Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Kydex Holster

Adamj

Looked around and cannot find much recent discussion centered on a kydex holster for an open gun. I'm about to put in an order for an Atlas Chaos and would like to have a kydex holster built. I wanted to see if anyone had any extensive experience with one.

In my local matches hot reholstering is frequently beneficial. I went from level two retention holstering and I'm nervous about my open gun bouncing out and beating me to my position. So does anyone currently use one that they can recomend?

Looked around and cannot find much recent discussion centered on a kydex holster for an open gun. I'm about to put in an order for an Atlas Chaos and would like to have a kydex holster built. I wanted to see if anyone had any extensive experience with one.

In my local matches hot reholstering is frequently beneficial. I went from level two retention holstering and I'm nervous about my open gun bouncing out and beating me to my position. So does anyone currently use one that they can recomend?
why the Atlas for open minor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a kydex open holster a buddy made for me. It's on the aandabooks belt hanger, as bought on ebay. I have the retention turned up pretty tight. I don't know of any true security holsters for an open gun. The Nerd Urn might be the nearest commercially available option.

Edited by OPENB

It's entirely possible that there are other options out there that I've missed, but based on the relatively small amount of research I've done, I agree with OPENB - I think that the Nerd Urn is the only off-the-shelf model I've seen.

I'm personally hesitant about holsters without active retention for 3 gun, but I know that their non-Open 3 gun holster is backed up by a pretty decent guarantee - if you DQ because a pistol comes out of the holster, they'll refund your match fee. The product page for the Urn doesn't explicitly state that that same guarantee applies to that model - but if it does, it might be worth looking into.

I see alot of open guys using USPSA open holsters with active retention like Safariland 014, Ghost, DAA, etc. just because there aren't many other options than Nerd. And for the price of the Urn, you can get a great used USPSA holster (~$150). You just won't get much protective coverage around the gun. 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, Adamj said:

Robert with Red Hill Tactical says he has a holster for the Chaos in stock.......just FYI

I emailed Robert last week and he was great taking time to answer all my questions. He said that they did have one last holster in stock and no intention of producing anymore due to the difficulty in fitting the wide array of open gun sizes and add-ons. I would jump on it if it wasn't red and green... don't judge. 

I have a DAA Alpha X for USPSA, but my only hesitation is the difficulty in hot reholstering which I frequently do in my local matches. Although that was in Tac Ops and maybe my stage plans in Open won't require it as often. 

Thank you for the suggestion of the Urn and I agree that it looks like it might be the best off the shelf choice. I think I might just have to used to running with one hand on the gun. 

I emailed Weber Tactical and they said they should have an open holster for the Chaos available by the end of the year. I think I'm to wait on that model as I have been impressed with their stuff in the past. 

• 7 months later...

As an update I just had a guy local to me, FS Tactical, build a kydex holster for my Chaos. Haven't used it in a match,  but I've done everything I would and it hasn't budged. Very happy with the results. 

20190630_070619-1134x2016.jpg

Not sure if NERD has one or not for an open gun but I run one on my dvc 3 gun and it’s awesome. Got the adjustable studs to play with retention as well and so far, it’s been flawless.
5b8b9baf0d72f4ba2e186f0288fa2b77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I'm looking for a kydex holster for a Czechmate with the stock thumbrest and optic mount configuration.

The best answer in getting a kydex holster for an open gun seems to be finding someone local or sending the gun off to someone willing to do custom work. 

16 hours ago, mattmann said:

Not sure if NERD has one or not for an open gun but I run one on my dvc 3 gun and it’s awesome. Got the adjustable studs to play with retention as well and so far, it’s been flawless.
5b8b9baf0d72f4ba2e186f0288fa2b77.jpg

NERD makes the "URN" holster which is built around and for STI open pistols. I know a guy on YouTube modified one to work for an Atlas Chaos though.  

Their Coffin holster seems pretty great, but it just seems like you pay a little too much for the cool factor with their stuff. I didn't want to pay that much and then have to cut, heat, and mold it to fit my Chaos. 

NERD makes the "URN" holster which is built around and for STI open pistols. I know a guy on YouTube modified one to work for an Atlas Chaos though.  

Their Coffin holster seems pretty great, but it just seems like you pay a little too much for the cool factor with their stuff. I didn't want to pay that much and then have to cut, heat, and mold it to fit my Chaos. 

Fair enough!! I also have a lot of T5 kydex holsters. He actually lives close to me so I pick all mine up. He makes a TON of holsters. Go to his website (he’s also on Instagram) and shoot him an email. I bet he makes one but if he don’t, he will!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...