Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bell width for coated

Tnbb33

What bell width do you use for coated 9mm? Using Dillion dies with MBF funnel. Projectiles are .356.

Was getting occasional scrap of coating. If I open up the bell/flare I’m hitting the seating die walls. 

Edited by Tnbb33

It sounds like you have plenty of Bell on your case mouth. I set the width of my case mouth flare large enough to just not hit on the mouth of my seating die. I use a Redding Competition seating die. Occasionally I will get a bullet scrap the coating off on the side but that is because the bullet is sitting at an angle not any where near straight up and down. When it enters the die it scrap the coating off. Are you seating and crimping in one operation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the MBF expander, I've found that the barest minimum bell is best.  If you are hand placing the bullet in the case, you have to be very sure it is dead vertical.  It's easy to get coated bullets slightly cocked if you are not careful.  Even if you are, it is still possible to get some shaving for no other reason than the coating was not even.  Also, if you are using mixed range brass, know that some case walls are thicker than others and may spring back slightly after being expanded.

Thanks for the link.  Trying to get actual measurements for the same type of set up and dies. Wanting to see if flare is causing the shaving or bullet placement.

Edited by Tnbb33

On 9/16/2018 at 3:56 PM, Tnbb33 said:

Thanks for the link.  Trying to get actual measurements for the same type of set up and dies. Wanting to see if flare is causing the shaving or bullet placement.

Are you using range brass?

If you are, the case length will be different depending on brand and how many times it has been fired.

If you happen to set your die up to bell on a long case, the bell will be less on a short case causing your problem.

I measure a bunch of brass to find the shortest one and then set my bell on it. That cured the problem for me that

you are having.

13 minutes ago, mauk517 said:

Great advice, Ill do that since I use range brass.

I get occasional sticking of the brass when I bell the case and fill.

I was wondering if that happens a lot and what I can do.

Do you case lube before sizing,

A 9mm case is tapered meaning it gets tighter as it goes into the sizing die.

I used One Shot lube for years. It was okay. Ran out of it and bought Lyman spray lube. MUCH better!

With out the lube, my Dillon would kind of stick on the way up when sizing. With the Lyman, nice smooth stroke.

I put about two hundred in a plastic tray, spray a little back and forth, then shake the box and start loading. Most

people say you can get lube into the cases causing contaminated powder. Been doing it this way for years with no problem.

I do flatten the cases in the tray but i'm sure some gets into the cases. USPSA and 3gun shooter so I load thousands of 9mm

and 40 rounds a year.

Good luck

I spray the container first then put in the cases and mix them around to coat.

I guess it sticks on the inside part when its making a bell on the case.  It gets caught on the way down like there is a bump which is the bell.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:02 PM, Tnbb33 said:

What bell width do you use for coated 9mm? Using Dillion dies with MBF funnel. Projectiles are .356.

Was getting occasional scrap of coating. If I open up the bell/flare I’m hitting the seating die walls. 

You can fix that by adjusting bell to somewhere between where you were and where you are. 

Bell It just enough for you to easily set the bullet in the case without falling over. That method has always served me well. 

I do want to try some lube on my 9mm cases. I’ve always thought that was stupid but I keep hearing of more people doing it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 7:40 AM, dmshozer1 said:

Are you using range brass?

If you are, the case length will be different depending on brand and how many times it has been fired.

If you happen to set your die up to bell on a long case, the bell will be less on a short case causing your problem.

I measure a bunch of brass to find the shortest one and then set my bell on it. That cured the problem for me that

you are having.

Good advice, tried this and it worked well. Yes using range brass.

• 2 weeks later...

When I tried coated with Dillon dies and mbf funnel I had to bell to .392 or else I’d get shaved bullets always found the shortest car to use to set the bell, I’ve since gone back to plated bullets and only bell to about .382 and have no issues.