Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Staccato

FF112173

On 11/3/2018 at 3:02 AM, geraldskip said:

I’m cautiously optimistic for STI. They brought on Dave Dawson and Eddie Garcia which is a huge indicator to me that they are going in the right direction. 

If they made the staccato in a double stack I’d buy it. I don’t see the need for it right now. My Dan Wesson does everything this does but better in my opinion. 

When they brought Dave in back in the mid 90s (the first time), it helped a lot.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:
On 11/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, ACree said:
...and Trent makes a valid point and is why STI and other custom shops keep selling their products. If a person wants a gun to run and the gun runs, then their personal objective is met.

...... except that most STIs don't run. So....

Mine runs. 

Not sure when STI got a bad rep, but mine has been awesome. Circa 2012

24 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, ACree said:
...and Trent makes a valid point and is why STI and other custom shops keep selling their products. If a person wants a gun to run and the gun runs, then their personal objective is met.

Interesting statement. And what is this based on?

Just now, jchris4769 said:

Interesting statement. And what is this based on?

Almost every person I know that owns one? I have seen more cracked slides, comps, misdrilled frames, casting voids, and guns that just plain won't run with STI than anything else.

1 minute ago, Gooldylocks said:

Almost every person I know that owns one? I have seen more cracked slides, comps, misdrilled frames, casting voids, and guns that just plain won't run with STI than anything else.

Hmm ... do you happen to have any pictures of these or can you get some. They have a lifetime warranty and I would be happy to help the out getting those issues corrected.

1 hour ago, jchris4769 said:

Hmm ... do you happen to have any pictures of these or can you get some. They have a lifetime warranty and I would be happy to help the out getting those issues corrected.

I don't have any pictures, I don't own any of them. Most of them have all been or are currently being repaired by STI, I don't have any qualms with their customer service. But I am definitely not a fan of the product itself. 

I saw my share of STI's come through my business for all sorts of issues. The biggest problem that I saw with STI lately was that they have put more emphasis on production than quality. Cracked comps, cracked slides, MIM internals with visible voids, hammer and sear pin holes so badly misaligned that there was no way to ever get both hammer hooks to engage, thumb safeties with poorly cut sear engagement surfaces. STI needs to re-focus on producing a better product. With all of these small gun shops opening and producing a much better product they could stand to loose their foothold. I think we are doing ourselves a disservice when we are satisfied with it just running. 

With the amount STI is charging, you are better off buying a Cheely frame, Caspian slide, plenty polimer grips for cheap out there and have a gunsmith put it together for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, jchris4769 said:

I've had at least 3 that come to mind, two they warrantied, the last one they would not.  These were all 3 + years ago.

At that point I went with CK, or PT frames and Caspian slides.  Problem solved.  Something breaks take a picture send an email and the part is replaced or gun is fixed and not in several months, but in weeks.  That why I don't buy or use sti any longer.

I have a great hope that as Mr. Dawson is more involved and invested in STI things will return to properly built guns and parts.

At this point the only sti thing I own is magazines, I figured out how to get them to run and have kept them.  Though I like SV mags better FWIW

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone I know knows you have to have some 1911 gunsmith skills to figure out why your sti 1911 ain’t running right. I have a Trojan 9mm that I nicknamed the “jammomatic”. Still can’t figure out why it sucks. My Les Baer runs flawlessly. [emoji2960]

On 11/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, Gooldylocks said:
On 11/15/2018 at 1:56 PM, ACree said:

Hmmm, my STI Edge had been  running through almost 35K rounds (except for a broken extractor which got replaced). Also, know bunch of guys I shoot with that have Edges that they have been happy with. Recently got a DVC Carry and so far it has run through 1K rounds without any issues (though that is not enough rounds for a torture test), it will be a CCW gun so will not have a huge amount of rounds through it like my competition guns.

I shot the Stacco at Nationals. If I didn't live in Commifornia I would have ordered one. It is sweet handling and almost no recoil.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bought a Staccato last month,had some probs with FTF so I called STI. Told me it might be breakin so I shot a few hundred more rounds and had a couple more of FTF.so I called STI,very helpful and understanding,so I sent it back to them.Guess what,they sent me a brand new Staccato,better finish upgrade,new bag and extra mags.Ive had a Trojan for 5-6 years .probably 1000 rounds  with no probs.Decided to try the Staccato cause Ive been carrying a P-365 and XDS.always been a 1911 fan but over the years ive shied away due to living on the coast and my internal parts rusting.also the Staccato is SOOOO LIGHT.very accurate and feels awesome.it is going to be my EDC.I cant say enuf for the service at STI. dont know what you guys are hearing but I Own 2 and their customer service is off the charts.thanks to STI

1 hour ago, donnieo said:

bought a Staccato last month,had some probs with FTF so I called STI. Told me it might be breakin so I shot a few hundred more rounds and had a couple more of FTF.so I called STI,very helpful and understanding,so I sent it back to them.Guess what,they sent me a brand new Staccato,better finish upgrade,new bag and extra mags.Ive had a Trojan for 5-6 years .probably 1000 rounds  with no probs.Decided to try the Staccato cause Ive been carrying a P-365 and XDS.always been a 1911 fan but over the years ive shied away due to living on the coast and my internal parts rusting.also the Staccato is SOOOO LIGHT.very accurate and feels awesome.it is going to be my EDC.I cant say enuf for the service at STI. dont know what you guys are hearing but I Own 2 and their customer service is off the charts.thanks to STI

Thanks for the info, I'll be placing an order on one this week...

I have a Stacatto C.  It's crazy accurate (guessing ~1" at 25 yards) and runs every sort of 9 ammo I've put through it-- JHP, FMJ, EFMJ, TSJ, Hexagons and even some tracers and random junk from the ammo drawer.  Supposedly this one has the 'New Dawson Process'  Slide-frame-barrel fit and if so, it's worth it.

1911 9mm mags work if you want 10+1 rounds.  It's not as nice for match shooting as a custom 41.9 oz 5" SS-legal 9mm, but few things are, and its way better as a carry gun.

When they get the full size ones out it will be interesting to compare against a steel frame SS since you'll be able to move the weight around.