Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap easy pvc target stand

41 minutes ago, tanks said:

I tried those from a video on Youtube. Found it a bit of a pain to disassemble after I was done as wood would get stuck.

So, I went to these which cost about the same in materials but easier to deal with.

I built some of them too!  I like them better than the PVC.  I found that the PVC were easily blown over in the Florida wind.

I have tried the PVC thing several times. Even filled the bottoms (Mine are 2" dia) with concrete to help with that blowing over thing. They work fine - till somebody shoots the bases. That will really screw your PVC dreams over!

Back to wood for me. No disassembly. Leave them on the range out of the way.

17 minutes ago, sweatpants said:

I prefer to copy the design that Alco Target uses.  They're lower to the ground so less likely to be shot and can be tilted for angle targets.

https://www.alcotarget.com/target-stand-base-pvc-24/

this is pretty smart, I like less material.

Wood stands are fine for paper but they are lightweight, where with PVC you could fill with sand and cap them. If you shoot steel though you will get a ton of lead and jacket frag in them, not fun to handle. 

2 hours ago, USPSA_Spiderman said:

Those look interesting.   Where do you buy the center cross fitting?  I don't think I've seen those at lowes?  I might have to try some of these,  they look like the foot print might be smaller.

According to this my store stocks them.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-90-Degree-PVC-Sch-40-Cross-Tee/3371458

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, SweetToof said:

this is pretty smart, I like less material.

Wood stands are fine for paper but they are lightweight, where with PVC you could fill with sand and cap them. If you shoot steel though you will get a ton of lead and jacket frag in them, not fun to handle. 

Great point!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, tkane said:

I can't seem to find the website anymore that I copied from. I'll try and get a picture in the morning.

This isn't a picture of mine but looks just like it.

pvc swinger.jpg