Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Position "standing in box"

CalTeacher

5 minutes ago, CalTeacher said:

I see no rulings in that link, only a set of magazines that I don’t subscribe to.  I provided the link to NROI rulings from USPSA.  

I’ve still seen zero documentation that you can start with one foot in and one foot out of the starting position stipulates “standing in box.”  Why would “behind” mean fully uprange and within the confines of the edge of a table while “standing in box” means standing with one foot out of the box?

Did you talk to Troy? Ask him your questions.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CalTeacher said:

I’ve still seen zero documentation that you can start with one foot in and one foot out of the starting position stipulates “standing in box.”  Why would “behind” mean fully uprange and within the confines of the edge of a table while “standing in box” means standing with one foot out of the box?

It doesn't mean that. You are right; don't let these guys make you crazy. They live to drive DNROI nuts. The "on the grass" example is dumb. "On" and "in" are two completely different prepositions with clearly different meanings. I've been over all the rulings, and there's nothing there that contradicts the clear meaning of "in the box."

1 hour ago, CalTeacher said:

I see no rulings in that link, only a set of magazines that I don’t subscribe to.  I provided the link to NROI rulings from USPSA.

Your choice. There is a great deal of rules related information on questions like the topic at hand directly from the USPSA NROI director that you are deciding not to be aware of. 

I'm not sure what triggers a formal ruling versus just an answer with explanation, I suspect it is when Troy or his predecessor saw something as particularly important or widespread or not already covered, but that is just a guess. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

2 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I don't think anyone wants to ask Troy if one foot outside of the box qualifies you as inside the box.

That's ridiculous.

Well, he says one foot in is out of the box...

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Well, he says one foot in is out of the box...

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I've never heard him say that...  and I've never read that it is acceptable.

If you have a reference, post it.

https://uspsa.org/magazine/display//2016-05

Page 6. 1 foot in is out in regard to fault lines which I assume would be what you have if the box defines a shooting area. 

Whether 1 foot out is in if the box defines a start position, I dunno. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

35 minutes ago, Bighpmaa said:

10.2.1. "Until the competitor establishs a presence in new shooting area with at least one foot on the ground inside the new shooting area." This line defines presence in an area is determined by one foot.

No, that line determines that presence in an area for the purposes of that rule is defined by one foot. 10.2.1 says nothing about starting positions, hence the confusion/disagreement that arises in threads like this one.