Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Night Shoot Match

What kind of handguard do you have?  As in, can you mount using M-Lok and such?  I haven’t used it other than practicing clearing my house when the rest of the family isn’t home, but I use an old Fenix PD25 in a magpul V-block/cantilever M-Lok mounted at 10-ish o’clock (that would be 2-ish o’clock for righties) on the handguard next to my front iron sight and find it very comfortable and lightweight.  It works well with the thumb over grip I’m used to— just rotate the wrist a smidge more and activate the tailcap with my thumb.  I might upgrade to a new PD25 in the future, as I’m using one for EDC and it’s the best light ever.  I just have my old one on the gun since that used to be my EDC and I like it well enough still that I haven’t replaced it yet. The Magpul mount is nice because it is easily removable when not needed.  I’d like to use this setup in a night match but haven’t had the opportunity. 

If you’re looking for a good light and are interested in Fenix send me a PM as I’m an ambassador and can provide a discount code.  

I highly recommend the PD25 (550 lumens, rechargeable battery, tactical tail switch, very lightweight) for this application as well as EDC.  It’s possible to get a red filter for it too.  The PD35 (regular model, not tactical) should be a good choice as well if you want 1000 lumens but it uses two CR123 type batteries vs one so the weight will be heavier.  

Personally I get a little concerned about overdoing the lumens as you can get reflective “splash back” in gunsmoke , barricades, etc. which might affect your night vision.  I learned that from previous night shooting experience.  The nice thing about both these models is they are easily adjustable with a side switch so they can be dialed down if necessary due to smoke, etc.  This way you can choose high lumens or lower depending on the situation.  

Edited by jkrispies

I would also recommend mounting a green laser in addition to the light.  I tried a red laser, but discovered I could not see it through the C-more lens, it was still useful for 'stock on belt' starts with close targets.  I was able to start shooting without shouldering the PCC.  John Wayne would have been proud!  The green laser is much more visible and is handy for hard leans and awkward positions where you can't really get behind the gun.

All sounds good, thanks.  I already have a green laser mounted.  Because time is short, I am thinking of duct tape to hold the light for the time being.  I like the idea of actuation by rotating my wrist a little to turn it on.

Any more thoughts are welcome.  I have two days before the match. ?

5 hours ago, BartCarter said:

Because time is short, I am thinking of duct tape to hold the light for the time being.  

Any more thoughts are welcome.  I have two days before the match. ?

Don't use Duct tape!  I'm sure a lot of places locally have one inch rings with an attachment you can use to secure your light.

I have shot several.

Green laser is the way to go. That way you can see both in the red dot separate. Don't go too overboard on the lumens as the smoke and reflection off barricades can be tough. Have a good head lamp. Depends on the start. some are totally dark, others headlamp on and then turn light/laser, & some start with lights/lasers on. Red dot will start on. Headlamp is a good back up in case the light goes down. Duct tape will work along with zip ties, but good mount is helpful, in the heat of battle turning it on if it is not solid you will move or push it. Really don't want it laying on the ground in the dark. 

Most of the time your red dot turned down with a light is faster than the laser, and can see targets with no problems, but the laser is nice and works better for certain starts and targets. Location is important if you have to turn it on after the clock starts, don't want to be fumbling around with it.

They are a blast.

gerritm

I have a good KeyMod handguard with Picatinny rail sections.  I'll pick up a light mount today and should be set.

My laser is green and my red dot is adjustable, so I should be good to go.  I'll do some preliminary testing tonight.

Taking notes to be prepared.  ?

I have shot 2 pistol+rifle night matches. Streamlight TLR-1HL on my pistol, Streamlight HL-X on rifle. I don't bother with visible lasers personally, although a couple people in my squad used them with varying degrees of success. One of the matches had some snowfall, which made shooting farther than 70yd with rifle impossibly difficult. 

For rifle light mounting, I suggest 11 or 1 o'clock mounting if possible. This keeps the barrel shadow to a minimum, and allows you to use a push button tail cap if you don't want to use a tape switch. 

2 hours ago, STIboy said:

I would suggest not trying to use an ACOG.  Took a carbine course some years back that included a night session, and was quite surprised (well, duh!) when the reticle illumination of my 1.5x ACOG disappeared once my weapon light was turned on.

Tape a small chemlight to the top of the ACOG and you are back in business

12 or 6 o clock with the light, if there are ANY close walls/doors to shoot around the further you are from either of this 2 the worse it will be.

If possible start on the down wind targets first. Move into the wind.
A green laser is great for close stuff, depending on the weather conditions it will hurt on long range. You will see a big green halo, many times blocking out the target.

Thanks all for the suggestions.  Got an offset KeyMod flashlight holder mounted at about 2:00.  Had a blast at the night shoot.  Only problem was some longer distance targets that didn't require much movement to transition from target to target.  Got a little smokey.  Maybe someone makes a "smokeless" powder for night shooting. ?