Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tacos are stupid

Hah! Got you to look. Of course tacos are great. But what isn’t great: they usually crumble apart, and, it’s nearly impossible to get everything in each bite.

Been experimenting with a fix for a while. This is a good one.

As a side note, I like this recipe with ground turkey, which is the only way I’ve found to enjoy ground turkey.

Of course, the key ingredient is a packet of McCormick Original Taco Seasoning Mix.

Follow the instructions on it for making the meat. With these changes… 

Brown / soften half of a chopped yellow onion in butter or ghee. (I’ve become a ghee man.) Remove from pan when done.

Brown and season / salt the meat (in the same pan).

When the meat is done, instead of adding 3/4 cup of water, substitute: 1/2 cup of chicken broth. And also add one can of El Pato Salsa De Chile Fresco:

https://www.amazon.com/El-Pato-Mexican-Tomato-Fresco/dp/B004VO9R3M?th=1

Also add the onions and the seasoning packet. Simmer the mix down for about 5 minutes.

To serve… Layer a plate or bowl with your favorite refried beans. These are our favorite:

https://www.amazon.com/Amys-Organic-Refried-Beans-Traditional/dp/B000G176DC?th=1

Add a layer of cheese and microwave until done. Then add a layer of the taco mix. Now you are all set. Scoop each bite with your favorite corn chip.

This recipe really doesn’t need salsa (because the modified taco mix is flavor-packed). But add a layer of your favorite salsa and even some shredded lettuce (between the cheese and the taco mix) if so inclined.

Dos Gringo's Trailer Park, back when it was across the street from ASU (kinda next to the Chuck Box), used to put all the ingredients into an unfried corn tortilla (veggies and all), clamp it up in some kinda magic fryer basket and dunk the whole thing into the fryer.  It came out crispy, held together, and was pretty damn good.  Freaked me out the first time I saw them do that though ?

1 hour ago, DKnoch said:

The tacos we make at home are hardshell, then a layer of queso (and anything else you want to add) then a soft shell around it. Seems to help hold it together pretty well

Start with a soft taco, coat it with bean dip and wrap it around your crunchy taco.

Or start with raw corn tortillas and fry them in a skillet with just a little oil.. They should turn out crispy but hold together.

Or start from scratch with masa harina and water. Start with equal parts and a pinch or two of salt and mix til you have a stiff dough. Add a couple tablespoons of bacon grease for flavor. (Optional) break off and roll small balls of dough (about 2") and roll them flat. Fry in a skillet til crispy.

For taco seasoning mix, start with a small can of tomato paste or an 8 oz. can of V8. add minced onion, pressed garlic and smoked Hungarian paprika. Then add your favorite spices and chilis for heat.

Edited by Dranoel

3 hours ago, benos said:

Hah! Got you to look. Of course tacos are great. But what isn’t great: they usually crumble apart, and, it’s nearly impossible to get everything in each bite.

Been experimenting with a fix for a while. 

Um.... somebody clearly hasn’t learned to fry his corn tortillas.