Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection advice

Hipstur006

Hey guys/girls, I have hearing aids and am looking for the best option for me for ear muffs.  Inside the ear type cannot happen, has to regular muffs. The kicker is I am about to begin shooting open and understand most people double up the ear protection.. my question is does anyone have some advice for some muffs that offer as much “voice/timer beep” clarity and volume as possible while also doing the job of silencing the loud report from the compensators... price is no issue, I have been using walkers razors and feel that they arnt really doing the job, thanks!

I wear hearing aids and muffs.   Believe it or not, the hearing aids act as a form of hearing protection.

They click off when a loud noise occurs, just like ear muffs.

I spent a bunch of money on muffs that were electronic, so I could "hear" better, but found that I

never turn them on, because I can hear just fine with my hearing aids in and muffs on.

Unless you want to have long conversations with the muffs on, you really don't need electronic

muffs - you'll probably be able to hear pretty well with your hearing aids in.     :) 

13 hours ago, Hipstur006 said:

I don’t care about talking to people as being able to hear the beeeeep real well...

That's where I am, also.

If you wear The Best earmuffs in the world, you'll still hear the beep with your hearing aids in.

Don't have to spend all the money on electronic muffs - the beep will go thru your muffs right into your hearing aids.    :) 

I too wear hearing aids, and the Walker Silencers distort sounds more than I like.  If it isn't too hot, I use Howard Leight Impact Pros.  They are clearer than the Silencers, but I still want in-ear protectors that are cooler than muffs, and better than the Silencers.  

My hearing aids are pretty much top of the line, but they don't shut off with high noise levels.  They simply amplify them, and that is NOT good while shooting.  

I haven't tried these, but have been REALLY interested in them.  https://www.espamerica.com/  Anyone have personal experience with these?  They are supposed to be designed to work as hearing aids, but also for protection from gunfire.  

MSA are really comfortable and do the job. 

They run 250ish and are well worth it to me. I can hear clearly and block open guns really well. They use a gel type insert around the ear so you don’t get the pinch like most muffs. 

With outside the ear muffs you are pretty much limited to 33 dB reduction.  You can do a little better if you can tolerate muffs that squeeze your head.  Electronic muffs do not have that much noise attenuation, so I don't use them.  33 dB is enough, unless you are ROing.  I double plug with a custom molder inside the ear plug and HL muffs.  I end up with 37-38 dB of attenuation, and can still hear the beep.

I have the MSA Sordins with the Gel Ear Cups, and they are good.  Comfortable and well built.  However, the Pro Ears Gold that I have are still better for noise cancellation.

I wish they would combine the construction of the Sordins with the electronics of the Pro Ears.

I have also tried the Howard Leights... they're good and well constructed, but I prefer the other two over the HL Sports.

• 2 weeks later...

Im an open shooter and I do double muff, personally I used Peltor Sport Tactical 300s with the gels cup. I have been very happy with them so far. The dynamic sound suppression is very nice for shooting both indoor and outdoor.  You can get the muffs and the gel cups for under $150, for the price they are hard to beat. 

I mostly shoot open and use the Peltor Sport Tactical 500, with gel pads, on top of plugs. I like them a lot, especially the bluetooth connectivity. (I like listening to my tunes during pasting and setting steel.) 

Whatever you decide on, be sure to get something that has gel pads. It does make big difference IMO.