Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Babayaga

Romeo1 Shroud

Recommended Posts

Is the shroud for the R1 worth getting?  I just got my R1 and love it. I’ve heard and read that the glass sometimes takes a beating from the brass.  Will the shroud help with that?  Will the shroud work on an X5/R1 setup?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt it will help much with brass hitting the optic. Maybe a little. Def would protect it somewhat from a drop or bumping into something. I think more then anything it makes it look cool. Anything beyond that I doubt it will make a huge difference. The price is a little steep for what it is imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Romeo1 is a bit lacking in the robust department as many have said. To protect it from a fall would make it worth it. Yes the R1 has a warranty but sending things back to Sig has it's own issues.

 

As far as helping with the glass strikes, I would imagine it will help. Most strikes are on outer edge of metal or just inside the glass. The shroud extends past the current foot print and should help. 

 

It will drop right on the R1/X5.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can let you know as soon as Optics Planet quits extending their "expected ship date" on the two I ordered well over a month ago...

 

Yes, any slide that is cut for the R1 will accept the R1 nested into the shroud. The shroud doesn't change the base footprint of the optic;

 

IMG_2821.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks thin but I wonder if longer screws are needed. #opticsplanetsucks :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, Posvar said:

It looks thin but I wonder if longer screws are needed. #opticsplanetsucks :)

 

 

I wonder too.

thanks for the responses 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 11:40 AM, Rudukai13 said:

I can let you know as soon as Optics Planet quits extending their "expected ship date" on the two I ordered well over a month ago...

 

I just got the "ready to ship" notice on the Shrouds I ordered in March. Unfortunately, the price no longer shows the discount I was given, so I now await their response to my inquiry. At leats it seems Sig is finally starting to crank them out, so hopefully your wait will be over by the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been running my P320 RX duty pistol with a shroud for about 3 weeks.  Re-holstering is not a smooth but I do like the greater level of protection it offers.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received my Romeo1 from Optics Planet, but was told that the shroud would be another 5-7 weeks. I wonder what is up with that? I get that they are relatively new, but these should be pretty easy to stamp out and bend in large quantities.

 

If the demand is *that* great for these protective covers, that tells me something about the robustness of the Romeo1 itself. Not a good sign...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just received my Romeo1 from Optics Planet, but was told that the shroud would be another 5-7 weeks. I wonder what is up with that? I get that they are relatively new, but these should be pretty easy to stamp out and bend in large quantities.
 
If the demand is *that* great for these protective covers, that tells me something about the robustness of the Romeo1 itself. Not a good sign...
Romeo 1 is pretty tough. I don't think that's the issue. They probably just misjudged the demand and might be sending them to military or LE before civilians.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

Romeo 1 is pretty tough. I don't think that's the issue. They probably just misjudged the demand and might be sending them to military or LE before civilians.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

 

This is my guess.

 

BTW, the OEM plastic lens cover will not work with the shroud installed, will it?  I know some people do not bother but it is nice to have a cover when it is raining (or s shower cap is even better lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

Romeo 1 is pretty tough. I don't think that's the issue. They probably just misjudged the demand and might be sending them to military or LE before civilians.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

 

4 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

 

This is my guess.

 

BTW, the OEM plastic lens cover will not work with the shroud installed, will it?  I know some people do not bother but it is nice to have a cover when it is raining (or s shower cap is even better lol).

 

 

Thanks guys, I sure hope so... I know I am just being paranoid, but I have read a lot of both positive *and* negative press on the Romeo1. I just need to test for myself and not pay attention to that stuff, but it can be hard to ignore.

 

Did not think about the plastic cover. They need to make one to fit with the shroud, and in fact, it should come standard with the shroud if you ask me. I wonder how hard it would be to get one designed for a 3-D printer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the mini dots have minor issues, for me personally, if they would make the Romeo 1 with the glass size of the Romeo 3 it would be perfect.  I recently just ditched my shroud.  I didn't like how much vision it took and so far my Romeo 1 has been pretty hardy.  I will say this.  I've owned about all the mini dots, the Romeo 3 has taken more of a beating than most; it's basically a shell deflector on my Sig X-5, so it's not being played nice with, but it hasn't lost zero yet and is still on the original battery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doublehelix said:

 

 

 

Thanks guys, I sure hope so... I know I am just being paranoid, but I have read a lot of both positive *and* negative press on the Romeo1. I just need to test for myself and not pay attention to that stuff, but it can be hard to ignore.

 

Did not think about the plastic cover. They need to make one to fit with the shroud, and in fact, it should come standard with the shroud if you ask me. I wonder how hard it would be to get one designed for a 3-D printer?

Yeah, I agree that SIG should include a cover that fits on the shroud. I did not like the OEM plastic cover, thinking that I would lose it during my first outing, so I made a simple hood with a 3D printer and it covers the whole body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sig should have included the shroud with the romeo 1 too. Add that to the list of things they should have included.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

Yeah, I agree that SIG should include a cover that fits on the shroud. I did not like the OEM plastic cover, thinking that I would lose it during my first outing, so I made a simple hood with a 3D printer and it covers the whole body.

 

So you did make a cover that covers the whole body *with* the shroud, or *without* the shroud?

 

If it is with the shroud, you should make a few more and sell them!!! I'd buy one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have four Romeo1's with shrouds now, and don't miss the use of the plastic cover one bit.  It's a useless, easy to lose, ill-fitting item to begin with.

 

If people *really* need a cover, like standing around in rain in a match, then something like a neoprene elastic ScopeCoat cover with a tether to the holster would be a lot better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys

When you fitted your R1 shrouds was there any need to adjust the dot for elevation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, terrydoc said:

Hi Guys

When you fitted your R1 shrouds was there any need to adjust the dot for elevation.

 

You will need to re-zero once the shroud is installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, MAP said:

 

You will need to re-zero once the shroud is installed.

Now that enough time has passed since last post, how do you guys like the Romeo 1 shroud? Is it worth getting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...