Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650xl with Mr Bulletfeeder or 1050?

I've had my 550b for about 6 years now, reloaded well over 115,000 rounds on it. However, I'm now finding that I have much less time for reloading.

I think I need a faster machine but I'm torn between a 650 xl complete with a Mr Bulletfeeder or a 1050 - but if I go for the 1050, I can't afford the Mr Bulletfeeder for at least a year or two.

What should I go for? I'll be loading about 30,000 rounds of .40S&W every year.

Thanks for the input

6 minutes ago, Cliveb said:

I've had my 550b for about 6 years now, reloaded well over 115,000 rounds on it. However, I'm now finding that I have much less time for reloading.

I think I need a faster machine but I'm torn between a 650 xl complete with a Mr Bulletfeeder or a 1050 - but if I go for the 1050, I can't afford the Mr Bulletfeeder for at least a year or two.

What should I go for? I'll be loading about 30,000 rounds of .40S&W every year.

Thanks for the input

Based upon the info provided you've averaged about 19k per year / under 400 per week on your 550. I certainly can't know all the particulars of your situation however the 650 package  will certainly get you to 40 k which is about 800 per week. I can do 800 per week on my 650 without a BF... if you have been a good boy this year get your letter to Santa!

Cheers brother!

1 minute ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Based upon the info provided you've averaged about 19k per year / under 400 per week on your 550. I certainly can't know all the particulars of your situation however the 650 package  will certainly get you to 40 k which is about 800 per week. I can do 800 per week on my 650 without a BF... if you have been a good boy this year get your letter to Santa!

Cheers brother!

Thanks 🙂

Nowadays I shoot more. Thing is, I find the 650 a bit "fiddly" and the tool head crowded. Is the 1050 that much sturdier?

I had a 650 for 6 years

Added a mr bulletfeeder for 2 years.

Sold 650, went 1050 with bulletfeeder.

My opinion?

Buy a 1050 at the earliest possible opportunity. Add a bulletfeeder when you can.

1050 has some features people here don’t often tout; I have yet to have a single primer jam / seating problem / high primer in 1,500 rounds. Zero twitches. That’s where all the 650’s hangups are found when dealing with well used 9mm. Now it’s swaged, seated to precisely .004”-.005” below flush (CCIs in 9mm brass) and done.

The machine will present the same primer over and over until a case finally comes along to accept it. It’s so nice not worrying about the primer side of things when clearing a stoppage.

And overall, the press makes a 650 feel like a flimsy little toy.

All of this is coming from a guy who loves the 650. I’m no hater. The 1050 is just that much better.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Have both. It's a coin toss but the 650 with bulletfeeder is very good with about the same production per hour as the 1050. The 1050 is much sturdier, better primer system , primer depth adjustable and swage. Personally I'd go 650 and sleep easily with the lifetime warranty.

10 hours ago, jnr88 said:

Personally I'd go 650 and sleep easily with the lifetime warranty.

The lifetime warranty is probably the main reason I chose the 650. Even though the 1050 is recognized a more sturdy machine, stuff does break, parts wear out and we often tend to do stupid things to our machines. Once you get a 650 dialed in it is a thing of beauty.

We replaced all of our 650s with 1050s years ago. Even though most of our production is now on Camdex and Ammoload equipment, the 1050s are still here. We use them for smaller volume runs. Back at the changeover from 650 to 1050, having to go ‘backward’ to use a 650 for a batch seemed like punishment. The 1050 is that much better of a machine. Buy the 1050 today, get the bulletfeeder when you can. One less thing to fiddle with on initial setup of your 1050. 

Now, onto Dillon warranty. Free parts are nice. Not constantly needing free parts is nicer. Buy a maintenance kit or two to start. Pay attention to the force needed to run the machine empty. Use clean, lubed brass and don’t worry about setting speed records. The amount of crashes that break parts goes way, way down. For anyone who has used both a 650 and a 1050, the difference in warranties is a non-issue. One year of production at your level, will find any manufacturing flaws, undue wear, etc. Again, buythe 1050 today.

Did I mention buy the 1050? Today. 

30 minutes ago, fal72con said:

We replaced all of our 650s with 1050s years ago. Even though most of our production is now on Camdex and Ammoload equipment, the 1050s are still here. We use them for smaller volume runs. Back at the changeover from 650 to 1050, having to go ‘backward’ to use a 650 for a batch seemed like punishment. The 1050 is that much better of a machine. Buy the 1050 today, get the bulletfeeder when you can. One less thing to fiddle with on initial setup of your 1050. 

Now, onto Dillon warranty. Free parts are nice. Not constantly needing free parts is nicer. Buy a maintenance kit or two to start. Pay attention to the force needed to run the machine empty. Use clean, lubed brass and don’t worry about setting speed records. The amount of crashes that break parts goes way, way down. For anyone who has used both a 650 and a 1050, the difference in warranties is a non-issue. One year of production at your level, will find any manufacturing flaws, undue wear, etc. Again, buythe 1050 today.

Did I mention buy the 1050? Today. 

So, if I'm not mistaken here, you are saying he should buy a 1050...  today?

😎

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I personally was favouring the 1050 over the 650, but needed a push to justify the price difference 😋

I've loaded on 650s and don't really like the primer system. The fact that the 1050 has a better primer system is quite a big deal for me.

As for the lifetime warranty, I've had my 550 for years now and never needed it...

Thanks to all for the feedback.
I personally was favouring the 1050 over the 650, but needed a push to justify the price difference [emoji39]
I've loaded on 650s and don't really like the primer system. The fact that the 1050 has a better primer system is quite a big deal for me.

That is a good enough reason!

I suggest keeping the 550 to load other calibers or do load development.

I still use my 550 and 650 quite a bit to avoid conversion expense and setup time on the 1050s.

I have a 650 with a bullet feeder I made on my cnc works great, but just bought a 1050 and currently setting up with another bullet feeder I made for that one,     side by side the 650 looks like a toy compared to the 1050 it's defiantly a heavy duty commercial type machine that is built with precision.      Not that I don't like the 650 because it is a great machine, but the 1050 is in another world by itself.   going to post some pictures of my set up as soon as I get the 1050 running.     

I have an RL 1050 (1999) and wanted to load 308, therefore I bought a 650, after one week I realized how spoiled I was with the 1050, sold it in this forum and bought a Super 1050.

Short answer: 1050 hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I have both, but the 1050 hands down is the best machine. I have bullet feeders on both which makes them great, but the 1050 primer system and priming on the down stroke is the cats meow. Don’t get me wrong the 650 is a good machine, but I would never give up my 1050. Good luck with your purchase 

after owning a 1050 for a couple of weeks,  I would go 1050 all the way and add the bullet feeder later the 650 and 1050 are two completely different animals.   even thought the 650 is a really nice machine it feels like a toy along side the 650.   would love to try and use a mark7 just to see if it's one step beyond the 1050. Maybe in a few years after they get all the bugs worked out of manufacture and get some stock built up.   

The best advice that I ignored for a long time was to get a 1050!!  I loaded on a 650 for years but finally broke down and purchased a 1050.  I can tell you that I regretted not getting a 1050 and loading on the 650s for as long as I did.  If your budget allows, go wtih the 1050 and add a bullet feeder later.  In the long run you'll be glad you did!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback.

Damn, looks like I really have to go down the 1050 route. was hoping you'd talk me out of it 🤣

I have an excellent kidney for sale, lightly used, still got lots of mileage in it!

Honestly I had intended to run the bulletfeeder on my 1050, but don't really feel like I'm that slowed down by feeding by hand, that and I like the powder alarm. I figured if I decide down the road I wanted the bulletfeeder to buy it used or buy one of the 3d printed ones for significantly less. But again, it really hasn't bothered me much.