a lot of gas.  If you are going to use WAC, might as well shoot 9Major

And it makes cool fireballs (check out my profile pic)

Good info,thanks. Cool pic. That would be hell on an indoor low light stage LOL

5 minutes ago, 191138sc said:

I have been shooting this combo for a long time. My dot tracks the best with AA#7 but I have tried them all. Good luck.

Thanks. Seems like AA7 &124 or 125 grain is a good place to start with load development. Could you share overall length and any other particulars like primer type used?

I have the same gun. I used 9.0 4756 with Zero 125 jhp for the load until my stash of 4756 ran out recently. I developed loads using AA 7 with Zero 125 jhp and Hornady 115 HAP. I liked the 115 best with 11.5 AA 7 and an OAL of 1.240. The Super case will hold a ton of AA 7 so that load is not compressed. Use a chrono and start low. Small rifle primers also. It's too bad they stopped making 4756. It was soft shooting and low pressure. The downside it was inverse temp sensitive. It created some pucker factor at the chrono on a hot day.

17 hours ago, vgdvc said:

I have a lot of CFE and would love to find even a practice load to use with that. Thanks in advance.

Start anywhere around 7.0 and work up for 38 super/SC.

I was at 7.4, 124 MG, fed sRp, 1.235oal

I've since switched to 9 major but that load worked well with CFE or WAC, supposed to be the same less the copper fouling additive etc etc

Edited by jcc7x7

5 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Start anywhere around 7.0 and work up for 38 super/SC.

I was at 7.4, 124 MG, fed sRp, 1.235oal

I've since switched to 9 major but that load worked well with CFE or WAC, supposed to be the same less the copper fouling additive etc etc

Thanks. I'm going to try to get myself a pound of a AA7 but until then I will take your advice and see how the CFE feels. Of course I have no comparator until the other powder arrives....

On 12/13/2018 at 7:18 AM, vgdvc said:
On 12/13/2018 at 7:10 AM, 191138sc said:

Thanks. Seems like AA7 &124 or 125 grain is a good place to start with load development. Could you share overall length and any other particulars like primer type used?

I chose 115 gr JHP from Precision Delta rather than MG. I'm hesitant to share OAL because each gun/chamber is unique. Use the Plunk Test method to determine OAL and then see if your mags will feed at that length. I did find that Accurate Arms listed load data was a good place to start for beginning load charge. I used either Federal or Winchester SRP's. Good luck.