Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open load recommendations/Brazos 5" .38 super

vgdvc

9 minutes ago, 191138sc said:

I chose 115 gr JHP from Precision Delta rather than MG. I'm hesitant to share OAL because each gun/chamber is unique. Use the Plunk Test method to determine OAL and then see if your mags will feed at that length. I did find that Accurate Arms listed load data was a good place to start for beginning load charge. I used either Federal or Winchester SRP's. Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback . Yeah I'm pretty excited to cat going with it. Just waiting for the delivery of it at this point. Want to get as many components together as I can so I can get rocking and rolling right away...

2 minutes ago, IDAHOAASHOOTER said:

7.4 of CFE under a 124gr accura HP worked well with my DVC. 9.3 of 3n38 from what I understand is a touch softer. But there's no holes in that barrel so...... 

Thanks. I will probably work a load with CFE since I have so much of it but I think I'll be ordering some aa7 to find a more permanent load. Looking at my load development in the reverse  now. Usually I would try to find a powder that was fast are required the least amount of grains. Now I'm looking for something slow that I can put the most amount of powder in for additional gas to work the comp ports and popples. Different ends of the spectrum LOL.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:32 PM, dvc4you said:

I don’t think 4756 is good choice, it is too bulky if you have big popples 3N38, N105, Major Pistol or AA#7 are better choices. I will keep using my 4756 for 44 Magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With the barrel having popple's, N105 may be too slow. 10.5 of N105 makes 170 in my Trubor with no popples, but chronoed in another gun with popples, it only made 162. 10.5 almost spills out of the case.

27 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

With the barrel having popple's, N105 may be too slow. 10.5 of N105 makes 170 in my Trubor with no popples, but chronoed in another gun with popples, it only made 162. 10.5 almost spills out of the case.

Thank you for the response. Bob at Brazos forwarded me their standard recommendation load which is 10.0 gr VV n105, 124 Montana gold loaded to 1.235oal. It should make 168 to 170pf in the Brazos SC with the popples that I have coming. I'm going to look for an AA7 load as it seems to also be popular with this type configuration and more readily available powder. From reading and doing some research ,it varies on the size of the popple holes,but on average you lose about 1% velocity per hole in a 5 inch barrel. And as we all know each particular pistol is different so the real telltale will be once I put loads together and run them over the chronograph...

21 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Thank you for the response. Bob at Brazos forwarded me their standard recommendation load which is 10.0 gr VV n105, 124 Montana gold loaded to 1.235oal. It should make 168 to 170pf in the Brazos SC with the popples that I have coming. I'm going to look for an AA7 load as it seems to also be popular with this type configuration and more readily available powder. From reading and doing some research ,it varies on the size of the popple holes,but on average you lose about 1% velocity per hole in a 5 inch barrel. And as we all know each particular pistol is different so the real telltale will be once I put loads together and run them over the chronograph...

I should have mentioned that my load is with a 115 MG JHP

7 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I should have mentioned that my load is with a 115 MG JHP

Ahhh. Original owner was using the Brazos load with good success. I would also like to find an additional option.