Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Staccato

FF112173

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/30/2018 at 10:08 AM, DesertTortoise said:

I think they are marketing this as a high end carry gun for folks with 10 round magazine restrictions. It looks like a "budget" option over the Wilson EDC 9.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking...the EDC9 at half the cost...sorta.  I don't know if this would make me want to sell a Commander, but I'm sure curious. 

Edited by sheepdog
spellling....

Sorry to hear you say that about STI.

The slide on my Edge broke after 2+ years and 35k rounds.  No questions asked, returned it and since they couldn't fit a new slide to my frame, they gave me a new gun.  That in itself is good, however, what REALLY impressed me, was they bought and installed a new Manny Dot front sight, a new Swenson thumb safety.  I know they were new as my old ones were all beat up.

Sure it took about 3 months, but to me, that is how you take care of your customers.

This year, STI is going through some major changes to increase quality out the door.  I have heard many good things about recent guns that have been shipped and received by friends that shoot them.  One friend even bough 2 DVC Opens and shoots them in place of his custom Open gun.

Triggers are a little heavy, but it had a good, crisp feel. (for a manufacturers trigger)

I’m cautiously optimistic for STI. They brought on Dave Dawson and Eddie Garcia which is a huge indicator to me that they are going in the right direction. 

If they made the staccato in a double stack I’d buy it. I don’t see the need for it right now. My Dan Wesson does everything this does but better in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, geraldskip said:

I’m cautiously optimistic for STI. They brought on Dave Dawson and Eddie Garcia which is a huge indicator to me that they are going in the right direction. 

If they made the staccato in a double stack I’d buy it. I don’t see the need for it right now. My Dan Wesson does everything this does but better in my opinion. 

There was no need for it to be a double stack, they have the DVC Carry. 

As as far as it’s performance against your Dan Wesson, have you shot the Staccato yet to compare them? If not you’re just speculating. Remember, this was designed as a self defense gun and not a competition piece. 

7 hours ago, FF112173 said:

There was no need for it to be a double stack, they have the DVC Carry. 

As as far as it’s performance against your Dan Wesson, have you shot the Staccato yet to compare them? If not you’re just speculating. Remember, this was designed as a self defense gun and not a competition piece

Oh you’re absolutely right. I am 100% speculating because I haven’t seen one out in the wild. It’s an Internet forum. 

But if this gun is just an officer sized 1911....how could it be different? And the DW Valkyrie is also a purpose built  self defense gun. 

I guess my big question is while I think them incorporating the 2011 frame into a single stack is neat, what does it benefit vs a normal 1911 frame? How is better? I see it’s slightly lighter...but is that it?

And a $1500 single stack is absolutely different than a $3000 double stack carry model. If they could make the staccato c as a sub $2000 double stack I would be all over it. That would be a huge contender against the Wilson EDC X9 and I would shell out the extra cash to increase my current mag capacity from 9 rounds to 15. 

The staccato c seems to be a high quality CCO. Nothing wrong with that and it’s nice to see. Just not really a “new” market position. If that makes any sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 12:51 AM, geraldskip said:

Have you shot other 9mm 1911s? How did it compare?

I’ve shot many 9mm 1911s and this is my favorite compact version I’ve shot by a mile. It cycles like my 2011s smooth and fast. Will definitely be buying one 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, AndyG said:

I'm avoiding STI for the foreseeable future. I've had issues with them not warranting their products.

Hi Andy, sorry to hear you are not happy with STI. What did you have that they would not warranty?

1 hour ago, jchris4769 said:

Hi Andy, sorry to hear you are not happy with STI. What did you have that they would not warranty?

Pitting on a hard Chrome Trojan. Sold it to an IDPA shooter then I got a message saying they would fix it after I was originally denied. Put a real sour taste in my mouth as I sold it at a big discount...

20181015_084224.jpg

If you have ever dealt with any company and warranty issues, you know it’s all about who you talk to. 

Different employees say different things. It’s unfortunately just how it is. 

If if someone says no, call back and try to talk to someone else. 

32 minutes ago, CCG said:

Having seen the insides of a lot of STI guns, I just cannot get excited about them anymore....

All joking aside, would those insides be understandable or acceptable in a $1500 gun rather than the current prices on 2011s?  I'm not on my way out to buy one and only have owned a Spartan and Trojan (both a lot less than $1500 insides and outsides but ran) and the 2011 guys I know don't complain-but that was 2011s from a few years ago.  I'm not questioning your judgment, I'm actually looking for more insight.  I've considered a 9mm SS of some sort and this looked like it made sense.   Keep seeing new people and news out of Georgetown and wonder.  Like most Texans, having a GOOD gun that is made here appeals to me. 

Edited by sheepdog

All joking aside, would those insides be understandable or acceptable in a $1500 gun rather than the current prices on 2011s?  I'm not on my way out to buy one and only have owned a Spartan and Trojan (both a lot less than $1500 insides and outsides but ran) and the 2011 guys I know don't complain-but that was 2011s from a few years ago.  I'm not questioning your judgment, I actually looking for more insight.  I've considered a 9mm SS of some sort and this looked like it made sense.   Keep seeing new people and news out of Georgetown and wonder.  Like most Texans, having a GOOD gun that is made here appeals to me. 

The Spartan and Trojan models were something that was not actually manufactured by STI (made on subcontract out of the Philippines). But they put their name on them so they own it. I would invite anybody with doubts to check out the current line. With the new management and staff in place, quality control has been a main focus for the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on both sides of the 1911/2011 market as a consumer and as a past builder. I have seen some horrific work and quality standards from some big names in the custom market. It is hard for me to support STI at this time because of the problems that I have seen - poorly fitted barrels, grossly unevenly drilled hammer and sear pin holes, improper hammer hook and sear engagement, etc. There are a lot of them out there, but plenty of them are run back through a custom shop or gunsmith to have some of the issues corrected. 

The Spartan was made in the Philippines, but I'm pretty sure the Trojan was made in the US.  My Trojan still runs like a champ and the only time i look at the inside is when I'm cleaning it.

I pay for performance.

That’s right, I misspoke about the Trojan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk