Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911/2011 pre travel setting

vgdvc

Hello all,

Has anyone experimented with setting the trigger pre-travel on a 1911/2011 style pistol to just enough forward movement for proper reset. If the majority of trigger press error happens during the pre travel take up wouldn't stand to reason to have it minimized as much as possible? Think of shooting quickly and accurately with a finely-tuned single stage AR-15 trigger versus a slow prep of a two-stage national match type setup. I realize some pro shooters such as JJ racaza teach to take up the pre travel while the gun is in recoil so the finger is resting against the trigger wall ready to break shot once the sites are aligned but to me that has become a fine motor skill that I can't ingrain as a sub conscious effort. Others like Leatham slap through the entire pre travel and trigger break even on long tight shots Thoughts, experiences?

I knew one guy who had zero pre-travel on his 1911 trigger.  I tried to tell him I didn't think that was safe.  He ignored me.  Until one day, he loaded his pistol, and when the first round went into the chamber, it went into full auto mode for three shots!  

You NEED a little pre-travel!  

Edited by Ken6PPC

In my opinion pre-travel is irrelevant from a shootability standpoint. My 2011 has probably 3/32" of pre-travel, but if it was twice that I probably wouldn't notice. I don't notice pre-travel on a Glock any more than I do on a 1911. Also, from a technical standpoint, in a 1911 you need to have some pre-travel or else your trigger bow would be resting on the sear at all times which would be rather unsafe. 

I find proper pre travel is critical, too much and I end up not getting to reset at times (and too little ends up with the hammer not catching the sear ?), I kind of ignored it for a long time but now I set it at around 0.010" and it's goldilocks for me (just right). It's all about your comfort zone. ?

• 2 months later...

I'm a trigger rider, meaning I don't take my finger off the trigger shoe between shots. Therefore a little pre travel is fine with me and preferred. I think the brazos article is spot on and what I followed with my edge. 

I agree with Keith, overtravel is more noticeable. After picking up a different gun/trigger a few shots and I'm already used to the "correct" amount of pre travel and how to stage the trigger for my preferences. It is nice to have a "wall" with the overtravel.

Pre and Over travel settings are a personal feel preference, once you have a functional trigger (see Brazos article) everything beyond that is what you like or believe will help you in some way.  for me I like having quite a bit of pre travel to the point that non of my triggers have adjustment tabs. when I'm shooting fast I don't feel any of it and when I'm shooting slower on difficult shots I can feel the trigger face as I move it to the sear wall 

3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Pre and Over travel settings are a personal feel preference, once you have a functional trigger (see Brazos article) everything beyond that is what you like or believe will help you in some way.  for me I like having quite a bit of pre travel to the point that non of my triggers have adjustment tabs. when I'm shooting fast I don't feel any of it and when I'm shooting slower on difficult shots I can feel the trigger face as I move it to the sear wall 

I like some pretravel also, in both my pistols and rifles, especially rifles. I like to prep/stack the trigge and find the wall, then realign my sights and then let it break. Little different with pistols cause we’re  shooting much faster.  I just don’t like it when it’s right on the wall and the first bit of pressure causes it to break. Like I have a bit of take up to find the wall. When I’m shooting fast I don’t even notice the pretravel since I’m usually just bouncing off the reset. But for longer shots I find it very helpful to have some. 

I realize having very little pre-travel may cause the hammer to drop when the trigger is pulled at half cock. There seems to be some discrepancy whether this would create a safety issue if tested at a level 2 on up match. Friend of mine just got a very nice limited pistol built by one of the more popular gun builders of today. His trigger was set up from the gunsmith with hardly any pre-travel and it would definitely drop the hammer if the trigger was pulled at half cock 

He was told this is a non-issue and safe. Too little overtravel and the hammer hooks will bump the half catch notch.